Question on Hilti hammer drills - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 09-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030
Default Question on Hilti hammer drills

I am in terrible need of a big daddy hammer drill and I have been very pleased with hilti in the past.Can anyone tell me if the ATC function on the 70 ATC Combi hammer drill is worth the price increase..?
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

wow no one huh
captkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I just bought a Hilti TE-60 and opted out of the ATC function because the Hilti rep told me that it makes little difference on that particular model unless you are using it for hours at a time. He did say, however, that if I were to instead buy a TE-70 or above that he would highly recommend the ATC. He said that otherwise the drill will produce significantly more vibration and can be very hard on the operator. If I were you, I would throw in the extra $$$ and by the TE-70 with the ATC package.
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

What's ATC? Some sort of anti-vibration feature? If that's the case, I notice a difference (and appreciate it) when I go from using one of my old Macho drills (no anti-vibration anything) to one of my Milwaukee's with anti-vibration features. Sorta like going from driving a truck to driving a Cadillac, in comparison.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
What's ATC? Some sort of anti-vibration feature? If that's the case, I notice a difference (and appreciate it) when I go from using one of my old Macho drills (no anti-vibration anything) to one of my Milwaukee's with anti-vibration features. Sorta like going from driving a truck to driving a Cadillac, in comparison.
I had to look it up cause I was curious too. It's a pretty nice feature, it stops the drill from catching and throwing you around

I got hurt once when drilling on a ladder and the bit caught and the rotary hammer went spinning and took my arms with it.

There's a short description and then click on Animation:

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/...ceeedfkldfgk.0
BadSplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSplice View Post
I had to look it up cause I was curious too. It's a pretty nice feature, it stops the drill from catching and throwing you around

I got hurt once when drilling on a ladder and the bit caught and the rotary hammer went spinning and took my arms with it.

There's a short description and then click on Animation:

http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/...ceeedfkldfgk.0
Ohhh... Yeah, all my hammer drills have a clutch that will slip... even my old Macho drills. Using 4-cutter bits virtually eliminates catching like that. The 2-cutter bits are VERY prone to getting caught. The 4-cutter bits, for just a few dollars more, are a dream.

From the HILTI description, I'd assume ATC means Automatic Torque Control. They do it via an electric clutch rather than a slipper clutch. Same difference.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

The clutch works good to stop the drilling from continually spinning. But it's that first 90-120 degrees of spinning that gets by the clutch that really hurts you if you're not careful.

I wonder how well the ATC works on the Hilti drills?
BadSplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,006

weve got a te-56 (i think) and its got it. its pretty nice when it does catch. do you guys remember the old metal case hiltis that would take your leg off?
mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I'be got the TE905, 75 and 56. All great tools and very easy on my body.
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm left handed.

And the one time I didn't take this into consideration I was on a 10 foot ladder trying to bang this hole out "real quick", and the hammer seized up and grazed my head.

My vision blurred and my hard hat had flown off my head.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post
weve got a te-56 (i think) and its got it. its pretty nice when it does catch. do you guys remember the old metal case hiltis that would take your leg off?
Um. Nope...

But I do have an old heavy duty Black and Decker, back when they made good tools, that my dad bought back in 1971. That thing hasn't had anything done to it other than replacing the cord in its nearly 40 years of service. Its broken bones on 4 different people and injured about half a dozen more.

No one but me or my old man have touched it in 20 years. Guys who borrowed it just wouldn't heed our warnings or respect the strength of the thing.

That thing will probably outlive me.
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote