Stick cordless screwdriver - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree12Likes

Old 05-18-2019, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,092
Default Stick cordless screwdriver

Does anyone make a decent inline cordless screwdriver? I had one years back and I kinda miss it. I don’t typically use a impact driver
due to the type of work I do, however a stick cordless would be the bomb. I’m finding that arthritis and carpal tunnel are slowing my game.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 186

Get one of these:

MikeFL likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Yeah not so much Splatz, I was hoping for battery power.
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8,986

https://us.amazon.com/Bosch-Bare-Too.../dp/B009K1H3VE
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 2,083

Why do you want it to be stick shaped?

Personally, I find gun shaped to be best for everything, even devices and cover plates.

If you specifically don’t want the impact gun, you could get the drill/driver.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,042

Milwaukee has an M4 screwdriver.

I was going to get one for control panel work but I just use my M12 fuel impacts for everything so I didn't want to have the driver just sit there.
HackWork likes this.
HackWork (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 2,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Milwaukee has an M4 screwdriver.

I was going to get one for control panel work but I just use my M12 fuel impacts for everything so I didn't want to have the driver just sit there.
Exactly, I use my M12 impact for everything. I used it earlier today to install dimmers, including the cover plate screws. I still haven’t stripped a single screw with it yet and it’s been close to 10 years that I’ve been using a 12v impact for devices.
Moonshot180 likes this.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
cog

Rewards Points: 1,174

I have an old white version of this one...use it all the time. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Its actually an impact, but only about 12ftlbs max, so you'd have to try to strip something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7...0DSE/203162011
splatz likes this.
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Why do you want it to be stick shaped?

Personally, I find gun shaped to be best for everything, even devices and cover plates.

If you specifically don’t want the impact gun, you could get the drill/driver.
I've used a 12v Hitachi impact in MCC buckets and combo starters, but it felt awkward and slower, so I went back to a regular screwdriver. Reaching into the back of cabinets is kinda tough sometimes so the stick is my preference. Years back I had a stick Skil that was nice but the batteries are toasted naturally.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuiec View Post
I have an old white version of this one...use it all the time. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Its actually an impact, but only about 12ftlbs max, so you'd have to try to strip something.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-7...0DSE/203162011
Yeah that's what I'm thinking about, but $167.00 is spendy for no more than that.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 214

I love this Dewalt screwdriver. It senses the movement of your hand and turns the bit accordingly. It's variable speed and reverses automatically. The battery lasts a good long time. (I suggest you buy extra batteries. Long is not forever.) It's small enough to keep in your tool bag. My only complaint is the power switch tends to break. I bought a second one when this first happened so I could send the broken one in for repair (under warranty). I like this tool so much, I couldn't be without it. The second one experienced the same problem (after I had the first one back from the shop) so I sent one in for repair again.
Even with this problem, I recommend this tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-8...2N1A/205382906

Last edited by Coppersmith; 05-19-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Coppersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coppersmith For This Useful Post:
460 Delta (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
I love this Dewalt screwdriver. It senses the movement of your hand and turns the bit accordingly. It's variable speed and reverses automatically. The battery lasts a good long time. (I suggest you buy extra batteries. Long is not forever.) It's small enough to keep in your tool bag. My only complaint is the power switch tends to break. I bought a second one when this first happened so I could send the broken one in for repair (under warranty). I like this tool so much, I couldn't be without it. The second one experienced the same problem (after I had the first one back from the shop) so I sent one in for repair again.

Thanks.
Local HD has them. I’m gonna get one today and try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #13
cog

Rewards Points: 1,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Yeah that's what I'm thinking about, but $167.00 is spendy for no more than that.
It is, think I got it clearance for $99......not something I would have gone looking for.

Quote:

I think this might just be my next one. Gonna keep an eye put for one to try out on the job site. The older I get, the less twisting the better!
stuiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,218

Being a proud caveman I too use a STANLEY YANKEE screwdriver for trimout. Never once have I had to change the battery in it. The ones that I use are 130A or the 135A. I have a 135A here in the computer room and it is 8 1/4" retratced and 11 3/4" extended. That is the basic tool. If you look on ebay you can still find the small ones.
There is one in the basement that belonged to dad I bet it is 24"long extended. He used it hanging doors. It is in the same box as his brace and bits and long Stanley planes.

You can find adaptors that adapt Yankee screwdrivers to the impact rated tools and modern drive points.
LC
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
splatz likes this.

Last edited by Lone Crapshooter; 05-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,114

Quote:
Does anyone make a decent inline cordless screwdriver? I had one years back and I kinda miss it. I don’t typically use a impact driver
due to the type of work I do, however a stick cordless would be the bomb. I’m finding that arthritis and carpal tunnel are slowing my game.
A good portion of the time I use the DeWalt 7.2v and love it, good screwdriver.

[IMG][/IMG]
Missouri Bound likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #16

Quote:

Well a bit of an update here, I bought the DeWalt here and it's been a mixed bag. It has the shape I like, but the gyro control isn't as easy to control as I would like. I'm going to keep it and maybe I'll get comfortable with the control on it.
I miss my old Skil stick.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 333

Quote:
Well a bit of an update here, I bought the DeWalt here and it's been a mixed bag. It has the shape I like, but the gyro control isn't as easy to control as I would like. I'm going to keep it and maybe I'll get comfortable with the control on it.
Takes practice. I was on the fence at first but after putting in 100 furniture whips and covers I got really good at it lol
Smid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #18
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,114

Quote:
Tried it in a store and hated it.

First impressions are often best.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 26,358

Go with a low voltage pistol screwdriver.

They are IDEAL for trimming out.

They don't over-torque.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Go with a low voltage pistol screwdriver.

They are IDEAL for trimming out.

They don't over-torque.
Seeing as I don't do residential or much commercial, trimming out isn't something I do much of. In my little world I prefer a stick shape for combo units and MCC buckets. Just saying.
emt1 (11-26-2019)