ideal tools on clearance at lowes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default ideal tools on clearance at lowes

Went over to lowes to buy some plastic parts organizers and came across Ideal's being marked yellow tag up to 60% off.

This is for a few California Lowe's locations.
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
KFC
Hey Mom, look! No hands..

Rewards Points: 10
Default Ideal and Lowes

Klein went on clearance there too... Right after they signed an exclusive deal with Home Depot... Hmmmm
KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #3

Seems like a good deal? Are the tools good quality? I rarely use ideal except for the benders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Lucky to be Alive

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforthecones View Post
Seems like a good deal? Are the tools good quality? I rarely use ideal except for the benders.
Tools at 60% off are always a good "deal". The question is if they are a good "value". 60% off means they are geeting rid of those tools, because that is blow-out pricing. Now, why are they getting rid of them? If they were good sellers for Lowes, I'm sure they would not be getting blown out. Ideal tools were dropped by Home Depot, and now it looks like Lowes too. That can't be good news for Ideal. If Ideal tools were in demand, these big stores would not be dropping them.
Voltage Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #5

I went and picked up some cushion grip screw driver sets and cutters. I figure at the prices I paid they're good for a spare around my garage or as a spare set of tools on the truck.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
KFC
Hey Mom, look! No hands..

Rewards Points: 10

I emailed Ideal, and they said some of thier tools are made in china.
KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Lucky to be Alive

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
You only needed to look at the packages at Lowes. Made in China and Taiwan.
Voltage Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage Hazard View Post
If Ideal tools were in demand, these big stores would not be dropping them.
True, for the most part, but the stores also weren't selling the good ideal tools, just the basement bargain crap Ideal models. Some screwdrivers were good, and Lowes still sells them. I would wager if HD and Lowes sold the higher end Ideal tools they would give the other brands a hard run for their money.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,248

not all of it is on clearence. just the **** i dont need
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
True, for the most part, but the stores also weren't selling the good ideal tools, just the basement bargain crap Ideal models. Some screwdrivers were good, and Lowes still sells them. I would wager if HD and Lowes sold the higher end Ideal tools they would give the other brands a hard run for their money.
western forge makes the ideal screwdrivers in colorado. Ideal owns that company. western forge also make the craftsman professional line of screwdrivers (the red handle craftsmans that look like snap on) my ideals have held up great i have torqued them down hard and they keep on keepin on. i have had them for about 6 months. the most used one is the 10-1 but the 6in. #2 gets alot of use to. as for ideal pliers they are made by channellock (ideal laseredge line). the little tech drivers are made by matco just rebranded for ideal. the nutdrivers are also made in the USA at western forge. the higher end ideal meters are solid as well however they look a lot like fieldpiece meters
bduerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduerler View Post
western forge makes the ideal screwdrivers in colorado. Ideal owns that company. western forge also make the craftsman professional line of screwdrivers (the red handle craftsmans that look like snap on) my ideals have held up great i have torqued them down hard and they keep on keepin on. i have had them for about 6 months. the most used one is the 10-1 but the 6in. #2 gets alot of use to. as for ideal pliers they are made by channellock (ideal laseredge line). the little tech drivers are made by matco just rebranded for ideal. the nutdrivers are also made in the USA at western forge. the higher end ideal meters are solid as well however they look a lot like fieldpiece meters
WF also makes the Craftsman cushion grip screw/ nutdrivers as well as the Husky cushion grip screw/ nutdrivers. If you look at the tools WF makes they all have "WF" somewhere around the model number.

They do put out some quality products.

Last edited by Colorado Fatboy; 02-03-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Colorado Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Fatboy View Post
WF also makes the Craftsman cushion grip screw/ nutdrivers as well as the Husky cushion grip screw/ nutdrivers. If you look at the tools WF makes they all have "WF" somewhere around the model number.

They do put out some quality products.
Yes sir they sure do all i use for my truck work is craftsman and all i will use at work is ideal hand tools

Last edited by bduerler; 02-03-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
I'm going out to buy those Ideal tools I love crap made in china.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #14

i called an ideal customer service line and threw question after question at them on where their tools were made. anything that involves lowes is the low end line however a supply house carries the made in the USA lines of screwdrivers and nutdrivers and pliers
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
3rd Generation

Rewards Points: 1,010

MN has Ideal on clearance too. Don't bother looking for any screwdrivers at the west saint paul store though because I bought the majority of them. Linesmans are 10 bucks though and some other good deals. Most of the nutdrivers are gone too.
MF Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,248

i went and bought out most of the store by me. extra tools never hurt
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 77

I finally made it to Lowe's today and they had quite a few items at 50% off. Picked up a few misc screwdrivers for about $3 a piece, can't beat that price.
Colorado Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 502

I checked here in Texas for any sales on Friday (2-5-2010). Nothing... was worth a look though.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 4,516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage Hazard View Post
Tools at 60% off are always a good "deal". The question is if they are a good "value". 60% off means they are geeting rid of those tools, because that is blow-out pricing. Now, why are they getting rid of them? If they were good sellers for Lowes, I'm sure they would not be getting blown out. Ideal tools were dropped by Home Depot, and now it looks like Lowes too. That can't be good news for Ideal. If Ideal tools were in demand, these big stores would not be dropping them.
Things don't always make sense in the retail arenas. A chain store that stocks Ideal which has since decided to exclusively sell a different brand might be required to remove all the old brand from their leased shelf space and dedicate it all to the new line, and dump the old line ASAP of the closeout rack.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote