multi meter which manufacturer is the best - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 02-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default multi meter which manufacturer is the best

i would be very appreciative for some feedback
i am concidering buying a new multimeter could anyone help me,
which is the best and reliable manufacturer ?
i am concidering buying a meter which covers all the tests and results
and which downloads to a PC with windows xp / windows vista now

ie a few years ago i purchased a AVO CM 400 but that only worked on dos operating system ie windows 95/98

no idea at all like me !!!!

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-11-2007 at 03:56 PM.
peter.alcock@talktal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I use the Ideal 805, which will run in XP.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 538

i have a fluke 85 and i love it its will cost a pretty penny though. i had a ideal meter but the readings were jumpy
bduerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 178

A Fluke 289 will do all that.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

why do you need a meter to do all that and what would be a typical application ?
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

There is no 'best' manufacturer, and there is no 'best' meter. If there were, there would only be one manufacturer making one meter.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

As Sparky said, there is no "one" best. I am not sure if the Fluke 289 will cover all of your applications. A couple of guys here have them, and they would be able to give you a good review of it.

Actually I am very sure 480sparky wrote up a review of his, with pictures. If you search the forums you can find that review.

JJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Semi-Retired

Rewards Points: 500

to extend on Kens post...
YOU need to use some meters or even just one meter (a lot) so YOU can decide what features (aka quirks) best suit the nature of the work that YOU do or at least what features (aka quirks) YOU don't want to have to live with.

notice a theme there?

Simpson 260 old school baby!
Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,262

I like the Fluke 1587 for industrial work. it is simple to use and is a standard DMM and multi voltage megger built into one unit. I also like the Fluke 337 clamp on ammeter. It works fine as a ammeter and voltmeter but the ohmmeter portion leave a bit to be desired.
I was using a 337 to troubleshoot a control circuit and I was trying to check the control transformer primary that was blowing primary control fuses, with the 337 it was checking OPEN (OL) but the fuses would still blow when the disconnect closed. Then I checked it with the 1587 (ohmmeter) and did get a reading of 500+ ohms but that still was not enough to keep the fuses from blowing. These readings were taken across the transformer primary winding the primary to ground checked fine to ground with both meters.Replaced the transformer and no more blown fuses.
LC
Lone Crapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
As Sparky said, there is no "one" best. I am not sure if the Fluke 289 will cover all of your applications. A couple of guys here have them, and they would be able to give you a good review of it.

Actually I am very sure 480sparky wrote up a review of his, with pictures. If you search the forums you can find that review.

JJ
Here.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 604

All good information for future reference. Just realize guys, the OP made this one and only post in early 2007.
I doubt he'll be back to see this.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #12

Fluke
ohmontherange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
All good information for future reference. Just realize guys, the OP made this one and only post in early 2007.
I doubt he'll be back to see this.
lol, didn't even notice that.

JJ

Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 502

You guys took too long to reply......
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 25

ahhh....well, looks like he's still in the hall waiting for a call anyway. no problem.
heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 5,198
Default Multimeters

I am old, I guess, but when asked what multimeter I like, I say that the TRIPLETT meter is good. It has served me well and used to be made in BLUFFTON, OHIO, and I liked that.

RIVETER
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote