Milwakee 6 in 1 pliers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 08-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Milwakee 6 in 1 pliers

Hey guys,

I had an apprentice show up with a pair of these pliers/ strippers last week to rough in walls and they were GREAT!! any down side to them other then the price?

~G
BoiseSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseSparky View Post
Hey guys,

I had an apprentice show up with a pair of these pliers/ strippers last week to rough in walls and they were GREAT!! any down side to them other then the price?

~G
I have a pair. I haven't perfected stripping with my side cutters, so when I was assigned a bunch of outlets I used the Milwaukee. I like them.
biltheref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Pictures?

Welcome to ET..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Pictures?
Here's a weird picture for ya.

FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FastFokker For This Useful Post:
GEORGE D (09-01-2013), Vintage Sounds (09-01-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFokker View Post
Here's a weird picture for ya.
You're weird..

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
LARMGUY (09-01-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

I do a lot of prefabs. They worked great for the repetitive stuff. I don't know how I feel about using them for everything. There heavy and the balance is off. I'm already broken and hurting I don't need a tool that's going to give me carpel tunnel on the other side of my wrist. Lol
Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

Sorry still new and figuring this out on my phone. Can get the pic to load.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,298

My son has a pair.
The only complaint I have is that the locking mechanism broke.
I saw the display one was broken like that.
I like to cut MC with my strippers so, it isn't really for me because the cutter is recessed.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

Love em.
2 complaints (minor though)
lock sux
exposed metal is a bit close to bare hands ( if I was inclined to work on something live )
Scaryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

I have them and one down side is the plastic thing that holds them together when not in use sucks and broke in 2 days
Daniel Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryone
Love em.
2 complaints (minor though)
lock sux
exposed metal is a bit close to bare hands ( if I was inclined to work on something live )
They are not insulated anyway makes no difference still would not use them on live work
Daniel Case is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 95

I had them and returned them. Very poorly designed IMNSHO.

Like others wrote, the latch is crappy. While mine didn't break, they were constantly opening up in my pouch or pocket. The exposed metal on the handles is crazy stupid. Sure, you may THINK that wire's dead, and then it's too late.

Some other things that weren't mentioned:

The cutter blades are very poorly designed. When you try to cut NM cable with them, the part nearest the hinge smashes the wire instead of cutting it because the blade doesn't extend in far enough. If you play with placement, you can get a clean cut on 14/2, but not on 12/2 or above. The blades aren't wide enough. Don't waste your money.

The screw cutters are OK for most screws, but if you need to cut down a 6-32 for a decora plate on a tile backsplash, you can't cut it short enough due to the thickness of the tool. Not a big downside, but who needs it?
PetrosA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 612

http://www.toolboxbuzz.com/hand-tool...now-available/

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Large Male Member

Rewards Points: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseSparky View Post
Hey guys,

~G

Country of Origin is Taiwan

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MIL...-Pliers-13L332
Ionspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
Electricity is Amazing!

Rewards Points: 538

I've been using them for several months now. I like the solid hinge. It means that the needle nose tip can be used unlike most strippers.

Downsides, the plastic latch sucks. The cutters has a small blank spot at the bottom. There really is no reason for the metal to come that far down the handles.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #16

Sorry...some of the milwaukee handtools are nice...but in my opinion theyre geared towards weekend warriors and handymen, not professionals. generally when i see a product advertised as a x in 1 , i avoid it. even the klein 11 in 1.. can anyone here say theyve owned that tool for a year and still have all the original tips.
i stick with basic klein tools...not much you cant do with a pair of linesman ..and there products will always be around
dadadavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadadavid View Post
generally when i see a product advertised as a x in 1 , i avoid it. even the klein 11 in 1.. can anyone here say theyve owned that tool for a year and still have all the original tips.
Buy one of these.

It forces you to put a bit back in to get a new one out. And since the bits are exposed, if it gets wet, it'll dry out instead of just rusting. I also have a stubby version of this thing. I use them often.

I own a couple of these:

But find the bits always end up rusting out. I live in a rain forest though. Same with the Klein.
FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Returned mine first ballast I changed.

I like perfect.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveEM For This Useful Post:
Aegis (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadadavid View Post
generally when i see a product advertised as a x in 1 , i avoid it. even the klein 11 in 1.. can anyone here say theyve owned that tool for a year and still have all the original tips.
I have used the lenox 9 in 1 screwdriver for years. It is my daily use screwdriver. Of all the whatever in 1 drivers I've used this one is the best. The bits don't fall out, you can use it to bang on locknuts or remove ko's without it getting all jammed up. I rarely use a standard screwdriver anymore.

The 9 in 1 and linesman pliers in my back pocket do the majority of my work.
EBFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote