Made in the U.S.A. - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

View Poll Results: If a made in China unit cost $50, what would you pay for made in U.S.A.??
$55 4 12.12%
$60 10 30.30%
$70 10 30.30%
$80 4 12.12%
$90 0 0%
$100 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27
Default Made in the U.S.A.

I'm setting up a poll for this question. It will be a tough one to get a honest answer to, but I want to try.

We all want to buy from companies that make product in the U.S.A. But, how much of a premium will you pay for that? Let's say that a company respected by most on this board (like Fluke) gave you a choice of two meters side-by-side in a store. Both meters were the exact same model, same design, same company, same features, the ONLY difference is that one was built in China, and one was built here in the good ol' U.S.A.

If the "made in China" product sold for $50, what would you pay for the SAME product made in the U.S.A? Keep in mind it is easy to say you would pay a lot more now, but it may be different when you really have to open that wallet.

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-26-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028

we still make things in america?
nolabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,006

some things made in america are still good quality but for the last few years ive been leaning towards made in germany.
thier tools are excelent, more expensive but worth every penny.
mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #4
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

I still have faith in Ford.
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
I still have faith in Ford.

I agree.. I have a 2003 E250 van with 90,000 miles and never had a problem.

It really sucks Made in America has lost its will to survive.

That goes directly to the morons in Washington who had the balls to buy US flags made in China a few years back.

They let jobs go either to Mexico or India and do nothing to stop it that I can see.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
I agree.. I have a 2003 E250 van with 90,000 miles and never had a problem.

It really sucks Made in America has lost its will to survive.

That goes directly to the morons in Washington who had the balls to buy US flags made in China a few years back.

They let jobs go either to Mexico or India and do nothing to stop it that I can see.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/
Do nothing to stop it? They pretty much ALL supported NAFTA. Then came CAFTA.

When Pontiac made the Firebird in USA, it cost 28,000.00... and the average wage and fringe load of the typical assembly line worker was around 36.00 per hour. When it moved the factory to Mexico the average wage and no fringe load totaled 8.00 per DAY. Cost of the 1st production of Firebirds from Mexico? $31,000.00.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
When Pontiac made the Firebird in USA, it cost 28,000.00... and the average wage and fringe load of the typical assembly line worker was around 36.00 per hour. When it moved the factory to Mexico the average wage and no fringe load totaled 8.00 per DAY. Cost of the 1st production of Firebirds from Mexico? $31,000.00.
I sure would like to know the source of those figures as they sound like total BS put out by the unions.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post
some things made in america are still good quality but for the last few years ive been leaning towards made in germany.
thier tools are excelent, more expensive but worth every penny.
Unfortunately, Made In America does not always mean better quality. Made In Germany does not always mean that either. To me, Made In America is about keeping American jobs. These are American jobs for creating the parts, assembling the products, and testing the products.

There is a reason why my example for the question compared two products that were designed by the same company, and used all the same parts. That way we are talking about the same quality design, but just put together and tested by the American labor force. I wanted to see what that was worth to people.

Component costs will run close to the same costs in China and America. The main cost difference comes in labor cost, test cost, costs of running the factories, and the cost of disposing of factory waste, etc. There are some companies out there that will build a bad product, just to say it is built in America. They use lower grade parts, less acurate parts, do not build in all the needed safety features, cheaper plastic, etc. These products could end up being the same cost as a China made product, and sell for the same cost (or more), but are not a better product. I can find many China made products that are better than American made ones. But, I can also find a bunch of American made products that are the best of the best.

Our pride makes us want to think that Made In America always means a better product, but it does not. You need to find a company that is known for making a quality product, and makes it in the USA. That type of product is worth the extra cost.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Zen Student

Rewards Points: 250

interesting
Buddha In Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

One item left off your poll:

(x) $50

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
One item left off your poll:

(x) $50
I know. I went back a few minutes later, and tried to edit the poll to add that. It would let me edit my post, but I couldn't find a way to edit the poll.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
Unfortunately, Made In America does not always mean better quality. Made In Germany does not always mean that either. To me, Made In America is about keeping American jobs. These are American jobs for creating the parts, assembling the products, and testing the products.

There is a reason why my example for the question compared two products that were designed by the same company, and used all the same parts. That way we are talking about the same quality design, but just put together and tested by the American labor force. I wanted to see what that was worth to people.

Component costs will run close to the same costs in China and America. The main cost difference comes in labor cost, test cost, costs of running the factories, and the cost of disposing of factory waste, etc. There are some companies out there that will build a bad product, just to say it is built in America. They use lower grade parts, less acurate parts, do not build in all the needed safety features, cheaper plastic, etc. These products could end up being the same cost as a China made product, and sell for the same cost (or more), but are not a better product. I can find many China made products that are better than American made ones. But, I can also find a bunch of American made products that are the best of the best.

Our pride makes us want to think that Made In America always means a better product, but it does not. You need to find a company that is known for making a quality product, and makes it in the USA. That type of product is worth the extra cost.
I agree.

But I do find that many european manufactured tools tend to be of a better quality.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote