Liquid electrical tape - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree27Likes

Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 624
Default Liquid electrical tape

I don't like electrical tape, it's coarse and rough and gets everywhere... seriously, though, I sometimes have to isolate unused conductors in low-voltage and thought how much nicer it would be to just paint over a clipped wire end (that will likely never conduct anything but having any kind of exposed or unterminated copper is a no-no) than to wrap it up in electrical tape.

What are your thoughts on liquid electrical tape? Anyone know of a good, low volume method of application (like what you use to paint your toenails) that aren't a gigantic, messy brush or can of spray paint.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,851

You must be new around here....................
wildleg (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 976

there is an advantage to electrical tape - it is a contiguous barrier of known thickness and therefore known insulating properties. A liquid barrier would vary and potentially provide absolutely no protection.

If you don't like tape, terminate the conductors: liquid gell caps, wirenuts, a terminal strip, whatever.

just my .02
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
there is an advantage to electrical tape - it is a contiguous barrier of known thickness and therefore known insulating properties. A liquid barrier would vary and potentially provide absolutely no protection.

If you don't like tape, terminate the conductors: liquid gell caps, wirenuts, a terminal strip, whatever.

just my .02
Wirenuts or similar for wet locations. You'll already have some with you for the job.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm aware of scotchkote, but it claims to be for "an outer seal on a vinyl tape splice"... not as an actual replacement for electrical tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
...and I was assuming this is why. However for my purposes I'm not super concerned with any kind of real protection rating, the vast majority of the time I'm just dealing with signal wires which have very thin conductors and insulation, so insulating the end is just as much a way to indicate that they're not connected to anything as it is a means to reduce conducting mediums around electronics.

Aside from any kind of reliable insulation rating, is skotchkote a true "liquid electrical tape", like does it really insulate (compared to say, I dunno, paint?) or is there something better?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 674

I use it to keep my pasties on.
bill39, splatz and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post
Thanks everyone for responding. I'm aware of scotchkote, but it claims to be for "an outer seal on a vinyl tape splice"... not as an actual replacement for electrical tape.

...and I was assuming this is why. However for my purposes I'm not super concerned with any kind of real protection rating, the vast majority of the time I'm just dealing with signal wires which have very thin conductors and insulation, so insulating the end is just as much a way to indicate that they're not connected to anything as it is a means to reduce conducting mediums around electronics.

Aside from any kind of reliable insulation rating, is skotchkote a true "liquid electrical tape", like does it really insulate (compared to say, I dunno, paint?) or is there something better?
Like unused ballast/xfmr leads? Heatshrink? This is turning into the perfect fix vs the practical fix. How many of these do you do & how much time do you want to spend? If you go the Scotchkote route(which I don't recommend), you still have to give it time to dry.
glen1971 and tmessner like this.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post

What gauge are you talking?

If you are i the 26ga range why not just use a UY connector?
Attached Images

Bird dog and Kevin_Essiambre like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,994

We use liquid electrical tape from time to time on some crazy things we might need to hook up in our lab. We use 3 coats allowing it to dry between coats. That's the only way to get any thickness out of it. I'd never do that in a box in a permanent installation. Only for temporary connections for a test we're setting up.

Not sure how wimpy the insulation is on the wires you're trying to cap, but there are some pretty (very) small wire nuts made, which would seem more appropriate for use in a box. Buy a box of them and keep them in a corner somewhere so you have them when you need them.
telsa and Bird dog like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #10

Appreciate the thoughts and ideas... I use electrical tape for temporary stuff, for permanent installations I use heatshrink so I guess I was hoping for a middle ground that doesn't require a heat gun. I guess I could get connectors, but there's often a lot of these unused wires in any given cable and not a lot of space. I was thinking I could replace the electrical tape in my bag with something like this and use one solution to take care of both temporary and permanent stuff at the same time.

Just wondering if scotchkote is the best you can get or if there's something better. If not, I'm going to try to find a smaller bottle of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Like unused ballast/xfmr leads? Heatshrink? This is turning into the perfect fix vs the practical fix. How many of these do you do & how much time do you want to spend? If you go the Scotchkote route(which I don't recommend), you still have to give it time to dry.
Good point about waiting for it to dry, I didn't consider that.

Last edited by Rora; 04-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Rora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
You must be new around here....................
I use this stuff to coat the tips of my boots when they get holes in them ....3 coats and i re-apply every few months
Attached Thumbnails
Liquid electrical tape-boots.jpg  

Last edited by Tonedeaf; 04-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Tonedeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonedeaf For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:39 PM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,812

I use the tiny gray wire nuts and the little blue ones. If you look some wire nuts are listed for a single wire.

There's also Liquid Tape from Plasti-Dip, which is apparently a replacement for tape, not something to put on top of tape.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/liquid-tape/
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
Rora (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedeaf View Post
I use this stuff to coat the tips of my boots when they get holes in them ....3 coats and i re-apply every few months
I always got a can of the stuff in my garage. It doesn't ever get used on jobs, I use it for boat stuff and car battery terminals.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
Dissenting Member

Rewards Points: 2,790

Permatex liquid electrical tape

Though i think u might like self adhesive lined heat shrink better, without heating it of course
splatz likes this.

Last edited by Wiresmith; 04-05-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,994

I'd do heat shrink long before I'd try using a liquid in a box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 AM   #16
Senile Member

Liquid plastic is great for when you spot cracked insulation but cannot reach it or don't want to attempt to reach it- old condo panels with the feeders coming up out of a 2" and the insulation is falling away. Dump a bottle down the hole. Do it with the feeder's breaker off though in case it is a conductor while liquid which is probably exactly what it is.......... Then you can hope the hell they hurry up and knock the stupid building down pretty soon.

I hate service calls to old buildings. One school I know has kindergarten and first grade classrooms stuck in the old wing of the school. The wiring in that section is knob and tube and it is falling away. But they say they cannot afford to rewire the wing.............................. I've poured some that plastic in a bottle into a few conduits in that school.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 04-06-2019, 01:29 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
I'd do heat shrink long before I'd try using a liquid in a box.
Personally I think the gel filled connectors are the fastest method to use but no way in hell would I contemplate liquid goo.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #18
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Personally I think the gel filled connectors are the fastest method to use but no way in hell would I contemplate liquid goo.
B connectors are cheap. A whole jar for really cheap. Crimp them with your Klein's and away you go. You can get gel filled or just regular ones. I only stock the gel filled.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
MechanicalDVR, splatz and Bird dog like this.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
B connectors are cheap. A whole jar for really cheap. Crimp them with your Klein's and away you go. You can get gel filled or just regular ones. I only stock the gel filled.

What’s the advantage of gel filled? Just additional conductivity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmcstevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #20
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcstevenson View Post
What’s the advantage of gel filled? Just additional conductivity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keeps moisture and water out. Mainly used outside. I think it's similar to petroleum jelly in them.