Milwaukee vs Dewalt corded bandsaw preference? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 09-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526
Default Milwaukee vs Dewalt corded bandsaw preference?

Starting up a metal working hobby. I need to pick up a solid bandsaw. My company uses mainly Milwaukee and I tend to prefer their products for most things over Dewalt but I feel Dewalt definitely has better products in some areas.

One area I have no experience with is Dewalt when it comes to their deep cut (5 inch) bandsaws. Always liked Milwaukees but open to the others.

Curious how you guys feel about them that have used both?

Maybe another contender I should feel out?

Both of these bandsaws come in around just around 300 so kind of a wash. Mainly going to use it as a versatile bench setup with a fancy adapter but never know when I'll need it to free hand hence not looking for a dedicated bench bandsaw...for now.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrec View Post
Starting up a metal working hobby. I need to pick up a solid bandsaw. My company uses mainly Milwaukee and I tend to prefer their products for most things over Dewalt but I feel Dewalt definitely has better products in some areas.
I'd bet they are not that much different but I would buy the Dewalt. I have Milwaukee battery tools but with corded tools that doesn't matter, no particular brand loyalty.

One of my customers has a maintenance shop with all Dewalt tools that I borrow quite a bit. They keep the Dewalt bandsaw at a bench with a vise and use it constantly. It works very well for me, and it has a little hook on the handle to hang it with, which is handy.

Not sure about this particular tool but a lot of Dewalt tools are "Built in USA" which isn't made in USA, but is hopefully closer to it than Milwaukee power tools, which are AFAIK all made in China.

I also might try the Bosch as it's about $50 less than Milwaukee and Dewalt at Home Depot. You can get a pretty good idea how it handles in the store without cutting anything. And Home Depot will take it back if you don't like it.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 26,904

Metabo makes the world's best corded bandsaw.

It's so good that its peers have changed theirs to mimic it.

Metabo is Hilti's peer rival -- for those who have never heard of this firm.

Their SDS+ corded roto-hammers beat all others.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrec View Post

One area I have no experience with is Dewalt when it comes to their deep cut (5 inch) bandsaws. Always liked Milwaukees but open to the others.

Curious how you guys feel about them that have used both?

Maybe another contender I should feel out?

Both of these bandsaws come in around just around 300 so kind of a wash. Mainly going to use it as a versatile bench setup with a fancy adapter but never know when I'll need it to free hand hence not looking for a dedicated bench bandsaw...for now.
I'm a huge milwaukee fan but giving credit where credit is due,

Porter-Cable is the best bandsaw I've ever used, period.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I'm a huge milwaukee fan but giving credit where credit is due,

Porter-Cable is the best bandsaw I've ever used, period.
But how long ago was that? I bought a Porter-Cable cordless drill in the 90s, at the time they were really good, but I think Porter-Cable has gone completely down the tubes, possibly the worst brand now.

I think the Greenlee might have been the original portaband, it was super high quality.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
But how long ago was that? I bought a Porter-Cable cordless drill in the 90s, at the time they were really good, but I think Porter-Cable has gone completely down the tubes, possibly the worst brand now.

I think the Greenlee might have been the original portaband, it was super high quality.
Nope Porta Band was Porter Cable!

I don't have a clue who makes their cordless crap but I love a Porta-Band and the Tiger Saw (best sawzall for wood there is.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote