Sweet Knipex Pliers & Wrench In One - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Default Sweet Knipex Pliers & Wrench In One

Finally, the Knipex line is going up at AC Tool Supply. It's proving to be more difficult than expected. See the Germans have this funny little measurement system called the "Metric System". Anyhow, the specs on all these tools are in metric and as each individual tools goes up on the site, the metric has to be converted for our SAE using American customers. The bright side is, through this tedious process, we have the opportunity to learn every little detail about the product. (When I say we I mean JJ )

Now for the cool part. JJ found this neat little tool. An insulated wrench and self-adjusting pliers in one tool. Here's the link to the product: Knipex 86 07 250 Insulated Self Adjustable Pliers Wrench

If any of you have experience with this tool, please chime in. I want to know what all of you think.

Chris
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
Finally, the Knipex line is going up at AC Tool Supply. It's proving to be more difficult than expected. See the Germans have this funny little measurement system called the "Metric System". Anyhow, the specs on all these tools are in metric and as each individual tools goes up on the site, the metric has to be converted for our SAE using American customers. The bright side is, through this tedious process, we have the opportunity to learn every little detail about the product. (When I say we I mean JJ )

Now for the cool part. JJ found this neat little tool. An insulated wrench and self-adjusting pliers in one tool. Here's the link to the product: Knipex 86 07 250 Insulated Self Adjustable Pliers Wrench

If any of you have experience with this tool, please chime in. I want to know what all of you think.

Chris
I could use a pair of those! they look great.

Cost more than my 1st car though.

When you're looking for reviews on Knipex tools, sign me up!
heel600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fantastic! I'm glad to see you finally got the Knipex line up and going. I just checked out your site and it's more organized and easy to navigate now than it was before. I don't know if it's a glitch or not, or maybe everything isn't loaded yet but when I try to click on a Knipex tool it takes me back to the home menu.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #4

Other than being insulated, are they really that much different than a pair of smooth jaw channel locks?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
Fantastic! I'm glad to see you finally got the Knipex line up and going. I just checked out your site and it's more organized and easy to navigate now than it was before. I don't know if it's a glitch or not, or maybe everything isn't loaded yet but when I try to click on a Knipex tool it takes me back to the home menu.

Yea, we started from a blank page today so the links aren't set up yet. What you see so far is the product of JJ toiling at it all day. I think he's going cross-eyed. If you type "Knipex" into the Search Bar it will bring up a list each individual tool we got up so far.

As for the the wrench-pliers, I don't know. That's why I wanted to know if anyone had run into a pair of them out in the field.

Chris

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 10-15-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 642

I have several pairs of those. I love 'em.

Gil, they do not chew up the part your wrenching on.
Also, you can use them almost like a ratcheting wrench. Once the adjustment is set right you can use one hand to crank down and let up and crank back down again. The tool will open enough to move to the next flat of the nut or bolt you are turning.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I have several pairs of those. I love 'em.
Are they all Knipex brand or are there others like these?

Chris

Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,208

In my expierence two in one tools are like the spork like Popeye's gives you, a nice idea but never works very well as a fork or a spoon.
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
In my expierence two in one tools are like the spork like Popeye's gives you, a nice idea but never works very well as a fork or a spoon.

Yea, but have you ever used a spork that was "precision hand crafted" in Germany?

Chris

Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Other than being insulated, are they really that much different than a pair of smooth jaw channel locks?
Just from looking through my catalog I think the major difference is that jaws of the pliers are designed so they always stay parallel and that the jaws will not try to spread when you try to loosen or tighten something.
Lz_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
53 GONE AT LAST!

Location: UK, by the seaside, besides the sea!! No F1 Champs this seaqson, though but

Being in the UK I can work Metric or IMPERIAL with equal aplomb; I have no prejudices. I am 'Multi-measuremental' So if you want to send something my-way for evaluation then feel free...and I will use it in inches or milimetres; whatever you want

TRIMIX...Deep down you know you want it! Trimix-leccy; pulling the envelope---not pushing it
Trimix-leccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Yea, but have you ever used a spork that was "precision hand crafted" in Germany?

Chris

From the same people that brought us WWI and WWII.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
From the same people that brought us WWI and WWII.
......and my Mother.
And I am absolutely fine with that.

Some of the greatest technologies and inventions came out of Nazi Germany.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Are they all Knipex brand or are there others like these?
I have several of the plier wrench pliers shown, diagonals, several Cobra pliers and others. All Knipex. The one thing I don't care for is their lineman's pliers.

I also find Wera, Witte and Wiha screwdrivers the best there are.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
......and my Mother.

I had grandparents on each side of that war, so I like everyone.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:
......and my Mother.

My post was suppose to be a humours response, A Hitler youth once told me hey man the Volkswagen was a decent idea that came from Germany, I told him yeah 25,000,000 plus dead for a car that makes a good dune buggy, not sure about that trade off.

On another note the Germans also seem to make all the concrete pumpers and a majority of the tower cranes.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #17

I'm all about buying USA made products, but the fact is that Germans make some damn good tools.

I'm interested in this plier wrench as well. Could this tool replace a host of sockets and wrenches, or is it just convenient every once in a while?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
......and my Mother.

Not to mention the leaps and bounds in medical knowledge from using humans rather than lab rats.
We should make death row inmates a similar deal.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #19

Quote:
I'm all about buying USA made products, but the fact is that Germans make some damn good tools.

I'm interested in this plier wrench as well. Could this tool replace a host of sockets and wrenches, or is it just convenient every once in a while?
I think for real torque, you'll wanna stick with the insulated sockets and ratchet handle.

SpeedyPetey apparently has several pairs. Do you use them on a daily basis, Speedy? And what tools did they replace?

Chris

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 10-16-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #20

I used to keep a small crescent wrench in my pouch. I keep the 7"(?) pliers wrench on me know. Much more versatile and easy to use. Anyone that has never seen them likes them.
No, they won't replace a ratchet, but they will replace a crescent wrench and a set of open end wrenches any day.

The small 7" will even turn a hand KO punch, within reason, if need be. I know I can do 1-1/4" conduit KO with them.