Rolling tool bag - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By trentonmakes
  • 1 Post By Dan the electricman
  • 1 Post By Jrags
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 02-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 120
Default Rolling tool bag

Hey all, I'm thinking of trading my old tool bag and getting one that has rollers/wheels on it. The shop I'm working for has me bouncing all over the city and I'm getting tired of lugging the bag around. Any suggestions? I've been hearing a lot about the Milwaukee packout?? Since most of my jobs I'm there by myself I'm thinking this might be a good one, but open to anything.
Thanks for any help.
J.
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 138

Best bang for the buck is probaly the husky rolling bag.
I used to love that thing working in the city. The handle slides up like a suitcase type of deal and you could stack boxes, material ontop resting it on the rails of the handle as you lug it down city blocks.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk
zac likes this.
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trentonmakes For This Useful Post:
JoeKan (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
Dope-less Hope Fiend

Rewards Points: 870

I'm using the Ridgid 3 box rolling cart system:

https://www.amazon.com/RIDGID-Inch-T.../dp/B0174NP7JE

I really like it. Just be careful you don't put more weight in it than you can easily move around! I learned the hard way!
zac likes this.
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Dan the electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,618

I wouldn’t want wheels permanently attached to my tool bag. I just use one of those fold up small hand trucks. I think it was 20-50 dollars. The one with the little rollerblade wheels.

I usually only need it to get tools to the job. After that it might spend a week or month in the gang box.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Light Bender

Rewards Points: 8,168

I agree with hertzhound, just get a little fold up dolly. More versatile. There will be times that you will not want wheels permanently attached to your tool bag.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 70

Milwaukee also has a rolling tool bagónot of packout variety. I think they have a 18Ē and 24Ē version. If you donít need everything that the pack out has, which may be overkill sometimes, their soft sided rolling tool bag does the trick.

Still has good wheels, solid axel, hard top, good storage pockets, and good bottom. And geared toward electricians.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Jrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,458

Working in a city doing service calls I found nothing beat a good backpack for getting around and very long walks to jobs.

Sometimes small wheels on cracked sidewalks and stairs can be a huge PIA.

For larger jobs (installs) a real handtruck with closed plastic bins bungeed on is a fantastic way to move lots of tools/materials.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
I agree with hertzhound, just get a little fold up dolly. More versatile. There will be times that you will not want wheels permanently attached to your tool bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
I wouldnít want wheels permanently attached to my tool bag. I just use one of those fold up small hand trucks. I think it was 20-50 dollars. The one with the little rollerblade wheels.

I usually only need it to get tools to the job. After that it might spend a week or month in the gang box.
I think those folding carts have their place but if you are tall the short height can be a PIA on a long walk and the small wheels suck on stairs.

I've used a rolling bag a lot and never found the wheels an issue of any kind.
trentonmakes likes this.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 4

If you encounter rain and puddles enough in the city, you might want to roll with the plastic toolbox style. You can stack some material.

If you regularly carry a lot of material or power tools, then maybe consider a wheeled larger black plastic 'gang box' as a cheaper option to stash everything inside.

If it's service in the city, maybe just pair down some weight from your toolbag, move it into a backpack, and add rocks to get in shape.

Any gravel, stairs/ladder, roof work, terrain? I never had a job that I could easily roll onto. (My ladder has skateboard wheels.)
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
If you encounter rain and puddles enough in the city, you might want to roll with the plastic toolbox style. You can stack some material.

If you regularly carry a lot of material or power tools, then maybe consider a wheeled larger black plastic 'gang box' as a cheaper option to stash everything inside.

If it's service in the city, maybe just pair down some weight from your toolbag, move it into a backpack, and add rocks to get in shape.

Any gravel, stairs/ladder, roof work, terrain? I never had a job that I could easily roll onto. (My ladder has skateboard wheels.)
8"-10" pneumatic tires on a aluminum or magnesium handtruck for all but ladders.

Never contemplated rolling around a gang box.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
8"-10" pneumatic tires on a aluminum or magnesium handtruck for all but ladders.

Never contemplated rolling around a gang box.
I drug multiple plastic gangboxes around full of fittings, back in a plumbing past life. Cheap and worked great.

Maybe I'm just jealous that there ain't no pavement in my county
positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

This topic has been discussed many times in this forum. The basic options are Husky rolling tote, Rigid stacking box system, or a dolly. Iíve had the husky and itís rugged and works great even with little wheels. I also have a folding dolly and prefer it because I can use it with more different stuff. The one I have is made by magna cart and actually has pretty big wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Persona.../dp/B000HVVSDU
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by positron View Post
I drug multiple plastic gangboxes around full of fittings, back in a plumbing past life. Cheap and worked great.

Maybe I'm just jealous that there ain't no pavement in my county
Working in the NYC area I was on concrete more than not but jobsites were often loose gravel, large tires were the way to go.

I even put them on my Rubbermaid cart.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 120

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go with the fold up hand trucks. I'm just needing something to haul my bag in and I'll put it on a Rubber-made cart. Speaking of which, I'm needing a new bag...this will be for another post.
JoeKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
This topic has been discussed many times in this forum. The basic options are Husky rolling tote, Rigid stacking box system, or a dolly. I’ve had the husky and it’s rugged and works great even with little wheels. I also have a folding dolly and prefer it because I can use it with more different stuff. The one I have is made by magna cart and actually has pretty big wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Persona.../dp/B000HVVSDU
That’s the one I have, although it’s a Craftsman. Th’er probably all made by the same company. I liked to try and keep Sears in Buisiness if I could. Home Depot and Lowe’s had the same one with a different name.

Sears just closed by me. The week after Christmas.

I rebuilt the motor in a ‘77 F-250 with all mail order parts from Sears years ago. I guess because I had their charge card. Still have the truck. Probably only 10,000 mi on the motor. It just sits in the garage. Hasn’t been started in at least ten years.

Maybe I’ll dig up some old mud photos and use them as an avatar.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #16
Pull my wire

Rewards Points: 246

The Husky one is great, coming from using a DeWalt TSTAK deep box (which makes for a great seat for lunch time too, or step stool in a pinch), when I switched to a more commercial service style employer, the fellow electrician there had the Husky bag and I was struggling behind with my box having to walk throughout warehouses or factories. That Husky bag is rugged and the handle makes for a great coat hanger too. Pretty good waterproofing material and sturdy wheels, I fit my pouch and all sorts of stuff in it, plus a full size hammer drill, work light, impact, batteries, etc. Then when I need to hop in the skyjack or go somewhere quick, I just pull my pouch out of the bag and off I go. Doesn't excel in gravel or more than 2" of snow, but no problem in mud, grass, sidewalks, potholes, etc.

Nothing wrong with having a few different pack out setups if you do different kind of jobs, just move your pouch from one to another when you're changing styles.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote