Klein lineman - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree90Likes

Old 12-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Klein lineman

Best way to break in new pliers
Julian65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,705

Return them and buy Knipex. They come smooth as glass from the factory.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

Take them back to the store. Even Milwaukee pliers work straight out of the package and they’re half the price.
0day likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian65 View Post
I've tried all the methods suggested here on the forum and have concluded that nothing works all that well. Return them if they are too tight and always take them out of the package first and test the tightness of the rivet before buying. Or buy any of the other brands out there - Milwaukee, Knipex, Greenlee, Channelock, Ideal, etc.
jelhill and Mr. Lacarno like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I've tried all the methods suggested here on the forum and have concluded that nothing works all that well. Return them if they are too tight and always take them out of the package first and test the tightness of the rivet before buying. Or buy any of the other brands out there - Milwaukee, Knipex, Greenlee, Channelock, Ideal, etc.
IMO, the best method is to spray them with brake cleaner to remove all the grease/oil and then exercise the crap out of them. That helps smooth out the internal surfaces that rub together. Then afterwards re-apply good oil and you're done.

But it takes a lot of work, like sitting there opening and closing them for hours.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,788

I've had good success over the years using Hilti Spray lubricant in the joint, then work them open and closed to flush out any grease.. I don't think it took that long to do, if memory serves. Once they're loose, maintain them.. When (not if) you use them as a beater, use the right side to beat with.. If you use the side that you can see the center pin moving, eventually you'll wind up mushrooming it and they'll be stiff again..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
HackWork (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
I've had good success over the years using Hilti Spray lubricant in the joint, then work them open and closed to flush out any grease.. I don't think it took that long to do, if memory serves. Once they're loose, maintain them.. When (not if) you use them as a beater, use the right side to beat with.. If you use the side that you can see the center pin moving, eventually you'll wind up mushrooming it and they'll be stiff again..
This is SOOO damn true.

Most people use the side with the cutters because the entire face of it is solid, but that side is where the center pin comes thru. When you hit something you "stake" the metal, which makes it harder to open/close.

You have to use the side with the opening, there is less meat on that side to hit with, but the pin is solid there so no worries about making them harder to operate.

Here is an example of staking something. It's an extreme example, but it shows what happens with pliers if you hit with the wrong side:

Klein lineman-screen-shot-2018-12-31-2.20.59-pm.png
glen1971 likes this.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post

I know this is an unpopular opinion among electricians, but Estwing makes a tool to keep from mushrooming your linesmans pliers
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:28 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,186

Valve grinding compound does a nice job breaking in pliers. Apply it to the joint betwen the 2 halves of the pliers and work it up through the joint.
When it is lose enough wash it out with a lubricant. I use SLICK50. make sure you get it all out. Best of luck and happy new year.

LC
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
I know this is an unpopular opinion among electricians, but Estwing makes a tool to keep from mushrooming your linesmans pliers
And it works well, when you have it nearby.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:17 PM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,032

I can't believe you people whack things with the flat of the pliers. That's totally awkward. You hammer with the narrow edge.
stuiec and jelhill like this.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,673

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Estwing makes the BEST non-mushrooming implement .
MechanicalDVR and glen1971 like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #13
Elderly Member

Rewards Points: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Ideal
splatz likes this.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Elderly Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian65 View Post
WD-40 has worked for me before. Sad... Klein used to never have these problems... seemed to start around the late 90s.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
Elderly Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I can't believe you people whack things with the flat of the pliers. That's totally awkward. You hammer with the narrow edge.

Stamping says "M. Klein & Sons - Chicago, Ill U.S.A." Belonged to my wife's grandfather... looks like he was whacking a lot of things with the flat side!
Attached Thumbnails
Klein lineman-old-kleins.jpg  

Klein lineman-old-kleins2.jpg  

Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #16
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Return them and buy Knipex. They come smooth as glass from the factory.
What if you just are not ready for that kind of professional leap?
I can only seem to buy Klein Klein's and Channellock Channellock's
MechanicalDVR and jelhill like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
jelhill (01-02-2019), MechanicalDVR (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #17
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelhill View Post
Ideal
And Channellocks. I think Channellocks made the linemans for Ideal at one point. The Channellocks are like ten dollars less and really nice...
jelhill likes this.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #18
Mensa Player

Quote:
I always hammer with the broad side, not the edge. But you have to hammer with the broad side that has the big cut-out in the cutter area, not the completely flat side.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I always hammer with the broad side, not the edge. But you have to hammer with the broad side that has the big cut-out in the cutter area, not the completely flat side.
I never looked, I take it that's always the side that has the pin staked / peened in the hole, and not damaged because it doesn't rotate anyway...

But but but that's like slapping things instead of chopping them, or throwing like a girl, you aren't - I don't know - you can't wind up or something.
jelhill likes this.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #20
Mensa Player

Quote:
I never looked, I take it that's always the side that has the pin staked / peened in the hole, and not damaged because it doesn't rotate anyway...
Yes, exactly.

I was taught that you never hit the little lineman guy (who is on the side with the cut-out in which the pin rotates on Klein pliers).

Quote:
But but but that's like slapping things instead of chopping them, or throwing like a girl, you aren't - I don't know - you can't wind up or something.
It's the same amount of force, but a broader head. The edge is rounded and more likely to slip off and hit your hand.