Looking for a backpack tool bag solution - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By lightman
  • 1 Post By headrec

Old 12-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526
Default Looking for a backpack tool bag solution

Basically looking to switch to a back pack bag. I'm union, and the only reason I mention that is it will be limited to hand tools and a few extra tools not on the tool list but most union guys have (no power tools etc).

I've kinda been eyeing between the klein, milwaukee, and the clc bag (the clc seems a bit overkill). Veto is just a little too spendy in my opinion. I've been looking at them online and planning to go check them out at home depot tomorrow.

Basically tool bags I've found are always different once you start trying to organize and use them. Wondering if anyone has had some direct experience with more than one bag and their thoughts if so.

Also if there is any other brand I should check into?

Thanks in advance guys.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,234

klein- back pack
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrec View Post
Basically looking to switch to a back pack bag. I'm union, and the only reason I mention that is it will be limited to hand tools and a few extra tools not on the tool list but most union guys have (no power tools etc).

I've kinda been eyeing between the klein, milwaukee, and the clc bag (the clc seems a bit overkill). Veto is just a little too spendy in my opinion. I've been looking at them online and planning to go check them out at home depot tomorrow.

Basically tool bags I've found are always different once you start trying to organize and use them. Wondering if anyone has had some direct experience with more than one bag and their thoughts if so.

Also if there is any other brand I should check into?

Thanks in advance guys.
I have used them all and most only last a year or a little longer. Veto will last longer but it is also heavy on it's own and expensive. CLC tend to get holes the fastest in my experience. Klein is normally my go to for tools but their non leather tool storage not so much. The two packs I have had and used the longest are from Toolpak. They are light in weight, tough in construction, inexpensive for what they are, and made to have pockets that you can make larger.

Check out the 4 panel version and you should have enough room and some to spare for your local tool list.

http://www.toolpak.com/
splatz likes this.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

I have had this 4 panel pack for many years:

splatz and DCooke111 like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
headrec (12-03-2016), splatz (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

If someone could combine the interior design of a Klein bag with the durability of a Veto, I'd be all over that.

I dislike most backpacks because they are flimsy, not water resistant, and lay on the ground when open.

The Veto has none of those flaws, but unfortunately was not designed for electrical workers: There are too few pockets, they are located too deep in the bag, and there's a ton of wasted space at the top of the bag. Given how expensive they are now, I couldn't recommend the current design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
headrec (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
If someone could combine the interior design of a Klein bag with the durability of a Veto, I'd be all over that.

I dislike most backpacks because they are flimsy, not water resistant, and lay on the ground when open.

The Veto has none of those flaws, but unfortunately was not designed for electrical workers: There are too few pockets, they are located too deep in the bag, and there's a ton of wasted space at the top of the bag. Given how expensive they are now, I couldn't recommend the current design.
With the Veto I found using it as a carrier for other small bags was the way to go.

I don't lay the Toolpak on the ground as much as I lean it against something or hang it from the handles. The pockets inside it are the far best for electrical tools I've ever found.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I have had this 4 panel pack for many years:

I like this despite it being a little over kill. I find the more pockets I have in bags the more stuff I find to put in them (pro and con).

I'm kinda leaning toward the klein bag.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I like this despite it being a little over kill. I find the more pockets I have in bags the more stuff I find to put in them (pro and con).

Klein bags are okay but like the packs the pockets tend to be oversized and the materials don't hold up well.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:

What is on your tool list? Other than a few extra drivers this pack has very basic tools. The pockets on the outside hold a meter and a 12v impact driver.

I figure your list is close to this one.

Local #354
JOURNEYMAN WIREMAN TOOL LIST

Section 2.11 Tool List Journeymen will furnish themselves with the following hand tools in good condition:

Knife
Pencil
Hammer
Center punch
Small level
Hacksaw frame
Chalk Line
Pliers (as necessary)
600 volt tester
Small crimping tool
Appropriate measuring tape
Screwdrivers (as necessary)
1/4" tap handle
Crescent wrench (8" or less)
Allen wrenches to 3/8"
Flashlight (no batteries)
Adjustable Square
Keyhole saw handle
Small wire stripper
Chain tong or pipe wrench (14" or less)
Nut drivers 3/16" to 5/8"
End wrenches 1/4” up to 3/4”
3/8” Socket set 3/8”up to 3/4”

Current edition, National Electrical Code

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 12-03-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #10

Quote:
What is on your tool list? Other than a few extra drivers this pack has very basic tools. The pockets on the outside hold a meter and a 12v impact driver.

I figure your list is close to this one.

Local #354
JOURNEYMAN WIREMAN TOOL LIST

Section 2.11 Tool List Journeymen will furnish themselves with the following hand tools in good condition:

Knife
Pencil
Hammer
Center punch
Small level
Hacksaw frame
Chalk Line
Pliers (as necessary)
600 volt tester
Small crimping tool
Appropriate measuring tape
Screwdrivers (as necessary)
1/4" tap handle
Crescent wrench (8" or less)
Allen wrenches to 3/8"
Flashlight (no batteries)
Adjustable Square
Keyhole saw handle
Small wire stripper
Chain tong or pipe wrench (14" or less)
Nut drivers 3/16" to 5/8"
End wrenches 1/4” up to 3/4”
3/8” Socket set 3/8”up to 3/4”

Current edition, National Electrical Code
Yeah pretty close. I don't have some of the tools on the list like the chain wrench (yet to meet a guy who had one) but have other things like tin snips hole saw kit etc. I can fit it all perfectly in a small tote bag packed to the edge and then some. I downsized when I moved to my current bag.

I'm not super worried about durability for more than a few years. I always seem to change it up. Klein makes solid bags. I've had one before so I know its not the best material but I'm sure I'll be on a new kick before it breaks down.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Yeah pretty close. I don't have some of the tools on the list like the chain wrench (yet to meet a guy who had one) but have other things like tin snips hole saw kit etc. I can fit it all perfectly in a small tote bag packed to the edge and then some. I downsized when I moved to my current bag.

I'm not super worried about durability for more than a few years. I always seem to change it up. Klein makes solid bags. I've had one before so I know its not the best material but I'm sure I'll be on a new kick before it breaks down.
You supply your own holesaws? That's definitely not a list item. Many of us are always changing bags, it seems more normal than one would think. I have plenty of Klein canvas bags and love them, don't get me wrong.

My point with buying a pack is, if the both of them are the same price (Toolpak is $10 less) why not buy the one better made?

I won't even think of a Husky, AWP, or CLC nylon anything after previous experience with them.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 352

I have a Kline back pack and I'm not crazy about it. I'll probably go back to a bucket of some type.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman View Post
I have a Kline back pack and I'm not crazy about it. I'll probably go back to a bucket of some type.
My favorite bucket:

Old 12-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,706

My advice for your situation would have 2 minimum requirements:
1) a plastic or rubber bottom so it can be set in wet or messy place and be wiped off later
2) the interior to NOT be black. Orange seems best. It makes it easier to see the tools.
bill39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 431

I don't carry one myself and I am not fond of the pocket layout but Home Desperate has the Milwaukee pack for $59.99 these days.
Satch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #16

Quote:
You supply your own holesaws? That's definitely not a list item. Many of us are always changing bags, it seems more normal than one would think. I have plenty of Klein canvas bags and love them, don't get me wrong.

My point with buying a pack is, if the both of them are the same price (Toolpak is $10 less) why not buy the one better made?

I won't even think of a Husky, AWP, or CLC nylon anything after previous experience with them.
Yes sir I do have my own greenlee carbide set my company bought for me.

Been rocking a klein bag since this thread and very happy with it. 0 signs of any issues and enough room to hold what I need. So while smaller, it's downsized what I usually carry around. Been a good hybrid from when I use to lug around enough hand tools to keep a job running.

I've owned a ton of bags and honestly the klein is awesome. Over half my crew is running one and close to a quarter on the jobsite I'm on. All have good things to say and quite a few guys want to get one.

One guy is rocking a Veto but decided to keep it at home because he felt like it was too nice
Old 05-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Yes sir I do have my own greenlee carbide set my company bought for me.

Been rocking a klein bag since this thread and very happy with it. 0 signs of any issues and enough room to hold what I need. So while smaller, it's downsized what I usually carry around. Been a good hybrid from when I use to lug around enough hand tools to keep a job running.

I've owned a ton of bags and honestly the klein is awesome. Over half my crew is running one and close to a quarter on the jobsite I'm on. All have good things to say and quite a few guys want to get one.

One guy is rocking a Veto but decided to keep it at home because he felt like it was too nice
That seems like a real waste of money.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

Quote:
That seems like a real waste of money.
Agreed. He uses a Milwaukee backpack now and lives at home. Just spent three weeks in Mexico/Italy and week after next is going to California.

He's a young guy just living the life. I'm jealous.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 5,744

A few of my guys have the Klein bags and seem to like them. My issue with them is that they are inefficient, meaning that I always seem to be finding my guys running around with tools in their pockets and climbing up and down the ladder to get a tool that is left in the backpack.

I found them valuable when doing work on the ships; going up and down ladders to move from part of the ship to the other was nice. Also handy for Condo and office building work; saves a few trips I suspect if you plan ahead.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,131

I haven't tried it, but Lenox makes one too. Looked halfway decent, and was a pretty good price.

mdnitedrftr is offline   Reply With Quote