Truck Fitout - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree16Likes

Old 09-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Truck Fitout

I'm looking for input from the brain trust - my boss is getting me a new F150. I'm trying to figure out the best way to outfit it. Right now I have an older F250 with a crossover box. I keep some things like organizer trays, ratchet set, etc in the box, and my back seat is full of tools. I was thinking about putting a cap on the new truck, with one of those slide out trays, and building shelving onto it. This way I can (hopefully) keep the backseat empty.
I am not regularly in the field, I'm in the office most of the time,but I do service calls occasionally, services, and emergency hookups for generators. I can probably eliminate some of the tools I keep on the truck, but I'm the type of guy who likes to always have whatever I might need...
I'm wondering if anybody has this type of setup, or any ideas that may be better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
sparkee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

If you're thinking of a cap, I'd recommend either one without windows or a hard tonneau cover. Thinking theft here. No need to temp someone with stuff they can see.

Slideout trays are awesome, but just know that you'll need to park where you can slide it out. Also, if you don't park level, sliding out a heavily loaded tray will be like taking your own life in your hands. Sliding it back in will take two men and a boy.
MechanicalDVR and tmessner like this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 470

I have a Pack Rat slide out tray and absolutely hate it. I would prefer this.

MechanicalDVR and HackWork like this.

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
If you're thinking of a cap, I'd recommend either one without windows or a hard tonneau cover. Thinking theft here. No need to temp someone with stuff they can see.

Slideout trays are awesome, but just know that you'll need to park where you can slide it out. Also, if you don't park level, sliding out a heavily loaded tray will be like taking your own life in your hands. Sliding it back in will take two men and a boy.
I was thinking the same regarding theft. I had a tonneau cover on my old personal truck, my only concern is I'm not sure if I can fit everything in neatly, and how accessible it would be.
I've heard that about the slide out trays, which is one of the things making me question it...

Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #5

What about it do you hate? The limitations on pulling it out and pushing it back in easily, or is there something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
I have a Pack Rat slide out tray and absolutely hate it. I would prefer this.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 624

"There's no excuse not to have XYZ" when you have a service truck, or so customers always think.

My thoughts--a cap is practically a necessity, it allows you to transport stuff
without exposing them to the elements, it can be locked, etc. Tools and supplies do not belong in the back seat, it is a safety hazard if you were to get in an accident and it makes them visible to thieves.

External access to tools is far, far preferable to having to crawl into the dark hole and find things quickly. IMO, the ideal setup would be external tool access, use the inside for parts inventory.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,772

I'd go for ladder rack and toolboxes on the side, I just stumbled across this one looking for a picture but I really like the looks of it:

I'd add a small gang box and a set of ramps, plus good lock to secure the gang box to the bed. I'd leave the gang box back there all the time empty unless I needed the space for a generator or etc., just empty dry safe cargo space.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I'd go for ladder rack and toolboxes on the side, I just stumbled across this one looking for a picture but I really like the looks of it:

I'd add a small gang box and a set of ramps, plus good lock to secure the gang box to the bed. I'd leave the gang box back there all the time empty unless I needed the space for a generator or etc., just empty dry safe cargo space.
I like the looks of that a lot but when my BIL had a similar rig he was often shoveling snow out of it. Eventually he enclosed it.

There is something to be said for work caps with side access doors.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rora View Post
"There's no excuse not to have XYZ" when you have a service truck, or so customers always think.

My thoughts--a cap is practically a necessity, it allows you to transport stuff
without exposing them to the elements, it can be locked, etc. Tools and supplies do not belong in the back seat, it is a safety hazard if you were to get in an accident and it makes them visible to thieves.

External access to tools is far, far preferable to having to crawl into the dark hole and find things quickly. IMO, the ideal setup would be external tool access, use the inside for parts inventory.
And I would disagree with a cap... Tough getting motors, cable, panels, etc in with a forklift or a crane with a top.. Not to mention getting them out you are like a dog having his way with a football...

Get a restraining system for the backseat.. I've got tools, manuals, extra clothes and an air pack in my back seat and it's all roped in...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 120

This is what I use. Keeps my stuff dry, organized, and completely lockable. Ladder rack built into the top. It also has the option of a jet rack for a 6’ ladder in the back but I was too cheap to add it at the time. I might still do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Fitout-8dd42c22-5452-4ac5-80ac-33fc75a9e148_1536354580959.jpg  

MechanicalDVR likes this.
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
And I would disagree with a cap... Tough getting motors, cable, panels, etc in with a forklift or a crane with a top.. Not to mention getting them out you are like a dog having his way with a football...

Get a restraining system for the backseat.. I've got tools, manuals, extra clothes and an air pack in my back seat and it's all roped in...
It all depends on how much of that type work you do.

A 4' x 6' open trailer is a great thing to have when you need those type of things.

There is no way I'd have all that stuff in my backseat.
glen1971 likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop

Last edited by MechanicalDVR; 09-07-2018 at 06:16 PM.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,812

I was gonna do a slide out in my 150 but then just decided to carry less stuff, much easier.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
This is what I use. Keeps my stuff dry, organized, and completely lockable. Ladder rack built into the top. It also has the option of a jet rack for a 6’ ladder in the back but I was too cheap to add it at the time. I might still do that.
This is the style of cap I was thinking about. I don't need a utility body, and I don't want to put side boxes or a ladder rack. I keep a 4' ladder in my truck, which is all I need 90% of the time. That other 10% I can strap a different ladder to the top of the cap. I don't carry any large equipment or materials so I don't really have a need for an open bed. I was thinking of the slide out tray so I can build some shelving to organize my tools and not have to climb in there to go fishing. I'm slowly switching over to the Milwaukee packout system, eventually the majority of my tools will be in those, so in theory I should be able to keep it pretty organized...

Old 09-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
I was gonna do a slide out in my 150 but then just decided to carry less stuff, much easier.
Haha I always say that, but somehow I just keep throwing more into my truck!

Old 09-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:

One of my issues with keeping everything in the backseat is everything's always flying all over the place... What do you mean by restraining system? Just some bungee cords? What do you use?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I like the looks of that a lot but when my BIL had a similar rig he was often shoveling snow out of it. Eventually he enclosed it.

There is something to be said for work caps with side access doors.
Yes! I'm sick of shoveling out the bed of my truck!

sbrn33, MechanicalDVR and glen1971 like this.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkee13 View Post
One of my issues with keeping everything in the backseat is everything's always flying all over the place... What do you mean by restraining system? Just some bungee cords? What do you use?

I've got one of these.. They definitely allow easy access on the ends, and with a carabiner clip, the middle area is easy too..

https://quarantinerestraints.com/our...go-restraints/

Coming from one who's been in a rollover in a company truck, I'm glad I've got this in my truck now.. I didn't then, but didn't get hurt from the accident.. The contents of the truck box were scattered like a yard sale though..
LARMGUY likes this.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
LARMGUY (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
I've got one of these.. They definitely allow easy access on the ends, and with a carabiner clip, the middle area is easy too..
I've never seen that before - it's definitely more secure than bungee cords!

glen1971 likes this.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 3,134

Tell him to get you a van. I believe it snows in NJ right?
MechanicalDVR likes this.

Last edited by sbrn33; 09-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Tell him to get you a van.
Not a chance! I'll take the pickup with a full backseat over a van any day!

glen1971 likes this.