Protecting your old pliers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By John Valdes
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 3 Post By B-Nabs
  • 3 Post By 99cents
  • 3 Post By wcord
  • 1 Post By joebanana
  • 1 Post By Electricaljunkie

Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40
Default Protecting your old pliers

I saw a nice youtuber that do tools restoration and he uses shellac after the work is done. What you do after cleaning and removing the rust of your pliers?

1. Use WD-40?
2. Oil them?
3. Both?
4. Paint them?
5. Use Shellac?
6. Use another stuff like carnauba?
Electricaljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,704

I use WD40 or any similar spray lubricant because it's cheap, it's always around, and it works OK. There are things that have more staying power but most of them are messy, WD40 is light and doesn't leave much residue on the tools. I will use it to wipe down tools when they get dirty, which isn't that often, because I am more particular about keeping my tools clean than my silverware. That light coat of oil keeps them rust free. I try to keep it off the handles but I am not sure if it would really bother the plastic of the handles.

I bought some old woodworking tools that a guy cleaned up, he put a coat of varnish on when he was done. It's pretty durable and looks really shiny. Varnish, shellac, or wax, I am sure would keep the tool coated longer than just wiping it with oil, but it's more trouble than I will go to. If I lived somewhere with saltwater where things rusted more, I might do it though.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,744

If you use them everyday and keep them dry, you don't really need to do anything else.
Cow and joebanana like this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I use WD40 or any similar spray lubricant because it's cheap, it's always around, and it works OK. There are things that have more staying power but most of them are messy, WD40 is light and doesn't leave much residue on the tools. I will use it to wipe down tools when they get dirty, which isn't that often, because I am more particular about keeping my tools clean than my silverware. That light coat of oil keeps them rust free. I try to keep it off the handles but I am not sure if it would really bother the plastic of the handles.

I bought some old woodworking tools that a guy cleaned up, he put a coat of varnish on when he was done. It's pretty durable and looks really shiny. Varnish, shellac, or wax, I am sure would keep the tool coated longer than just wiping it with oil, but it's more trouble than I will go to. If I lived somewhere with saltwater where things rusted more, I might do it though.
Shellac doesn't hold up in a saltwater environment. Lacquer is th eway to go.
splatz likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,510

WD or just a light oil when they need it. Usually when they start to get tight or if they got rained on.

Tim.
canbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

I use cutting oil in the joint, simply because I always have some and because it doesn't dry out like WD does. Otherwise I don't worry about whatever patina might develop, it's part of the charm of a well used tool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,459

My strippers had a tight hinge. Yesterday I used them to verify a hot circuit. Now the hinge is nice and loose.
joebanana, B-Nabs and canbug like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
My strippers had a tight hinge. Yesterday I used them to verify a hot circuit. Now the hinge is nice and loose.
I was always thought that when your pliers get old, do the above to turn them into strippers
Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post

And now you can strip 8's and 6's.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
I was always thought that when your pliers get old, do the above to turn them into strippers
It works for dykes, but I'm not sure about how it would work for pliers.
Electricaljunkie likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

I bought an acrylic clear spray paint and painted my rusty old linesman plier. I soaked it in vinegar and cleaned it with a microfiber cloth, so it looks like matte gray, not shiny metal. Still I not going to spend $20 buck in stuff to make it shiny. I spray it with the acrylic I will show pictures soon.
splatz likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #12

Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #13