Getting my first car, advice to keep it clean when used for work commute ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
Pull my wire

Rewards Points: 246
Default Getting my first car, advice to keep it clean when used for work commute ?

I'm getting a used car tomorrow, a white 2007 Yaris hatchback 2 doors, the interior has been very nicely cared for and the exterior is in quite good condition too, and I know it's not gonna be easy to keep it that way when I'll be commuting to job sites. To be honest I wanted a Pontiac Vibe because it's made to be abused and won't show much wear (used one of course), but haven't found a good deal yet and I had a very very good deal on the Yaris, which is also a lot better purchase for the same price, but obviously will have to be cared for a lot more. The Vibe has full plastic cargo area and back row seat plastic backing, so that when you fold the rear seats, it makes a nice big flat hard plastic cargo area, perfect to throw in your work gear in the morning and then load up all the muddy dirty tool box and clothing at the end of the day, without staining a carpet or gouging side panels or damaging the paint job on the hatch or bumper.

I'm planning on adding a big carpet in the back with a waterproof under layer to protect the fabric of the cargo area and also on the sides to protect the side panels from gouges, then maybe a towel or some rocker guard on the rear bumper and by the driver's door step so I won't damage the paint when loading the car and banging my boots to clear them. Some seat covers too, since I often get to be all day in attics or very dusty job site with this company, etc.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions to help keep the car clean and protect it without having to care for it too much, because I plan on reselling it when I find the deal I'm looking for on a Vibe and if I can keep it in such a great condition, I could easily sell it back for same or more than I paid for it.

I'm also gonna have a remote starter and sound alarm installed and perhaps a heated steering wheel cover or something to protect my hands from freezing in the morning, since driving with gloves doesn't really gives me a good grip on the steering wheel and is cumbersome. I don't wanna leave any thing in the car overnight (car is insured for theft, but my stuff isn't), so I'll often be loading and unloading a toolbox and duff bag from the car, unless there's an easier way to deal with it ? I see my journey man uses milk crates to drop his tool pouch in and have a tool box dedicated for all the batteries and electronic equipment that uses batteries, so he always bring the case inside after work to keep the batteries from cold and at the same time charge them. He parks the work truck on the street, but again he's insured with his home insurance for all his personal tools in the truck. Right now my own setup consist of two main container, a Dewalt TSTAK deep box that has my tools and lunch and a bag for my hardhat, tool belt and work jacket/coat etc. I was also thinking about a ~20gal storage container that I could drop all my messy stuff in at the end of the day so I wouldn't spread dust and dirt all over the cargo area, but I'm still curious about how you guys do it.

thanks
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,116

Just ask your coworker for a ride to work everyday. Save you that hassle of a cold car ride...
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
Pull my wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
Just ask your coworker for a ride to work everyday. Save you that hassle of a cold car ride...
Lucky, one of the journey man lives not too far, and most of the jobs so far I was paired with him and the jobs happened to be that he would have to drive by my house in the morning on his way there, so I rarely had to drive myself to the job site, except when I was paired with the boss (I would drive to his house then get in his truck) or when I was paired with the other journey man who unfortunately lost his license due to bad luck after a drink, or when there's no room for me in the truck (only one passenger seat) or when it's easier for everyone to drive myself to the job site. Of course when I can save myself from using my own car, I happily do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,487

Keep a pair of driving shoes in the back.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

wtf is a yaris?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i like neat! just doesnt always happen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to papaotis For This Useful Post:
dawgs (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
ET rocks

Rewards Points: 2,174

Young'uns don't drive beat up old, barely legal pick up trucks with no heater anymore?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3xdad For This Useful Post:
dawgs (01-23-2016), emtnut (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #7
Pull my wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xdad View Post
Young'uns don't drive beat up old, barely legal pick up trucks with no heater anymore?
Have you seen the price of these ? You can't afford them at my age !
retiredsparktech likes this.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,605

Dude if you are in the trade,be the trade . Man up and buy a truck!!!!!
emtnut and TheApprentice_ like this.
catsparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
wtf is a yaris?
It's the least expensive new car you can buy.
A good friend of mine bought one to use while the pickup truck he ordered was being built.
I can't imagine a used one.
But,
If it is new to you and rolls. Ya gotta love it.
Oh yeah,
One thing.
Don't leave anything in the car when you get out of it.
Not a paper a book or anything.
Think about how the inside of a nice Car would look when a wealthy person got out, turned it over to someone and took a different car the next day.
Use it for transportation and not for storage.
No papers
No trash
No smoking
No empty commuting beer cans.

Now, if I could do that. It would be a proud day for me.
chicken steve likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #10
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650
Default the list....

Create as many hidey holes within reach as possible, a fake speaker cover is great for stashing a roach or brew....

Figure out how many bodies your trunk can hold & find a drive-in....

Find a nice quilt for the backseat & stash the trojans out of sight....

Install a rear /brake light cutout switch....

Get a musk air freshener....

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
2 + 2 ≠ 5

Rewards Points: 360

If a pickup were out of the question, a minivan would be my next choice. Front wheel drive in snow and better gas mileage are worth it. Continually reconfiguring tools, boots, and other gear to fit inside of a coupe or sedan soon becomes a hassle. The aftermarket offers a wide selection of liners if you want to throw mud-crusted items in back of a minivan. Many used models already have tinted rear glass to not bring attention to what's in back. And it would be nice to say, "sorry, I cannot help you move your refrigerator, couch, etc.--and ignore that trailer hitch receiver in back."

Last edited by derit; 01-23-2016 at 10:30 AM.
derit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,008

Purchase a box of contractor grade trash bags. Take off your dirty boots and clothing, stick them in the bag. Take your dirty tool box. Wipe off excess dirt. Stick it in another bag. Put bags in hatch back. Repeat each day. Problem solved. Or just buy a pickup truck with tool box or cap.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Fond of three phase

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Have you seen the price of these ? You can't afford them at my age !
How many people think like you do? You buy what you can easily afford. People I worked with, used to get on my case about my inexpensive, but practical ride.
The same people had, what they considered, a better vehicle with a large note and lived in a rented home or apartment. Brilliant, hey!
retiredsparktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
Create as many hidey holes within reach as possible, a fake speaker cover is great for stashing a roach or brew....

Figure out how many bodies your trunk can hold & find a drive-in....

Find a nice quilt for the backseat & stash the trojans out of sight....

Install a rear /brake light cutout switch....

Get a musk air freshener....

~CS~
Now that brings back some memories .. oh, the good ol days !
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (01-24-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 70

a yaris?!! be a man!! get a truck and throw a tool box on it and there you go! plus it doesnt look like a grocery getter like a yaris
TheApprentice_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
Pull my wire

Haha, I love you guys, especially chicken man, I wasn't expecting any less of you all

Yeah like I said in my first post, that's not the car I wanted, but I was short on time since the previous car I was using (rented from a friend who was in vacations) had to be returned to him today, which wasn't leaving me with enough time to find the Vibe I wanted, but I'm still looking for the Vibe and trading cars as soon as I find the one. I live downtown, so a big car isn't ideal to park even more during winter time, as we also have a GMC Acadia that isn't used much (my father's car). Plus gas here isn't cheap and since I'm just an apprentice, I don't have to carry stuff around, just myself and my toolbox/work gear. I'm also planing on a 10 000km roadtrip this summer, so I didn't wanted to buy a car that could have reliability issues, because I've seen many Vibe so far and all those in my price range were not in top shape, I will probably have better luck in the spring. I too call it a lady car, but hey, better than nothing and cleaner than most for a first car.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
Fond of three phase

Rewards Points: 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Haha, I love you guys, especially chicken man, I wasn't expecting any less of you all

Yeah like I said in my first post, that's not the car I wanted, but I was short on time since the previous car I was using (rented from a friend who was in vacations) had to be returned to him today, which wasn't leaving me with enough time to find the Vibe I wanted, but I'm still looking for the Vibe and trading cars as soon as I find the one. I live downtown, so a big car isn't ideal to park even more during winter time, as we also have a GMC Acadia that isn't used much (my father's car). Plus gas here isn't cheap and since I'm just an apprentice, I don't have to carry stuff around, just myself and my toolbox/work gear. I'm also planing on a 10 000km roadtrip this summer, so I didn't wanted to buy a car that could have reliability issues, because I've seen many Vibe so far and all those in my price range were not in top shape, I will probably have better luck in the spring. I too call it a lady car, but hey, better than nothing and cleaner than most for a first car.
Are you allowed to buy a car in the US?
There's probably a lot more Pontiac Vibes in the US, than in Canada.
The Vibes were built in California in a joint venture with Toyota called NUMMI.
That's probably their most redeeming quality, as they have a Toyota drive train.
retiredsparktech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #18
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,116

Buy what you can afford. Don't worry about the resale value as you will use it for the next ten years.
Treat it as the tool that it is and not like the Cadillac hope to retire with.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:42 AM   #19
Pull my wire

I could buy in the USA, but with the exchange rate and import taxes, for a $4000 car it's not worth it. There's plenty Vibe here, but it's all about research to find the one that fit the bill. Thanks for the info too.

Wirenuting, I don't plan on keeping the Yaris for more than a year, actually only until I find my Vibe, as it's already 9 years old but in good condition. That's why I want to take good care of the Yaris so I don't loose to much money when I sell it to buy a Vibe.

Today I installed a 1/8" thick rubber carpet in the back and a driver's seat cover, only missing some good bar tape over the steering wheel, a trash can and some bumper liner, all of which I can easily make from what I have at home.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #20
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Ah, the good old days.... I drove a Chevette to work (it came with my wife) for many years. Tough old car but I don't miss it. Life was good when I got a 4x4 Ranger!