Milwaukee Tools and 9.0ah battery problems - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree18Likes

Old 11-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,416
Default Milwaukee Tools and 9.0ah battery problems

Anyone else having problems where Milwaukee tools don't seem like they are designed to carry the weight of 9.0ah batteries? The weight and momentum of swinging tools around with the bigger batteries seems to wear out the races that the battery slides in to, and causes the battery terminals on the tools to carbon up. This has been the worst with my fuel hole hawg. For the past 6 months I have had to hose the contacts on the tool with contact cleaner and sometimes even emery cloth to clean the contacts up enough to get it to run. When the problem rears its ugly head you squeeze the trigger on the tool and it just pulses instead of running. Granted the tool hasn't been treated all that gently, but I never treated my Rigid hole hawg any differently, and that's 10 years old. Heck, I've gone back to using the corded tool while the cordless tool is down.

I've also noticed the batteries are starting to get a healthy wiggle in the cordless drill, angle grinder, and the sawzall. To be honest, I am getting pretty fed up with it. This doesn't even get into the ****ty battery casings the m12 batteries have. I don't know how many 12v batteries I've had to toss since those stupid little plastic clips that hold the top of the battery housing on breaks off so the cap with the slots in it for the battery connector stays in the tool when I pull the battery. I've invested heavily in Milwaukee tools, and some of them have held up really well, but damn, some of their designs are looking pretty chintzy.

I know a guy who had his wife make some stretchy straps to wrap around the handle of his milwaukee tools that holds the battery tight to the housing, so I'm not the only one with this problem. I'd have her make me some, but with the handle/battery interface being different on each tool they would have to be custom made.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,441

That’s the downside to tools made by the manufacturer with the biggest product offering. They are always launching new products and we are the guinea pigs. I really think Milwaukee rushes new products to market.

I switched to Bosch a year ago without a minute of grief. Their line up is very limited in comparison, however.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #3
zac

Rewards Points: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Thatís the downside to tools made by the manufacturer with the biggest product offering. They are always launching new products and we are the guinea pigs. I really think Milwaukee rushes new products to market.

I switched to Bosch a year ago without a minute of grief. Their line up is very limited in comparison, however.
Sorry 99, but this site is for professionals only. Those who use bosch tools can talk about them at our DYI site. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 718

I had an M12 battery break. I was able to take it apart and super glue things back together. It works fine again. This battery was dropped from a 6' step ladder so I cannot blame Milwaukee.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,441

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Sorry 99, but this site is for professionals only. Those who use bosch tools can talk about them at our DYI site. Thanks!

You havenít heard of the Blue Wave?
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
zac

Rewards Points: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
You havenít heard of the Blue Wave?
Unfortunately I have.... since then the line ups have increased dramatically at my local surf spots.
Name:  51FSyMYOpaL._SY445_.jpeg
Views: 202
Size:  45.7 KB

99cents likes this.
zac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,780

Normally I would not defend a cordless tool brand other than Milwaukee but I have to this time.

I bought a bosch 10.8v screwdriver, impact, and adjustable angle driver many years ago when they first came out and they all still work just fine. That is after the impact and screwdriver have both been dropped in saltwater more than once.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Normally I would not defend a cordless tool brand other than Milwaukee but I have to this time.

I bought a bosch 10.8v screwdriver, impact, and adjustable angle driver many years ago when they first came out and they all still work just fine. That is after the impact and screwdriver have both been dropped in saltwater more than once.
I bought the Makita 10.8V impact at probably the same time you bought the Bosch. I sold it but I am sure it still works fine.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major brands. But Milwaukee has an advantage on their lineup and very innovative tools.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I bought the Makita 10.8V impact at probably the same time you bought the Bosch. I sold it but I am sure it still works fine.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the major brands. But Milwaukee has an advantage on their lineup and very innovative tools.
As much as I agree with that I still have a couple DeWalt tools that work great and Milwaukee doesn't have as good a design to replace them all yet. The inline style 18v sheetmetal shear that Milwaukee isn't as comfortable to use or the 7.2v screwdriver. I wish Milwaukee would come out with a screwdriver like the 7.2 DeWalt, I have a couple of the small 4v Milwaukee ones but the batteries are the weakest link.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
As much as I agree with that I still have a couple DeWalt tools that work great and Milwaukee doesn't have as good a design to replace them all yet. The inline style 18v sheetmetal shear that Milwaukee isn't as comfortable to use or the 7.2v screwdriver. I wish Milwaukee would come out with a screwdriver like the 7.2 DeWalt, I have a couple of the small 4v Milwaukee ones but the batteries are the weakest link.
With them making the 12V impact gun even smaller this year and giving it the very low speeds, I think they want that to take both roles.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
With them making the 12V impact gun even smaller this year and giving it the very low speeds, I think they want that to take both roles.
Oh I haven't seen that yet but I'm curious.

I still prefer this design to a regular pistol grip, it would be even better with the M12 style battery:
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2018, 06:14 PM   #12

I just got the chain saw with the 12 amp hour battery. Haven't had a chance to do serious work with it yet but it looks to be on a par with a tree trimming gas chain saw without having to yank a rope every time you pick it up.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
I just got the chain saw with the 12 amp hour battery. Haven't had a chance to do serious work with it yet but it looks to be on a par with a tree trimming gas chain saw without having to yank a rope every time you pick it up.
Let us know how it performs after you get to use it.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #14

It is RED. It will perform LOL.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #15

I am also the guy who drives Ford trucks and even if I am having trouble with them it is still the best. If I drove something else it could be flawless and still a piece of junk. IMO
Old 11-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
It is RED. It will perform LOL.
I did catch that lol
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #17

Milwaukee works fine, I just can’t stand when battery dies with zero warning
Old 11-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
Milwaukee works fine, I just canít stand when battery dies with zero warning

Try looking at the battery indicator on the battery!
All lithium batteries die without warning.
HackWork and Kevin_Essiambre like this.

A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Little Short View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
Milwaukee works fine, I just can’t stand when battery dies with zero warning

Try looking at the battery indicator on the battery!
All lithium batteries die without warning.
well aware of that, I’m accustomed to dewalt, but most co seem to sway toward Milwaukee lately
Old 11-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #20
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,484

I wouldn't know!!
My 9ah pride and joy, WAS IN THE FUEL SDS WHEN IT WAS STOLEN OFF A JOBSITE DOWNTOWN.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote