LeGrands new Product - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Moderator

 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 21,159
Rewards Points: 1,322
Default LeGrands new Product

Check out these new Legrand products- especially the receptacle in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOOTxDaIVUs
__________________
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard
 
wildleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere in FL
Posts: 13,547
Rewards Points: 1,038
Default

nice idea, but that does not look like something that's built to last. just my 02
__________________
this message was sent from a dental floss farm using ZappaTalk and a pair of zirconium encrusted tweasers
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Moderator

 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 21,159
Rewards Points: 1,322
Default

I can see many areas where this may be desired. It will be interesting to see.

I notice Lowes has a full range of switches that are finger touch or motion sensitive at close range
__________________
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Moderator

 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 21,159
Rewards Points: 1,322
Default

Here is the Lowes page full line. Click Here
__________________
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,697
Rewards Points: 565
Default

Damn it, more stuff I need to worry about stocking


Let me guess, 50 new colors for each device
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
papaotis (08-31-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DE/PA
Posts: 59
Rewards Points: 49
Default

that pop out receptacle seems pretty neat
electricdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, Eh!
Posts: 2,507
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
nice idea, but that does not look like something that's built to last. just my 02
Good.

We as electricians need to clue into the planned obsolescence game.

What good is doing an electrical installation that will last 100 years? You wont even last 100 years.

We need more work!
FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FastFokker For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Moderator

 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 21,159
Rewards Points: 1,322
Default

Well I just had a customer call me to install a bunch of these- funny how that is. I'll let you all know how that goes.
__________________
They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
I can't help it if I'm lucky
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 189
Rewards Points: 150
Default

I'm starting a house next week and these aware what the homeowner has requested. But the strange is that they cost $ 49 a piece ! He wants 40 receptacles and a about 25 switches ! That is a little priceee !
Dfresh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
foothillselectrical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SC
Posts: 124
Rewards Points: 195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork
Damn it, more stuff I need to worry about stocking

Let me guess, 50 new colors for each device
Why is it that electricians think they need to stock two of everything made on their vans? I fight the same battles, and am beginning to question it. The HVAC guys around here carry only the basics, and if they need something that is too specialized or carrys to many options to possibly stock them all, they charge a $49 trip charge to go get it. Why can't we do that? Why don't we all do that so that it is the "expected standard?"
foothillselectrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Donuts > Fried Eggs
 
Big John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 17,054
Rewards Points: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfresh64 View Post
I'm starting a house next week and these aware what the homeowner has requested. But the strange is that they cost $ 49 a piece ! He wants 40 receptacles and a about 25 switches ! That is a little priceee !
If I was you, I would do everything under the sun to make that customer my new best friend.

I like those hide-away receptacles. Not enough to spend $49 a piece, but I do think they're clean looking, and I like that you can plug into the sides.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,697
Rewards Points: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillselectrical View Post
Why is it that electricians think they need to stock two of everything made on their vans? I fight the same battles, and am beginning to question it. The HVAC guys around here carry only the basics, and if they need something that is too specialized or carrys to many options to possibly stock them all, they charge a $49 trip charge to go get it. Why can't we do that? Why don't we all do that so that it is the "expected standard?"
I dunno. I think it's more professional having a full stock of items like that. Also, HVAC work is usually necessary work. A lot of our work is completely voluntary. If you're at someone's house to fix something and they ask for a price of a new receptacle installed somewhere, they might be ok with your installation price but telling them it's going to take you an hour to go out and get the right color device and cover plate and they have to pay for that time might make them say "nevermind, don't worry about it".
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Big John (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
:-)
 
daveEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 3,670
Rewards Points: 2,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
If you're at someone's house to fix something and they ask for a price of a new receptacle installed somewhere, they might be ok with your installation price but telling them it's going to take you an hour to go out and get the right color device and cover plate and they have to pay for that time might make them say "nevermind, don't worry about it".
True, but my truck really isn't a City Bus towing a 19 foot trailer. If they want it now they pay else I come back some other day.

I have a customer now that wanted his switches changed. No problem except for the fan control switch. He has no problem waiting a bit and I'll probably do it as a 'drive by' as he has paid me already. been a week now tho.
__________________
<<
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
Mensa Player
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 33,697
Rewards Points: 565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
True, but my truck really isn't a City Bus towing a 19 foot trailer. If they want it now they pay else I come back some other day.

I have a customer now that wanted his switches changed. No problem except for the fan control switch. He has no problem waiting a bit and I'll probably do it as a 'drive by' as he has paid me already. been a week now tho.
I don't think you need a city bus or a 19' trailer for resi service, just some good organization.

I believe in the upsells, that's where all the money is. You're already at the house so the normal wastes of time have already been paid for (commute to the job, commute back from job, setup, meet and greet, cleanup, wait for check to be written, sitting at bank waiting on slow teller, office time to enter invoice, etc. etc). That was all paid for by the original job you went there to do. Now the upsells that you can do on the spot are where you can really make the money.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: ∙
Posts: 7,230
Rewards Points: 340
Default

I just carry white decora and a few white non-decora.

I'm not a Home Depot on wheels.
FrunkSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 102
Rewards Points: 95
Default

There's two camps and I understand both from personal experience. The first camp wants everything in stock, either in the shop or on the truck or both, because the closest supply house(s) are more than 20 minutes away, leading to a 1 hour round trip drive for anything missing on the truck. That makes sense, and you pick where you do business and act accordingly. Second camp is the one I belong in - I have a general selection of stuff, but no way am I going to stock a ballast for every fluorescent and HID ever made, every conduit fitting in every size in zinc, steel, stainless and compression of each, every device in every color known to man, etc. The reason being that it costs money to haul all those materials around - money that's hard to recoup from customers in residential service work. Materials also get dusty when they bounce around in a truck for a few years unless you shrink wrap them. Lamps loose lifespan and break. for the few times you need to run out and get something, it's not worth driving a 5 ton box truck everywhere IMHO. That being said, one of my nicknames among other contractors is Home Depot. I tend to have lots of stuff they need all in my little Transit Connect
PetrosA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Going_Commando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Hampshah
Posts: 6,048
Rewards Points: 1,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrosA View Post
There's two camps and I understand both from personal experience. The first camp wants everything in stock, either in the shop or on the truck or both, because the closest supply house(s) are more than 20 minutes away, leading to a 1 hour round trip drive for anything missing on the truck. That makes sense, and you pick where you do business and act accordingly. Second camp is the one I belong in - I have a general selection of stuff, but no way am I going to stock a ballast for every fluorescent and HID ever made, every conduit fitting in every size in zinc, steel, stainless and compression of each, every device in every color known to man, etc. The reason being that it costs money to haul all those materials around - money that's hard to recoup from customers in residential service work. Materials also get dusty when they bounce around in a truck for a few years unless you shrink wrap them. Lamps loose lifespan and break. for the few times you need to run out and get something, it's not worth driving a 5 ton box truck everywhere IMHO. That being said, one of my nicknames among other contractors is Home Depot. I tend to have lots of stuff they need all in my little Transit Connect
You do have a pretty slick setup in that Transit Connect. I try to keep a variety of stuff in my truck, and I am amazed at how much crap other electricians have in their vans, but it is all the same thing. I keep a few of a lot of different things, and it definitely saves a lot of trips to the supply house. Some guys like the big box truck (220/221 for example), and other guys like to keep it lean (you and DrSpec with Transit Connects), and I tip towards your side of the scale. Granted I do have a shop to work out of, which also saves trips to the supply house for small dumb stuff like connectors/fittings, wirenuts, romex, mc, boxes, etc, but I don't stock things like recessed cans, HID ballasts, that kind of thing. We stock lamps and capacitors for a gas station we service, since those are mostly all the same lamps and such. We also stock a bunch of different alarm parts (we are an Ademco installer and have ~40 alarm accounts), and people get pissy when their alarm system is down since there isn't a local source for that kind of stuff.

Now, to get kinda back on topic, that Adorne stuff looks fantastic. I like how they integrated plugmold into it, and have puck lights that plug into the plugmold. That is clever! The price of that stuff is just insane though. I'm curious what the supply house price will end up being?
__________________
"I bet you smell like cigarettes and felonies." -HackWork
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Nyspark21 General Electrical Discussion 12 05-31-2013 08:23 AM
Vista product SHADOW Business, Marketing, and Sales 1 03-20-2013 02:33 PM
Arlington new product (I wish) niteshift General Electrical Discussion 10 09-18-2012 06:17 PM
Product lines Chris1971 Business, Marketing, and Sales 7 03-25-2012 07:53 AM
Could the industry use this product William Hayden Business, Marketing, and Sales 19 03-15-2009 10:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com