Ideal 61-732 clamp meter - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 07-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 50
Default Ideal 61-732 clamp meter

Hey does anyone else have one of these meters? Does your NVC button make a loud screech or does it beep? I'm also at a loss when it comes to using this thing to read amps using the clamp. How exactly do I get a reading? Do I have to set it to Amps? Will it also detect voltage using the clamp or only amperage?
I wish this thing came with a manual
Attached Images

Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,002

usually it will only read amps if its in the amp mode
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Set it to amps chose the aprox ampage place the wire(only the hot wire no ground and only one wire) then you should get a reading. The leads will be used to check voltage and set it to volts first. If you look on their web site you should be able to get instructions,
Richard Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Set the dial to the Amperage setting, which is the "A", and put the clamp around the neutral (white). Remember, if there's no load there will be no reading. There has to be current pulling through.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Alright thanks. I understand how to read amperage with the clamp but this NCV button is still a mystery to me. I sounds like a dying birds last screech. The manual on the Ideal site says it should beep when I press it.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 27

The "dying bird" sound is normal for this Ideal clamp. I know it sounds bad, but that is how it is designed. It is not really a beep.

How much did you pay for it? Lowes has the 61-746 (True RMS Version) on sale for only $69.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
The "dying bird" sound is normal for this Ideal clamp. I know it sounds bad, but that is how it is designed. It is not really a beep.

How much did you pay for it? Lowes has the 61-746 (True RMS Version) on sale for only $69.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought the speaker may have been defective. The online manual says the ncv button allows the meter to be used like a pen tester, reading non-contact voltage.
I got this meter and a bunch of other tools from a friend, payed way less than retail.
Btw what does True RMS mean anyway?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
True RMS is a more accurate meter. If a meter is not TRMS, it just does a peak-to-peak reading. This is fine for probably 90% of the time. But, when reading noisy signals, square waves, offset waveforms, etc, then TRMS gives a better reading.

If you bought it used, then I know you paid less than $69. The 732 is actually an older model, and has been replaced by the 61-744.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #9

BTW,

You can print out a pdf of the 61-732 manual here:

http://idealindustries.com/support/instructions.do
Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 178

Quote:
True RMS is a more accurate meter. If a meter is not TRMS, it just does a peak-to-peak reading. This is fine for probably 90% of the time. But, when reading noisy signals, square waves, offset waveforms, etc, then TRMS gives a better reading.

If you bought it used, then I know you paid less than $69. The 732 is actually an older model, and has been replaced by the 61-744.
Not so. Many are average reading AC meters and as far as peak to peak, many TRMS meter don't have that function built in but you calculate it, RMSx1.414=PP.

On top of that many meters are AC-coupled TRMS which isn't "really" TRMS. The "real" TRMS function will say AC+DC. In Fluke DMMs, only the high end meter have that function.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
root mean square

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
Not so. Many are average reading AC meters and as far as peak to peak, many TRMS meter don't have that function built in but you calculate it, RMSx1.414=PP.
I was trying to give a short and simple answer, without going into a lot of detail. I wasn't trying to say that a TRMS meter gave a peak-to-peak reading (RMSx1.414). I was trying to say that a averaging meter (which is a non-TRMS meter) only looks at the total peak-to-peak signal, and just gives a average RMS reading. In other words, it does not take into account a DC offset, or noise on the signal, or a distorted waveform, square wave, etc. A TRMS meter will sample the waveform at many points, and a non-TRMS will just take a average reading (based off the peak-to-peak signal).
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #13

For "pure" waveforms, simple conversion coefficients exist for equating Peak, Peak-to-Peak, Average (practical, not algebraic), and RMS measurements to one another:

Bear in mind that the conversion constants shown here for peak, RMS, and average amplitudes of sine waves, square waves, and triangle waves hold true only for pure forms of these waveshapes. The RMS and average values of distorted waveshapes are not related by the same ratios:

This is a very important concept to understand when using an analog meter movement to measure AC voltage or current. An analog movement, calibrated to indicate sine-wave RMS amplitude, will only be accurate when measuring pure sine waves. If the waveform of the voltage or current being measured is anything but a pure sine wave, the indication given by the meter will not be the true RMS value of the waveform, because the degree of needle deflection in an analog meter movement is proportional to the average value of the waveform, not the RMS. RMS meter calibration is obtained by "skewing" the span of the meter so that it displays a small multiple of the average value, which will be equal to be the RMS value for a particular waveshape and a particular waveshape only.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 182

Get a O'scope never worry if the waveform is deformed again!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #15

I'd like to see the tool belt that unit fits in.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #16

I've seen a Fluke T5 measure incorrectly on a sine wave signal that wasn't really distorted that much!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
I've seen a Fluke T5 measure incorrectly on a sine wave signal that wasn't really distorted that much!
A Fluke T5 is not TRMS.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Get a O'scope never worry if the waveform is deformed again!
I bought one of these a few years ago at a government surplus sale for $75. It is a very good scope and has about every function available when it was made in the late 70s. Yes it does not fit in my tool bag.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 614

I have the 61-766 and it does the same thing.
does the 61-732 have "tight sight"
heavysparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #20

Quote:
A Fluke T5 is not TRMS.
Yes, I know that but the pont is that it didn't take very much to fool it!

Here's good page about the AC-coupled TRMS meters: http://www.enginova.com/true_rms_volts.htm