Are Kleins better than Ideals? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 538
Default Are Kleins better than Ideals?

I have been using kleins since i first started but as of late have started buyin ideals. which brand is better or are there products the same quality?
bduerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduerler View Post
I have been using kleins since i first started but as of late have started buyin ideals. which brand is better or are there products the same quality?
IMO They are not equal. I do not like ideal. The only ideal I have is their coax stripper. One notch for the outer shield, and one for inner. It works really well.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

This is like asking, "which is better, Ford or Chevy". Everyone will each have their own opinion. I think they're pretty close, all in all. It all depends on what you get used to. The trend is clear lately, however, that Klein quality seems to have slipped. That's been my experience, anyhow. Ideal does not seem to have suffered a slip in quality, so it appears to me.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

well i have not had any problems with klein or the warranty that everyone is having but i also try not to destroy my tools to much. but as of late its getting harder to find places to warranty kleins where i have heard that ideal is no questions asked.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

That questions is also dependant on which Ideal tool you get. They have 3 different lines in their hand tools. Workman (imported), LazerEdge (USA), Insulated (USA). We gave a bunch of these away for free, in return for some reviews, about a year ago.

The Workman ones got exactly what you would expect for reviews (marginal to average).

The LazerEdge all got great reviews, and so did the Insulated.

There is a premium pair of linesman pliers, but I would not consider those practical to buy, due to the cost.

JJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

i buy usa all the way. but how do their screwdrivers and nutdrivers hold up?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

Quote:
i buy usa all the way. but how do their screwdrivers and nutdrivers hold up?
Not sure about the nutdrivers now a days, but the screwdrivers are actually Wiha screwdrivers. Ideal has a set made just for them, and then throws their label on them. The handle still has the Wiha stamp in it.

JJ

Old 10-02-2009, 07:09 PM   #8

never tried wiha but my friend swears buy them and two of my uncles recently made the switch from klein to ideal and love everything ideal has to offer. i have been using kleins for six years now but i did buy an ideal 10 in 1 and 8 in. dykes and that knife to anvil system it uses i dont like to much but i could get used to it if i make the switch as for the 10 in 1 i prefer the klein but i am willing to give ideal a good long try
Old 10-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #9

i do have a question about the warranty on ideals. i went to exchange one of my klein flatheads and the guy behind the counter pulled out a klein warranty rule book and would not take back my screwdriver because i used it as a chisel. is ideal that hard on their warranty or are they really no questions asked no hassle??????
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
i do have a question about the warranty on ideals. i went to exchange one of my klein flatheads and the guy behind the counter pulled out a klein warranty rule book and would not take back my screwdriver because i used it as a chisel. is ideal that hard on their warranty or are they really no questions asked no hassle??????
lol that is crazy. I also heard through the rumor mill that Klein is also doing away with their over the counter warranty. Meaning you have to send your stuff back to Klein, then wait. Like I said just a rumor, but I know of other manufactures that recently started doing that, so it wouldn't shock me if Klein started also.

I had to pay $20 per bag to get on my flight a few weeks back. The corporations are out of control.

Ideal still has their over the country warranty in effect. Based on my experience Ideal is the best customer service tool company that I have seen. Fluke is right there with them. The only difference is the shear number of Ideal dealers that are out there, so it makes it easier for you guys to get your tools replaced.

JJ

Old 10-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post

There is a premium pair of linesman pliers, but I would not consider those practical to buy, due to the cost.

JJ
Yeah what is with those?!? 100+ dollars is a little crazy. What suppose to make those better than a pair half the price.
mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #12

hey what about knipex? is that a good brand? and i also found this brand called wera its a stainless stell screwdriver anyone use either one of these any input would be nice
Old 10-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
hey what about knipex? is that a good brand? and i also found this brand called wera its a stainless stell screwdriver anyone use either one of these any input would be nice
Not to give you a hard time, but you may want to look around a bit...Knipex is a very popular brand around here, as is Wera. I had to check out your post profile to check to see if you were being sarcastic...lol!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood View Post
Not to give you a hard time, but you may want to look around a bit...Knipex is a very popular brand around here, as is Wera. I had to check out your post profile to check to see if you were being sarcastic...lol!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

no im not being sarcastic lol. all i have ever known and used is klein and am now trying some ideals which are starting to grow on me. not to sound like i dont get out much but i never heard of knipex or wera until i joined the forum lol. but thanks for the welcome i will continue to search around
Old 10-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Knipex and Wera are popular European brands. The European brands, whatever they might be, are of generally higher quality than the brands most popularly sold in the US. They come with a generally higher price also.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 31
Default replace your Kleins

I know that Ideal lineman's are just channellock pliers with different grips
Greenlee comes from Asia. Klein was just droppped by Lowe's. You might want to try Knipex from Germany. Ideal also has a line form asia too
Tulbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 31
Default Changes at Klein

Quote:
no im not being sarcastic lol. all i have ever known and used is klein and am now trying some ideals which are starting to grow on me. not to sound like i dont get out much but i never heard of knipex or wera until i joined the forum lol. but thanks for the welcome i will continue to search around
there sure sweems to be a lot of complaints about Klein lately. Why?
Tulbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,000

I like klein more than I like Ideal tools.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulbox View Post
I don't have any complaints.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulbox View Post

i love my kleins i have had no problems with them at all its just when i travel some of the suppliers dont carry klein they carry ideal or vice versa but i have never had quality problems only problems with certain retailers doing the warranty exchange, but thats not a problem now i have two places that do it no questions asked for klein and one for ideal. after using ideal for a couple of months i have to say they are a good quality tool and i will continue to buy and use there products but i still love my kleins over all others