Sears sells some other good brands! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 10-12-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Ambassador of Amps

Rewards Points: 2,354
Default Sears sells some other good brands!

I was looking through a sears catalog. Saw some craftsman tools I wanted and flipped a few more pages and saw that they sell Knipex as well as Wiha!

That suprised me a little bit.

~Matt
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sears rebrands some Knipex tools as Craftsman tools. The stores don't carry everything the catalog has....one of the Sears near me only has the Wiha insulated nut drivers. They also carry a few Fluke items.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
stop pickin on Peter D...

Rewards Points: 506

It is nice to see that Sears sells other brands, not just Craftsman. Some Craftsman are great, some good, some... not so good... some just bad.Go to Sears .com and see that they will order MANY more Knipex tools than even the catalog has.

I go to www.aktoolsonline.com for Knipex. They don't have everything, but they can probably get it. And, what I've bought from them, has been the best prices that I found shopping around.

I go to www.wihatools.com for Wiha. Thy are always having 40% and 50% off specials. i have a lot of Wiha tools, and most of them I got on special from them. For instance, Sears had a Wiha 4pc. Insulated SD set for $30. I went to Wiha's website, they had a 10pc. Insulated set for $30 (on special).

I also like www.acetoolonline.com . They have a lot of Klein tools. Decent prices too.

Doesn't hurt to check with your local hardware store or electrical supply house. They may surprise you with good prices, or at least come close to online prices. If you consider shipping charges for online purchases, maybe the supply house can match price, or be slightly above, but with no shipping actually save you a couple of bucks.

I used to work at a small town hardware store...as a lad...long ago...

Last edited by BP_redbear; 10-13-2008 at 08:10 PM.
BP_redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #4

For knipex tools, go to chadstoolbox.com. They have the lowest prices I've seen and if they're higher on anything they'll match it, but I haven't seen anything that they're higher on yet. It's a family company with good prices and quick shipping.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
EMT/Apprentice Electrican

Rewards Points: 150

When i was looking for tools, I went to home depot, they did not have to much, but then the local loews. They had a decent selectrion, I bought a pair of 9s, there pretty nice, there springloaded, and got a good grip, but i wished they locked.
thekoolcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #6

Spring loaded linesmans? You might want to look for a new pair! No good linesmans need a lock on them, because they don't have springs!

Here's a good pair as an example: http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Journeym.../dp/B000BYBZ9U

Last edited by gilbequick; 10-29-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,002

i have a pair of knipex red dipped handle linesmens. best pliers i ever had
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:32 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Knipex bought out Witte. Those are the screw drivers you will find in the newer Knipex tool sets. You can find close outs on Witte screwdrivers from older stock that is still lingering around.

Sears doesn't actually have access to "special" stuff from Knipex. They, like Grainger, make up their own item numbers. I have the full US and European catalog with every tool they make. There are some items that are not in the US but can be brought in with a quantity purchase, but they cost more. Sears isn't about to raise their bottom line costs for anything. As for the craftsman/knipex items, and I am just guessing here, Knipex probably forced Sears to put the craftsman label on those tools. Sears probably bought certain items in huge quantity and got a screaming deal from Knipex. If Knipex were to allow those items to be sold as Knipex it would disrupt other distribution. Sears is big, but they cannot outsell 100 distributors. This is a very common practice in the tool industry, and I am sure other industries as well. I can get Ideal wire nuts at 1/2 my cost now, but they will not have the Ideal label, and I wouldn't be able to market them as such. And when it comes to an item like that one, people usually insist on the name brand.

Also, for example, search out an 88 08 250. There are 3 versions of the same thing. The original one is the european version 88 08 250, which is now common stock in the US. Then there is the US version, 88 08 250 US. And then there is the 88 08 250 SBA. The SBA at the end of any Knipex item signifies hang up packaging (display packaging). The SBA number on any item increases the price about $1.25. So if you're ordering Knipex tools from anywhere ask if they are selling you XX XX XXX SBA, if so ask for the non SBA one, it will save you a few bucks if you're ordering multiple items. Providing that distributor will pass on that savings.

Another trick you guys can utilize is in reguards to the shipping cost of dealing with an online company. Many manufactures will drop ship, especially newer ones or smaller ones trying to make a name for themselves. This normally requires a certain dollar amount of a sale. Keep in mind this dollar amount is the distributors cost not yours. And not all manufactures are the same. Some are 1000's of dollars, others are 100. It just depends. Some just will not do it at all no matter how much you buy, Fluke comes to mind there. So if you place an online order for something, and it is expensive, or many items ask them. One thing I have noticed since we started our site is people normally wait until the last minute to buy something. If you plan ahead and order stuff in larger lots at once you can save the money on the freight. The issue with trying to do this is, the manufacture themselves have to have complete stock in one location. And that is not always the case, that is why I mentioned planning ahead. We automatically do this for customers when possible. Also keep in mind, providing you are not in the same state as the company you are buying from, there is no sales tax. There are exceptions to this, and Chris would know more about it. I know for a fact Florida hates this and still taxes it somehow.

JJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 10-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 178

AC:

Correct, Fluke doesn't drop ship. I've ordered from Tequipment where products from Extech, AEMC and I think Ideal too came directly from them, none are small or new companies. Some just drop ship when the vendor is out or if the vendor just doesn't stock the item but lists it.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski View Post
AC:

Correct, Fluke doesn't drop ship. I've ordered from Tequipment where products from Extech, AEMC and I think Ideal too came directly from them, none are small or new companies. Some just drop ship when the vendor is out or if the vendor just doesn't stock the item but lists it.
with all those companies, except fluke that you mentioned, very few distributors actually stock the items. We sell a ton of circuit tracers and analyzers, and stock none. We are going to change that policy soon on the bigger movers. Mainly for shipping times where we are closer to the customer than the manufacture is.

I guess I should not have put small or new in my original post. Ideal is neither and they drop ship (250lbs of wire nuts is not something you want to pay freight on twice) Ideal from a marketing stand point is an amazing company. Their customer service is like none others. We deal with other companies manufacture reps all the time, and even they admit to us often that Ideal has more on the ball than most companies out there. I cannot tell you how many times I call up a manufacture rep and ask for information or that we would like to pick up their line, only to hear crickets for weeks on end. The sad part is the actual manufacture usually doesn't know this. They use independant companies a lot of times that rep for many manufactures. I truly believe a lot of those reps are just salary monkeys that make what they make no matter who signs up or not. Many don't seem very motivated to me.

With Fluke distributors (this applies to other high dollar equipement also) you really should make sure they are an actual Fluke distributor. Fluke distributors have access to Flukes rebuilding service. Whereas someone selling the items "sideways" doesn't. That is a big deal on the higher end stuff. Once rebuilt you get a new 1 year warranty on top of your old warranty. So you might save $500 today through someone buying from a master distributor and just whoring out the item. But 2 years from now when you want your power quality analyzer or thermal imager (just examples) rebuilt or recalabrated, you are out of luck. So that savings is out the window on your high dollar tester in the long run.

JJ

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 10-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #11

AC:

You lost me on the refurbished warranty Fluke stuff! I've seen listed refurbished Fluke products with full factory warranties at Tequipment's site with a reduced price at times and even IR imagers too!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
AC:

You lost me on the refurbished warranty Fluke stuff! I've seen listed refurbished Fluke products with full factory warranties at Tequipment's site with a reduced price at times and even IR imagers too!
When you first buy a product from fluke, I will use the thermal imagers as an example, you get a warranty. On those it is generally a 2 year warranty. After the 2 years is up you can send it back to Fluke, for approx $700, and have it completely rebuilt and recalibrated. Only a real Fluke distributor can do this. Tequipment is a real one.

Some people decide to trade up these units to the newer version or a bigger better one. So the distributor will give credit on the unit on the upgrade and then they will do it and sell it as a refurb.

What I meant in that other post was, when you buy high end equipment make sure the person you are buying it from is an actual distributor. If they are not they will not be able to provide this type of service. So in the thermal imager example you spend 4500 or so with a 2 year warranty. And then you will probably have to upgrade in 2 years so another 4500 (plus inflation). With a real Fluke distributor you can have it rebuilt after 2 years for $700 and get a new 1 year warranty. So one of those 2nd tier distributors that are willing to whore out the item for 3700 gives you a 800 savings off the bat, but over the years you are out thousands.

JJ

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 10-30-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #13

AC:

Okay, I got it now! Jiust like Fluke stuff on eBay, NIB and stated as having a full factory warranty. Not so, unless they are a Authorized Fluke Distributor. The Fluke warranty is "only" for the original purchase.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #14
Tabihu Juhar

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Sears

I applaud Sears for the line of electricians tools they cover They have some better tools than big Blue or Orange. The only insulated tools I see at the big box stores are TaskForce or the such. I have never seen big Whatever carry Fluke products. Craftsman is a hard line to compete against

Thumbs up.
76nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #15

I seen one pair of some sort-of Klein insulated pliers at Home Depot one time. It was odd as it looked like their 1000V line of tools, color and all but the packaging wasn't labeled as insulated to 1000V.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I seen one pair of some sort-of Klein insulated pliers at Home Depot one time. It was odd as it looked like their 1000V line of tools, color and all but the packaging wasn't labeled as insulated to 1000V.
why do you need insulated tools? (honest question)
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Tabihu Juhar

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d. View Post
why do you need insulated tools? (honest question)

I have the feeling I may be in for a bashing here, but it is how it is. I don't do construction work, frankly, I don't care for it. I have done maintenance work for over ten years. It is much easier for me to troubleshoot online. A lot of the work I must perform HAS to be done online.

There are construction electricians and there are maintenance electricians, and the combination of both. You guys install it, we come in after, maybe years after and troubleshoot it. Sometimes offline isn't an option. Now go ahead and tell me it is, that's fine.

Let me ask you my friend, why do you need PPE? (Honest question).
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #18

oohhh, this is kinda like watching two gladiators circle each other in a dirt pit. I know it's gonna be ugly but I can't look away.

Chris

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76nemo View Post
I have the feeling I may be in for a bashing here, but it is how it is. I don't do construction work, frankly, I don't care for it. I have done maintenance work for over ten years. It is much easier for me to troubleshoot online. A lot of the work I must perform HAS to be done online.

There are construction electricians and there are maintenance electricians, and the combination of both. You guys install it, we come in after, maybe years after and troubleshoot it. Sometimes offline isn't an option. Now go ahead and tell me it is, that's fine.

Let me ask you my friend, why do you need PPE? (Honest question).
actually i was just concerned about his level of expierence. you maintenance and service guys DO need the insulated stuff. us construction types rarely do.
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Tabihu Juhar

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
oohhh, this is kinda like watching two gladiators circle each other in a dirt pit. I know it's gonna be ugly but I can't look away.

Chris
Why would you try to feed the gator/arguement, if there was a possibility of an honest answer Aiken??? Just curious. One thing you'll find with me is I am NOT one to argue.