Electrician Talk banner

Sockets and wrenches

10K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  NY ELECTRIC 
#1 ·
What does everyone have for socket and wrench sets?

I think snap-on is pretty much the best out there but I can't see spending that kind of money.

For the most part I have SK Tools, a few Craftsman and some Stanley.

#9 ·
I just posted something about having to replace my ratchet and sockets and everything so here's my two cents:
I went to Sears and bought a 3/8 drive ratchet set...the 35$ joint that comes with like ten sockets in a black plastic case. I got in my car, opened it up, put a socket on and i could spin the socket by hand both ways (granted with a little pressure exerted), but the point is the bearings/gears/whateverthehellisinthere were shot right out of the box. I took it back and got a refund, went straight to HD and got Husky stuff. Craftsman disappoints me time after time. I wanted to buy American and do the craftsman thing...but i just can't take that kind of disappointment. I never had a problem with Husky stuff...yea i know it's not the best, but at least it will take a little while before it breaks. Not right outta the box.:censored::censored::censored:

#16 ·
I have mainly craftsman. Though I do have some old "industro select" that were dads, These wrenches are 45 + years old and tough as hell. I have beaten on them with no mercy and their just as good as new.
I also have bought some Kobalt wrenches from Lowes that I have beat on and they are holding up fantastic.
Pipe wrenches are strictly Rigid brand. The old steel ones not the aluminum ones. My 3' and 4' pipe wrenches have come in handy many times over the years.

#21 ·
I have misc Craftsman, MAC, Snap-On, and Master Mechanic sockets, ratchets, and wrenches thrown all over my rolling tool box.

The sets I have are:

Klein 3/8" shallow and deep SAE set with ratchet and extensions in metal case.
Klein 3/8" deep SAE sockets in metal case.
Craftsman 1/4" SAE set.
Husky 1/4" SAE/Metric set with screwdriver handle and a bunch of tips.
Craftsman 1/2" SAE set.

Husky Stubby SAE wrenches.
Greenlee SAE gear-wrenches.
Craftsman SAE double box ended gear-wrenches.
Craftsman combination wrench set 1/4" to 9/16"
Craftsman combination wrench set 1" to 1 5/16" - The big guys

#22 ·
I have Gearwrench brand ratcheting combination wrenches 1/4" - 1 1/8". My ratchets and sockets are Popular Mechanics brand that I got cheap from Wal Mart when they clearanced them out. They're not the best, but for the occasional use I put them to, they're fine.

#24 ·
I have Gearwrench brand ratcheting combination wrenches 1/4" - 1 1/8". My ratchets and sockets are Popular Mechanics brand that I got cheap from Wal Mart when they clearanced them out. They're not the best, but for the occasional use I put them to, they're fine.
I have a set of gearwrench also. I have had trouble with the mechanism stripping out, They always made good on them but still.

#30 ·
I bought stanley sets for my trucks and a rack of standard and metric wrenches. Lifetime guarentee and nice stong cases in which the tools actually stay in place. I bought 2 sets of cobalts and none of the sockets would stay in their place without adding a foam piece in before you shut it.:censored: I got the 200 piece set of stanley tools and the wrenches for 120.00 with tax

#35 ·
I have Craftsman, Kobalt, Snap-on, Mac, and I have no problems with any of them. I am however gonna start buying some Proto tools to check em out. The price on their swivel sockets cant be beat. The same can not be said for their line of ratchet box wrenches - $700 a set- nice set but no way jose'

#36 ·
I use a Husky 3/8 ratchet set maybe 10 sockets I keep it in my bag because I use it everyday, and I love the quality, very smooth and durable and the sockets don't fall off, personally i like it just as much as my larger craftsman set which stays home to work on my truck. However husky pliers are
CR:censored:P my first set of channies was by husky and they slipped out of the grooves or jammed up or the handles fell off... now i carry several different sizes of Channel locks and they are great... never had a problem with them and I use them ALOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.