Knipex 10" 8702250 cobra pliers with comfort grip - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree8Likes

Old 05-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Knipex 10" 8702250 cobra pliers with comfort grip

I'm trying to find these in the old style with the flared handles not the new style with smooth handles. Let me know if your supply house has them in stock.
JRelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,374

What makes them more useful than let's say a pair of 420 Channellocks
bobbarker likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
Spunk#7 (05-19-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
A jaw design that grips 10x better than channelock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelectrician View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knipex-87022...-/371389866686
Speedy Petey and Big John like this.
ppsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #5

The problem is Knipex changed the design of the handles. All of the auctions on eBay have pictures up of the old style but then send the new style. I've already returned 4 pairs trying to find them to match the one pair I have.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 546

I've tried all the German tools mentioned on this site(not screw drivers) and the only thing I found even close to the USA trade standard tools is the NWS cable cutters!
Spunk#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,782

Quote:
I got a coupon in my email so I tried a pair of the Knipex alligators. They are excellent, a little lighter than channellocks, they have that box joint - kind of like channellocks linesman pliers have. Screwing around I tested them a bit and they do squeeze a little tighter, but I don't think double or anything like that.

Either one is more than adequate for me. I use them for emt compression fittings and rigid fittings and little else.

The Channellocks are less than half the price, very reasonable for a high quality made in USA tool. I will stick to Channellocks in the future.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 52

I've been using the alligator style for 5 years and will never go back to Channellocks. Mine have the single material smooth handles, but the flared grips are available online.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Speedy Petey likes this.
Jarp Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
nbb

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
For me, it was the box joint, easier to adjust and stays in it's adjusted place better. A narrower head, and wider adjustment range. I have the Knipex Cobras, and while the Channel locks are ok, I much prefer the Cobras.
nbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
For me, it was the box joint, easier to adjust and stays in it's adjusted place better. A narrower head, and wider adjustment range. I have the Knipex Cobras, and while the Channel locks are ok, I much prefer the Cobras.
The box joint, narrower head and jaw style are key for me. Box joint makes it strong enough for some serious side loading strength, narrow head makes it easy to grab a locknut that doesn't want to catch, hex-style jaws give much better grip on round or hex shapes and the tips are actually fine enough to precisely grip small things without mashing them in the aggressive teeth of Channys

Old 05-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #11

I still can't find the flared handles online, I received about 4 pairs from EBay and all are the smooth handles. I'm hoping an electrical supplier has a pair leftover before they change to the smooth handle.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 546

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ers/8802250SBA
LuckyLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #13
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,374

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbb View Post
Thanks I was wondering why guys are buying these.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRelectrician View Post
I'm trying to find these in the old style with the flared handles not the new style with smooth handles. Let me know if your supply house has them in stock.
They are not old and new styles, rather they are standard grip and comfort grip. Comfort grip being the thicker, flared, dual colour ones. From the factory they are significantly more expensive which I am sure is why eBay sellers are duping you. You should be paying around 40 bucks for a pair. Buy from an online merchant using that model number you have and you will get the right ones. (The standard grip model number is 87 01 250.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I got a coupon in my email so I tried a pair of the Knipex alligators. They are excellent, a little lighter than channellocks, they have that box joint - kind of like channellocks linesman pliers have. Screwing around I tested them a bit and they do squeeze a little tighter, but I don't think double or anything like that.

Either one is more than adequate for me. I use them for emt compression fittings and rigid fittings and little else.

The Channellocks are less than half the price, very reasonable for a high quality made in USA tool. I will stick to Channellocks in the future.
The Alligators are Knipex's budget model. Still better than channel locks imo because of the head design gripping better and being narrower. The Cobra model is another level of better over the Alligator. This because the adjustment is finer (roughly 25 positions) and because once torq is applied to the tool you no longer have to apply squeeze force. You can literally just push on the top handle without touching the bottom one and still turn things. Not a big deal for a few fittings here and there but if you're running a trapeze run with 20 pipes all day it helps tremendously.

Quote:
Thanks I was wondering why guys are buying these.
Something else very important that I didn't notice mentioned and the reason I first looked into Knipex... they cant pinch you. Such a simple and elegant design feature that alone is worth the extra price.

Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,782

Question for someone with the Cobras or etc. On the alligator it's a little tough to grab a locknut because the head is thinner than the handles so it doesn't lay flat. Channellocks are the same thickness at the axle as the head so that lay flat and grab a thin thing like a locknut on a flat surface.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Question for someone with the Cobras or etc. On the alligator it's a little tough to grab a locknut because the head is thinner than the handles so it doesn't lay flat. Channellocks are the same thickness at the axle as the head so that lay flat and grab a thin thing like a locknut on a flat surface.
That is true, but it grabs just fine at an angle. It actually means I can get more action out of it, because I can grab it by the tips of the jaws at the rounds of the locknut instead of possibly across the flares, which keeps it lower profile in case I need to turn the locknut instead of the connector in a busy box. Happens fairly regularly with BX whips in a suspended ceiling box. I don't like beating on those ones with a screwdriver because one brand of those lock nut flares have a one-direction roundover that lets the tip slip too easily, and the floppy boxes prevent firm, solid blow transmission.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 246

http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8702250...0"+cobra+plier
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 3,134

Are Knipex made in the USA?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Are Knipex made in the USA?
I'm pretty sure their manufacturing facility is in Germany. They're too elegant to be made here , we Americans make Brute Force devices

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 664

I would try talking to the guys at kctoolco.com and see if they have any old stock. They stock a LOT on knipex and have really good customer service, no affiliation I just buy lots of stuff from them and have had great service.
KennyW is offline   Reply With Quote