klein lineman knife - Page 3 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #41
Master Electrician
 
electricalperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,684
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Good for you. I can change a utility knife blade in a couple seconds. Sounds like a superior waste of time to sharpen a knife. We're in a throw-away society. Get with the program.
well i like using that knife and i dont like using a razor blade. thats how i feel and thats the end of that. i could care less what somebody uses to strip wire with. i like my knife
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #42
Wire Ninja
 
MDShunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Cumberland Valley, in PA
Posts: 20,984
Rewards Points: 6,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post
well i like using that knife and i dont like using a razor blade. thats how i feel and thats the end of that. i could care less what somebody uses to strip wire with. i like my knife
Do you sleep with it under your pillow too?

Just wondering.
__________________
One reason not to give DIY advice:
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him.
Teach a man to fish and you’ve ruined a good business opportunity.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Master Electrician
 
electricalperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,684
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Do you sleep with it under your pillow too?

Just wondering.
no of course not! i sleep with it in my arms and tuck it into bed at night
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 75
Default

I use this:



http://idealindustries.ca.previewyou...tricians_knife

Says right there electricians knife. Obviously the only one I should be using
Yillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 242
Rewards Points: 150
Default

I use one of these most of the time...



http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/case_delr...dle_knives.htm

As for utility knives I think they're too sharp for stripping... but for all the people that use them and think they break all the time should invest in one that take extra heavy duty blades...

http://www.olfa.com/UtilityKnivesDetail.aspx?C=39&Id=26
Lz_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #46
Master Electrician
 
electricalperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,684
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

the lenox blades are pretty good and last a long time. i buy the cheap 2 dollar packages of blades and they work fine for whatever i just dont use them that much. i use them mainly to cut sheetrock and score plaster before i cut it with a saw
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #47
R.I.P. 2014
 
randomkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ocean, NJ
Posts: 4,722
Rewards Points: 4
Default

I use what I am used to and that has been a hawkbill for many years, I have the folding one and the regular lineman's and the half serrated one as well.

In regard to the razor knives let me share this. A few months ago a good friend was using one on some larger mcm in a tight spot in a sidewalk splice box. He slipped and cut his hand and wrist, cutting a few tendons and ligaments. He needed some speciality hand-wrist surgery. The workers comp carrier sent a letter to the company safety officer about the incident. He was written up and was given time off without pay, filed a greevance with the hall and lost. Bottom line was he wasn't using the tool that was designed for the task at hand.
__________________
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Aiken Colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Here is a list of all the Knipex ones. Scroll down the page a little for the links.

http://www.aikencolon.com/1000V-Insu..._c_1034-1.html

We recently just sold LA Power & Light a ton of these, and obviously put Knipex out of US stock on some of them. Select models are now on back order until May 8th.

JJ
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 128
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
In regard to the razor knives let me share this. A few months ago a good friend was using one on some larger mcm in a tight spot in a sidewalk splice box. He slipped and cut his hand and wrist, cutting a few tendons and ligaments. He needed some speciality hand-wrist surgery. The workers comp carrier sent a letter to the company safety officer about the incident. He was written up and was given time off without pay, filed a greevance with the hall and lost. Bottom line was he wasn't using the tool that was designed for the task at hand.
Well that does suck about your friend. I think it is somewhat funny how so many are using the "wrong" tools for such a critical part of their job. This is a bad result of it sure but that injury at least had something to do with the tight space. Also, that union sounds rediculous there has to be more to the story. Time off without pay for cutting his wrist while stripping cable only because he was using a razor blade knife? Really?


I also distinctly remember being discouraged for trying a hooked knife when I started the trade and was looking at everyones tools. We had some out of work guys in the shop just stripping scrap copper and they were using them and both the manager and shop foreman dismissed them as unsafe.

This is a fairly polarizing little issue,no?
paulcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
gilbequick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,959
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
Here is a list of all the Knipex ones. Scroll down the page a little for the links.

http://www.aikencolon.com/1000V-Insu..._c_1034-1.html

We recently just sold LA Power & Light a ton of these, and obviously put Knipex out of US stock on some of them. Select models are now on back order until May 8th.

JJ
Those look nice. What is the purpose of this tool, and how do you use it? http://www.aikencolon.com/Knipex-98-..._p_0-1534.html

Which ones did LA Power & Light purchase and do you have 98 52 9852 or 98 54 9854 in stock?
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Aiken Colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
Those look nice. What is the purpose of this tool, and how do you use it? http://www.aikencolon.com/Knipex-98-..._p_0-1534.html

Which ones did LA Power & Light purchase and do you have 98 52 9852 or 98 54 9854 in stock?
Gil,

It was actually the LA Dept. of Water & Power. He ordered 20 of the 98 55 knives for their CA & NV divisions. The 98 55 has a "Guide Shoe" at the tip of the blade. The way it was explained it to me, the guide shoe allows the user to get into wire insulation without initially cutting the insulation. At least, I think that's what he said. At the moment, I'm waiting to hear back from our Knipex rep. We're trying to get our hands on any of their knives as we currently have no stock on any models, and they're screaming backorder. I will know more tomorrow. One thing I do know, LA Dept. wanted to try 20 of them and if they liked 'em they were gonna call back and outfit all or most of their crews with them. I guess the company that made the old ones they've been using is not around anymore.

Chris
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 03-31-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 PM   #52
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 247
Rewards Points: 150
Default

i still have my orange duckbill from 1984. It was my 1st klein knife that my dad bought me when I went to Tech school in fact, its the only original tool I have to this date. I put it up so I wouldnt lose it, now i cant remember where i left it...I use razor blades but i am careful about cutting into the copper itself.
redbeard43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Aiken Colon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 385
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Ok, spoke with Knipex today. They just got in 60pcs of the 98 55 and I snatched up 20 of them for inventory. I don't want to be scrambling when the call comes in for more of those.

Chris
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #54
R.I.P. 2014
 
randomkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ocean, NJ
Posts: 4,722
Rewards Points: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcanada View Post
Well that does suck about your friend. I think it is somewhat funny how so many are using the "wrong" tools for such a critical part of their job. This is a bad result of it sure but that injury at least had something to do with the tight space. Also, that union sounds rediculous there has to be more to the story. Time off without pay for cutting his wrist while stripping cable only because he was using a razor blade knife? Really?


I also distinctly remember being discouraged for trying a hooked knife when I started the trade and was looking at everyones tools. We had some out of work guys in the shop just stripping scrap copper and they were using them and both the manager and shop foreman dismissed them as unsafe.

This is a fairly polarizing little issue,no?


When it happened and he was given time off I talked to several guys from the local about it and found out it isn't that uncommon of an accident. That is one of a few that get red flagged by insurance groups pretty often.
__________________
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #55
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,095
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

I wonder how many Klein electricians knives it would take to make a boat anchor....
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
gilbequick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,959
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
I wonder how many Klein electricians knives it would take to make a boat anchor....
How much do you weigh?
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #57
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,095
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
How much do you weigh?

Ten billion pounds.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 PM   #58
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 247
Rewards Points: 150
Default

i like it when someone starts a subject and then there are advertisements on that thread that deals with the subject..
redbeard43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #59
Master Electrician
 
electricalperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 2,684
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard43 View Post
i like it when someone starts a subject and then there are advertisements on that thread that deals with the subject..
i think it has to do with keywords.

i used my hawkbill knife today to strip romex and it worked wonderful!
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,095
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post
i used my hawkbill knife today to strip romex and it worked wonderful!
Fantastic! Now get with the program and buy a romex stripper!
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
knipex lineman pliers 481apprentice Tools, Equipment and New Products 96 11-28-2013 02:22 PM
Journeymen Lineman DavidHutton Linework 24 01-13-2010 03:08 PM
Lineman vs Electrician Matt7777 General Electrical Discussion 14 01-23-2009 10:12 PM
rapid shark knife daddymack Tools, Equipment and New Products 13 10-09-2008 10:03 AM
Klein 87904 Tool Belt pad *For you Klein Fans* gatti Electrician Swap 2 05-03-2008 10:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com