Tool Bag or Tool Belt - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 05-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Tool Bag or Tool Belt

I just got into an apprenticeship and I have a tool belt left over from carpentry work that I have previously done and I'm trying to decide if I need something new. I'm wondering what most electricians use, a belt or a bag, and what are the pros and cons associated with each?
eagerbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It depends on what type of work you will do. For marine I used a back pack tool bag. In res and com I use both a bag and belt. Rough in is one belt. Trim outs another. Everything that's not in those belts are in the bags.
Theriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
jza
Mad as Hell Member

Rewards Points: 2,318

A bag.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

What kind of carpenter belt do you have?
Acadian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Data Tech/Apprentice.

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbeaver
I just got into an apprenticeship and I have a tool belt left over from carpentry work that I have previously done and I'm trying to decide if I need something new. I'm wondering what most electricians use, a belt or a bag, and what are the pros and cons associated with each?
A lot of guys use a car enters ouch on the left side of their rig and an electricians ouch on their right side. So you might just need to buy one new ouch.
eagerbeaver (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
A lot of guys use a car enters ouch on the left side of their rig and an electricians ouch on their right side. So you might just need to buy one new ouch.
Something wrong with your "p" key?
Acadian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadian9 For This Useful Post:
Celtic (05-15-2012), chewy (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 117

been on a medical school job since last year when I got in my apprenticeship. No previous commercial electrical or other experience. Used my old carpenter's pouch up until 2 weeks ago when I bought a Klein Apron.

I have a bag with the bulk of my stuff which has barely gotten use and keep the couple items I use everyday with me (strippers, linesmen pliers, #2 phillips, beater slotted, sharpie, pencil, needlenose, knife, torpedo level, 1 roll of black tape and a handful of red/yellow wirenuts + antishorts).

There are a few times already where I have missed my pouch but the apron has been better so far 90% of the time as long as i can keep my bag close at hand. Pulling the MC and installing floor boxes from below on a 10/12ft ladder I prefer my toolbelt that I sold.
I can see me getting a new smaller belt in the future for certain ladder work and the like where you need a variety of tools and fasteners/materials or on a job where you don't have access to a cart to put your bag on (my bag already weighs like 50lbs and leave it in the gang box unless I am working with a journeyman with a cart or am working in the same spot all day fabricating.)

Day to day though, I am more comfortable in the apron and wear it all day vs the tool belt which was only worn sometimes and pocket tooling it the rest of the time. It holds about the same amount of stuff as my belt , but its the organization and accessibility of the pouch I have been missing so far...I have to root and feel around in the apron to find a wirenut and small tools like my strippers often fall over and end up wedged in the bottom.

The biggest thing I can stress tho is it is more comfortable to wear the apron all day vs a few hours of the pouch with shoulder straps. I already have seen an increase in my "ready at handness" because I now carry more tools with me throughout the day then I could in my pockets and in a better more comfy way to boot.

We are lucky that a lot of our work can be done with the same tools, at least that is what I have seen.

Last edited by sayn3ver; 05-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sayn3ver For This Useful Post:
eagerbeaver (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbeaver View Post
Read this thread it should help you..http://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/l...pouches-38368/

And congratulations on the apprenticeship....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
eagerbeaver (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Just a cheap set of CLCs. I'm looking at the occidental pair specifically made for electricians. They come with a suspension system which would be nice because I tend to get a sore lower back. Its just the price of those that is making me hesitate
eagerbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
RIP 1959-2015

Rewards Points: 1,344

Quote:
Just a cheap set of CLCs. I'm looking at the occidental pair specifically made for electricians. They come with a suspension system which would be nice because I tend to get a sore lower back. Its just the price of those that is making me hesitate
They are made in the USA and they will give you 10 -20 years of service and they are very well built..

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Buzzy304E

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
No p on your keyboard?

should of......could of....would of.....might of?
ibuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

it's either a 25 letter alphabet , or Chewy's fried up P along with his lamb bones.....~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

I carry two bags and a belt at all times. If I'm doing a lot of metal stuff like strut I have a third bag with the portaband and SDS in it.
bubb_tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
Data Tech/Apprentice.

Rewards Points: 22

No its a dead zone on the touch screen of my smart hone. Real ain in the arise.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 6,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve
it's either a 25 letter alphabet , or Chewy's fried up P along with his lamb bones.....~CS~
It's the frying and the ain killer ills he's taking.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #16
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
No its a dead zone on the touch screen of my smart hone. Real ain in the arise.
Oh I See,, your typing with a lisp?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Coffee drinking member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagerbeaver
I use a pouch for service and troubling shooting, an open style pouch and drill holster for rough in. The bags I use have different tools in them and I grab what ever one is needed.
Never liked an apron, but if I needed to wear one, I have it on my truck.

Over time you will learn what's best for the job your doing.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 250

Vetopro . . expensive but the best i"ve ever had. . .
charlie Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlie Bob For This Useful Post:
Frank Mc (05-16-2012), jza (05-16-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028

I am glad I dont have to wear a belt/pouch or anything - service truck bucket and klien zip bags - get what i need and go to town
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
Mad Skills

Rewards Points: 2,050

Quote:
I just got into an apprenticeship and I have a tool belt left over from carpentry work that I have previously done and I'm trying to decide if I need something new.
I use a carpenter's pouch when doing resi. rough installs....a carhartt apron on commercial/office/retail work...my pockets on industrial/POCO jobs....

Quote:
I'm wondering what most electricians use, a belt or a bag, and what are the pros and cons associated with each?
I've used...tool boxes, bags and buckets....sometimes a combination of all three.

There is no "one" answer to your question.
The job changes...the tools needed change....even your body decides it doesn't like what previously worked.

Travel light ...there is always another tool, bag, pouch, bag, etc to buy...if not today ~ tomorrow.
Save your money and only buy what you need...you'll end with too much other stuff whether you meant to or not.