Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree24Likes

Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Default Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.

I have wanted to order these Knipex (pliars/ channel locks/slip joint/ bla bla bla's) for a while. Lost my Milwaukee channies. (Which I want crazy about) So I finally got them... and their junk. They slip, wont lock in place, the button protrudes an eighth inch high. They seem to have a lot of flex in them and just seem like an inferior tool to the others I have had. I do like that they wont pinch your finger in between handles. But that's about all I like and i dont like it more then I'd like my 30 bucks back. So my question is... does anyone have these same issues? Could this just be a s#!+y pair, or maybe even a knock-off...?? Got them off Amazon. Dont recall the sellers name. But I do remember kctool having one of the lowest prices. Could be kctool. Thanks enjoy ur sunday!!
Attached Thumbnails
Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.-15395222162556919653141726670389_1539522253850.jpg  

Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.-15395222628992460482133501586481_1539522279963.jpg  

Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.-15395222916373652029363803736734_1539522307973.jpg  

Woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,872

I have the 7" and love them. I've carried them for years. I'd buy another if I lost them. They're good up to 1" fittings.

The pliers having flex is weird. My knipex have always been very rigid and light.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,209

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I have the 7" and love them. I've carried them for years. I'd buy another if I lost them. They're good up to 1" fittings.

The pliers having flex is weird. My knipex have always been very rigid and light.

Never trust a guy who puts stickers on his MacBook and then puts a pair of pliers on top .
cwsims84 and greenman like this.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2018, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,875

Wow, "they slip"?? The Cobras grip better than any other channel lock I have ever used. The button is supposed to stick out, that is how buttons work, they stick out so you can press them in. I love mine.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

I found my Milwaukee's in the yard after I ordered the knipex and here's a side by side. Other then the fact that the Milwaukee pair will fracture your poor lil pinky finger if it slips... it's just a better tool imo. I know they are different designs. I'm sure Milwaukee has a slide joint type available but they are the same tool. Milwaukee has a longer griping surface, wider, more comfortable grip(for me), does not slip(often), cost half of the knipex brands price, and just seems like it will last 4ever. Also, I friggen hate Milwaukee as a brand. Every trunk slamming, "i turned that wire off" goofball in America uses their S#!T. But they do make a decent product usually... very disappointed with my first purchase from knipex. Really hope it's an isolated issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.-15395241132247684295331594990841_1539524362851.jpg  

Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Wow, "they slip"?? The Cobras grip better than any other channel lock I have ever used. The button is supposed to stick out, that is how buttons work, they stick out so you can press them in. I love mine.
It's a lil to far. It's going to be pushed inadvertently. I'm sure of that.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woot View Post
I never pushed it inadvertently, nor have I seen anyone ever complain about it in all the glowing reviews I have seen for the Cobras.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Quote:

Never trust a guy who puts stickers on his MacBook and then puts a pair of pliers on top [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.electriciantalk.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] .

How bout a guy who values his tools more then his KIDS MAC BOOK. 🤣🤣 can u trust him?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
I found my Milwaukee's in the yard after I ordered the knipex and here's a side by side. Other then the fact that the Milwaukee pair will fracture your poor lil pinky finger if it slips... it's just a better tool imo. I know they are different designs. I'm sure Milwaukee has a slide joint type available but they are the same tool. Milwaukee has a longer griping surface, wider, more comfortable grip(for me), does not slip(often), cost half of the knipex brands price, and just seems like it will last 4ever. Also, I friggen hate Milwaukee as a brand. Every trunk slamming, "i turned that wire off" goofball in America uses their S#!T. But they do make a decent product usually... very disappointed with my first purchase from knipex. Really hope it's an isolated issue.
The Milwaukees being longer isn't an advantage, you buy the length that you need. As for them being wider, the Knipex are purposely narrower so that they can fit into tighter spaces.

I love Milwaukee as a brand, but I know that the Knipex are much better.

And you bring up the Knipex slipping again, I think you need to try it again. In actual use I have found that this video is true:

tmessner and TheLivingBubba like this.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Quote:
I never pushed it inadvertently, nor have I seen anyone ever complain about it in all the glowing reviews I have seen for the Cobras.
Me either. All 5 stars. Every site. Great reviews on YouTube... That's why I'm so confused bro.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Me either. All 5 stars. Every site. Great reviews on YouTube... That's why I'm so confused bro.
Because you made up the issue of the button sticking out to far, you pulled it out of then air. It never caused an issue for you, yet you are sure that it will be an issue
Old 10-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

The gripping surface does not slip. The center button is not locking in place to adjust the size. It slips 50% of the time. Especially when their fully opened. That's like 99.9% chance it wont lock... I have seen that video many times bro. I love german tools. I wanted these to be awesome. Their just not. 😤
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #13

Lolzzzz .. how about this... I have reasonable suspicion that it could possibly be an issue...

so anyway...

Ill take it that everyone else is very happy with their knipex cobra's?

Could just be these particular pair.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
The gripping surface does not slip. The center button is not locking in place to adjust the size. It slips 50% of the time.
Then it sounds as if you have a defective pair. That should not slip ever.

Quote:
Their just not.
Exchange them for a working pair and you will love them.
Southeast Power likes this.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #15

I really hope so man. Because I was excited about these stupid things. I'll try a return and different seller. I'll post the results.

On another possible knock off topic. A buddy sent me pics Friday from a knock off site "Allibabba" or something similar to that... they are selling tons of knock off milwaukee products. I was not aware ppl were making knock off tools these days. So watch them cheap deals from them local online ads. I mean the prices are usually a dead giveaway but does anyone have a way of identifying the knockoffs by the picture?
HackWork likes this.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,872

I have had my 7" for about 7 years. Even with the teeth worn they are not likely to slip if they were set properly to begin with. The button works off a little bent metal spring on the back, maybe it's defective?

HackWork likes this.
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 414

Quote:
I really hope so man. Because I was excited about these stupid things. I'll try a return and different seller. I'll post the results.

On another possible knock off topic. A buddy sent me pics Friday from a knock off site "Allibabba" or something similar to that... they are selling tons of knock off milwaukee products. I was not aware ppl were making knock off tools these days. So watch them cheap deals from them local online ads. I mean the prices are usually a dead giveaway but does anyone have a way of identifying the knockoffs by the picture?
Alibaba is the largest retailer in the world, bigger than E bay Walmart and Amazon combined, hardly a "knock off site.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Alibaba is the largest retailer in the world, bigger than E bay Walmart and Amazon combined, hardly a "knock off site.
The fact that they are so big simply means that they are selling that many more millions of tons of knock-off products. Amazon also sells a huge amount of knock-off products, just go and type “Milwaukee battery” into the Amazon search and you will see.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 694

I had a pair and accidentally tore the button off after it got caught against the side of a gearbox. Since then i have used the knipex with out the button. The insulated ones are crap which is weird as you would have thought they would be the same with different handles but they dont seem to have the same gripping power.

The ones i have are great for removing small screws where the head had been damaged and the screw driver no longer grips. They grip so tight on the tips that they leave teeth marks on the screw head.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #20

Quote:
I have had my 7" for about 7 years. Even with the teeth worn they are not likely to slip if they were set properly to begin with. The button works off a little bent metal spring on the back, maybe it's defective?

The teeth are awesome. Center pins slipping. Wish I could load a video. But Back of these has no spring, Metal tensioner with a small Allen screw...
Attached Thumbnails
Knipex 10" channel locks... gotta be a joke.-15395290952872249380609940453767_1539529109082.jpg