Labor saving devices? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Ditch Digging Dummy

Rewards Points: 52
Default Labor saving devices?

Has anyone had good experiences with labor saving devices fish sticks? You might call them glo rods or whatever. We have always used the ideal glo stix but I have ordered a set of the labor saving devices to give them a shot. Any word on them?
3D Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Electric View Post
Has anyone had good experiences with labor saving devices fish sticks? You might call them glo rods or whatever. We have always used the ideal glo stix but I have ordered a set of the labor saving devices to give them a shot. Any word on them?
Yup those fish sticks are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Can't speak for their new ones, I have a set of their original super-skinny ones that they don't make any more.

But I'm sure the new ones will do the job.
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

I've only used the Greenlee ones and have had good luck with them. Except for the one I broke off in a ceiling!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

steel tape, nylon tape, fish sticks - they all have their place depending on the job. the sticks are handy for a bunch of things.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have the glo sticks.. haven't actually found a need for the glowing, but might be useful one day.
FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFokker View Post
I have the glo sticks.. haven't actually found a need for the glowing, but might be useful one day.
if you stick it through a hole from the ceiling in to a dark attic space, once you are in the attic you don't have to search as much
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmy21 For This Useful Post:
papaotis (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFokker View Post
I used to send a 15' length down crowded ceilings in hospitals. After walking 4 ceiling tiles down I'd open the next tile and look for the end of the stick. Sometimes it would be mixed in with dozens of cat5 strung thru the ceiling for data, phone, and, telemetry. Having glow sticks really helps in this instance.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendon View Post
I've only used the Greenlee ones and have had good luck with them. Except for the one I broke off in a ceiling!!!
were you being a little impatient?

i like neat! just doesnt always happen
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 154

I love them. Have a total of 72' of them and keep buying more as they break. Broke the one I bought first and use almost everyday for 3 years just the other day. I'd say about 1000 times of usage is worth the money!
Wired4Life10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
were you being a little impatient?
Maybe, just maybe. Crazy remodels. Wedged in the ceiling joist above the plaster and the end stayed up there!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 634

Grabbit
18 ft. Telescoping pole with push buttons to lock the sections.

10 out of 10 rating

Magna Pull

10 out of 10

I have several pairs of these. Beats fishing with a wire.

Here's a tip. When you're making a wire drop into a wall drill a second hole about 4 inches from the other hole in the top plate for the flashlight and to see where the wire is. Hole size about 3/4 inch.

Looking down the same hole as the wire restricts your view to a single eye eliminating the normal stereo view thus eliminating depth perception.
Using the two hole method gives you your normal stereoscopic view back so you can probably hit the spot you are trying to hit without fishing.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LARMGUY For This Useful Post:
8V71 (08-27-2013)