EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree31Likes

Old 08-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 66

So I'm spending way too much money on tools I'm hearing about here. I'm considering an upgrade to my pocket knife and I was wondering what everyone else was relying on. Mines been discontinued and I'm thinking about a backup or better.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber...fe-Scout--8221

I've been using a Bear Grylls Scout for 5yrs ish.. Don't laugh, I did when my helper bought one it looks cheesy, but everytime I needed a knife he always had it in his pocket. The more I borrowed it the more I realized this cheap junk with some A holes name on it is better than it looks.

With a 3.2" blade, half serrated drop point it handles every job adequately. It's not the best steel but not bad. Works great for nmd, somewhat sharp, if I need a razor I've got one in my pouch.

For $40 you can afford to lose it. The cheesy plastic handles with orange on them is great for visibility, they reduce the weight and get good grip even if ones hands are moist, greasy, aluminum covered etc. It has a perfect weight balance as well, something I didn't think about when I scoffed at it and is super light at 2.5 oz.

It also has a lanyard hole and looks like it's made to lash to a conduit and go spear a DogF**sh. I have put this thing through hell, the clip is high on the knife so it's concealed and it doesn't poke me with the handle or open.

I bought a Scout AO (assisted opening) because I liked it so much, at 3.5 oz I noticed the weight difference and the point broke quickly, the steel was better for an edge but more brittle. Not impressed after 1 year.

I'm considering upgrading but I'm semi remote so shopping is done with strike force precision or Amazon. Looking at the:

Kershaw Volt II (half serrated) 3.5oz AO linerlock
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kersha...I-3650ST--6845

Spiderco Delica 4c11psbbk 2.5oz (lock back)
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyder...-4-Knife--8210

The Volt II is almost guaranteed the twin to what I have except the weight... looks like it handles well, I'm not sure about the AO with that tab, I've had knives like that partially open in my pocket and poke me. I've always been partial to a lock back but I can work with a good linerlock. A shiny blade is good so I can try that sunlight/mirror trick I read about here.

I got a Gerber years ago as a safety award and promptly cut myself the next week because a wiggle in it while stripping let the liner lock release.

Last edited by FishinElectrcian; 08-11-2019 at 07:26 PM.
FishinElectrcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

just use the free ones they give you at the supply house when you buy enough of whatever they are pushing
Old 08-11-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 306

My hands down favorite is the Leatherman Skeletool. I just checked, the price has gone up, it used to be $45 with a nice little LED flashlight, now it's $60. It is no bigger to carry than a regular pocketknife, and you can open the knife one handed, but you get a decent screwdriver and a pliers that's better than using your teeth. If I keep this in my pocket, almost every day it will save me a little time and aggravation when you need a tool for two seconds but don't have it. If it doesn't, at least it opens the mail.

Last edited by splatz; 08-11-2019 at 08:08 PM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,226

EDC[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-edc1.jpg  

Always just a stallion in a china shop

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 08-11-2019 at 10:07 PM.
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Oh you meant work knives...[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-edc2.jpg  

glen1971 likes this.

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 08-11-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

I'm a knife guy from birth; take one piece of advice from me if you never listen to anything else.

Spyderco sucks, the steel is too brittle and the blades break and or snap, they are made to slice, not stab or work.

I must have bought more than a dozen of them and EVERYONE is broken in one way or another.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
My hands down favorite is the Leatherman Skeletool. I just checked, the price has gone up, it used to be $45 with a nice little LED flashlight, now it's $60. It is no bigger to carry than a regular pocketknife, and you can open the knife one handed, but you get a decent screwdriver and a pliers that's better than using your teeth. If I keep this in my pocket, almost every day it will save me a little time and aggravation when you need a tool for two seconds but don't have it. If it doesn't, at least it opens the mail.

The blade looks like that could be an issue if you mishandled it.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I'm a knife guy from birth; take one piece of advice from me if you never listen to anything else.

Spyderco sucks, the steel is too brittle and the blades break and or snap, they are made to slice, not stab or work.

I must have bought more than a dozen of them and EVERYONE is broken in one way or another.
Ok F the Spyderco !!

Hey right on another knife psycho.. I mean enthusiast! 😄

Yeah I don't know what you were posting but I can't see it.. What do you pack as a pocket knife? We're you posting a pic of a CRKT M-16 as your EDC?

That Scout is something I feel naked without and I hardly know I have it. Had a knife since I was 8.. As a connoisseur it surprised me. Dad gave me a dull one told me when I figured out how to sharpen it I could have a sharp one.

That Skeletool looks good for the weight.. But not as useful for me, I have a victorinox I use in the boat when I need that kinda thing.

As far as free knives from the wholesale.. I judge a guy on his pocket knife haha.

Here's mine note the high clip, everything about it is awesome except the opener could be looser and steel better but it's been a prybar many times so I shouldn't complain. It flips around in the hand real well too.
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-img_20190811_1712589_1565568895687.jpg  

Last edited by FishinElectrcian; 08-11-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
Ok F the Spyderco !!

Hey right on another knife psycho.. I mean enthusiast! 😄

Yeah I don't know what you were posting but I can't see it.. What do you pack as a pocket knife? We're you posting a pic of a CRKT M-16 as your EDC?

That Scout is something I feel naked without and I hardly know I have it. Had a knife since I was 8.. As a connoisseur it surprised me. Dad gave me a dull one told me when I figured out how to sharpen it I could have a sharp one.

That Skeletool looks good for the weight.. But not as useful for me, I have a victorinox I use in the boat when I need that kinda thing.

As far as free knives from the wholesale.. I judge a guy on his pocket knife haha.

Here's mine note the high clip, everything about it is awesome except the opener could be looser and steel better but it's been a prybar many times so I shouldn't complain. It flips around in the hand real well too.
Not sure why you couldn't see the pics. I added them in a direct attachment method.

I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek, a CRKT Hissatsu, a SOG Cash Card, and a 'key knife' basically 24/7/365.

I do keep a work blade in my pouch, Kleins, SOG Kilowatt. or similar depending on what I'm working on.

Former boy scout, I like being prepared.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Trained Monkey

Rewards Points: 428

Benchmade Barrage 580’s, one for each hand. I have Kershaws and Sogs but prefer the Benchmades. Pick what has a decent brand of steel and fits your hand well.
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-512da187-86a4-448b-80b7-1afab341c197.jpg  

ppsh and Takideezy like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingBubba View Post
Benchmade Barrage 580’s, one for each hand. I have Kershaws and Sogs but prefer the Benchmades. Pick what has a decent brand of steel and fits your hand well.

Exactly!

I carry a 'slicer' I keep like a razor and a 'stabber' semi tonto that is sharp but not shave quality.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 710

Found a good compromise between high end and everyday usability (who knew people didn't like to cut up boxes with their fancy knife?)

Yeah, it's expensive... buy once cry once, don't lose it or loan it. There are a few cheaper but very durable alternatives made by the big tool manufacturers, they're just not as light and svelte.

http://seproducts.mybigcommerce.com/...uilt-to-order/
MechanicalDVR, splatz and QMED like this.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post

Found a good compromise between high end and everyday usability (who knew people didn't like to cut up boxes with their fancy knife?)

Yeah, it's expensive... buy once cry once, don't lose it or loan it. There are a few cheaper but very durable alternatives made by the big tool manufacturers, they're just not as light and svelte.

http://seproducts.mybigcommerce.com/...uilt-to-order/

I like that, I have a very similar Gerber I carry in my pouch but it costs less than $10.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 710

Quote:
I like that, I have a very similar Gerber I carry in my pouch but it costs less than $10.
Gerber EAB? Okay, so the one I posted is not actually the lightest and most svelte. Can't compete with a razer knife smaller than a credit card that still has a handle. Quite a feat of engineering, those things... somehow they even have a "lite" version.

edit: Popular knife reviewer Nick Shabazz had a lot of good things to say about the EAB Lite...

Last edited by Rora; 08-11-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Rora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:49 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post
Gerber EAB? Okay, so the one I posted is not actually the lightest and most svelte, can't compete with a razer knife smaller than a credit card that still has a handle... quite a feat of engineering, those things.
Pretty true BUT for the price on one you could buy a whole crew the Gerber.

I've had a couple of them going back to like 2004.
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-edc2_li.jpg  

Old 08-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #16

https://www.benchmade.com/barrage-fa...o-barrage-full

Got that one up to 185 with company colours and tough steel haha

Razor knife on the job.. Klein lockback for small, and a Milwaukee fastback for a comfy handle and faster operation it wins for comfyness

And I see the pic now.. How's the klein lockback?
Attached Thumbnails
EDC pocket Knives. What's your weapon of choice?-bmk-cr-knife-stacked_1565579762173.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by FishinElectrcian; 08-12-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
https://www.benchmade.com/barrage-fa...o-barrage-full

Got that one up to 185 with company colours and tough steel haha

Razor knife on the job.. Klein lockback for small, and a Milwaukee fastback for a comfy handle and faster operation it wins for comfyness

And I see the pic now.. How's the klein lockback?
I've worn a couple Kleins out over the years with constant use and sharpening. I like them for a work knife.

The last one I got is the one with the screwdriver blade, holding up better than the older ones, a little different blade hardness. Better stainless.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 306

Quote:
The blade looks like that could be an issue if you mishandled it.
You don't have one of these in the collection?!?

I think I see what your saying, if the blade separates like that in the pliers position could you get a finger in there. I think in normal use you'd have to really try to have it getcha, it's pretty safe handling.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #19
Conservitum Americum

For $13 I've carried this for 3 years.
wildleg likes this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:48 AM   #20
Chief Flunky

Rewards Points: 332

Had the classic farmer Case for years. Upgraded to one of the Gerbers but I always felt like it was a jack of all trades, master of none. Flimsy as pliers, didn’t hold an edge well as a knife, the screwdriver blades couldn’t take much torque. Then used to carry a Klein hawksbill for years mostly working with linemen and ex-linemen. Good skinning knife as long as you keep it sharp. Does everything else pretty well. Recently switched to a Milwaukee Fastback and never looked back. I started with the one without spare blades, “donated” it to a sewage plant tank, and got the blade holder model. It goes everywhere I can carry a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulengr is offline   Reply With Quote