Vacuum - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree12Likes

Old 10-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 51
Default Vacuum

Has anyone found a good cordless compact vacuum? The big shop vac style work great but curious if there's any good ones you've used that aren't so big. Was looking at this Milwaukee but based on reviews it's not too powerfull...
https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-085.../dp/B00T04N2O8

Last edited by JBC1; 10-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.
JBC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,634

I have a Stinger, based on a recommendation from JLarson. $30 at cheapo depot, and I've had it for 4 years. Works great. The power button got smashed so now it is always on, but I just unplug it. Worst case scenario is I throw it away and buy another one for $30.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 97

I have the 18v Milwaukee version of the one you posted and I love it, I'm pretty sure it will give the wife's $ 500 cordless Dyson a run for its money and with a 5.0 battery last a fair while as well.
drspec and Southeast Power like this.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,178

Corded any of the ones like the Stinger or Stanley mini are great and under $30.

Cordless I have the 18v DeWalts (handheld and canister) that work well.

I just bought the one you posted and my wife hasn't let me try it yet but I hear it running all over the house pretty often.

For the record I intend to order two more so I get one of my own.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,120

This is the one you should get

https://www.amazon.com/MILWAUKEE-ELE...lwaukee+vacuum

18v toolbox style......plenty of suction.....ive even used it to blow dirt or water out of conduits
B-Nabs and djp879 like this.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 357

The original M18 vac, the 0880-20, is the one you want.
Grogan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 546

I also suggest the M18 vac. We have 4 of them for cleaning out control cabinets etc. The dewalt 18v / corded is a decent one as well but that walked away on us.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Commie Inflator

Rewards Points: 572

That toolbox style Milwaukee M 18 vacuum is nice, but as someone else said, it's a two hander.

I like the teapot looking one better, and it's newer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 38

Have any of you used one of the Cordless Makita blower/vac style? All my 18v tools are blue, not red, so the M18 Toolbox is a no go for me, if it was, I would for sure get it. The Makita DUB182Z can be used as a vacuum if you get the dust bag.

I like the idea of the higher CFM blower/vac for stringing conduits, but I suppose you don't want to suck up much more than drywall dust and drill bit shavings with this. I wonder what a screw would do to it. Though most of what I would be cleaning up are drywall dust and wood chips/shavings, so it may fit the bill real nicely.
Everett529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
Commie Inflator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett529 View Post
Have any of you used one of the Cordless Makita blower/vac style? All my 18v tools are blue, not red, so the M18 Toolbox is a no go for me, if it was, I would for sure get it. The Makita DUB182Z can be used as a vacuum if you get the dust bag.

I like the idea of the higher CFM blower/vac for stringing conduits, but I suppose you don't want to suck up much more than drywall dust and drill bit shavings with this. I wonder what a screw would do to it. Though most of what I would be cleaning up are drywall dust and wood chips/shavings, so it may fit the bill real nicely.
I looked that up. Surprisingly the manual didn't have warnings or anything about what it can be used to vacuum. But it only said "Dust Suction" so I assume you are not supposed to suck anything solid as it is going thru the propeller/turbine/squirrelcage/whatever and could clog or damage it. Even wood shavings if long enough from an auger bit might be too much for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 38

I did have the thought to put a screen where the hose attaches, then just shut it off over a bucket. So long as the screen is strong enough.
Everett529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,980

I have the dewalt 18v canister vac that also has a 120V cord. It works well for minor cleanup.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw0445 View Post
I have the dewalt 18v canister vac that also has a 120V cord. It works well for minor cleanup.
I've had mine for a long while and just a few days ago it seems to run off the battery fine but just hum when to run on ac.

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #14
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

I have the dewalt 20v/18v/corded one and love it. Great runtime, good suction.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 271

I've been using the M18 toolbox style vacuum for years and love it. It's the only vacuum I carry most of the time (I also have the 5hp Ridgid toolbox style, and a small Ridgid 6hp vacuum, both corded).

If you decide to go with the M18 toolbox style, be aware that there's a newer version of it (albeit with the exact same model number, UPC code, and Home Depot SKU) that has internal hose storage. I've only seen this newer model at two Home Depot stores; in fact it doesn't even appear on Milwaukee's web site, but here's a picture of the two models (boxed) side-by-side.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
UncleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
MTW

Rewards Points: 12,543

I convinced my boss to buy the new Milwaukee toolbox style posted above with internal tool storage for my Sprinter. I can't really live without it. With his account at HD it was only $80. All the guys I work with love it too.

I bought the Milwaukee kettle style vac for myself but I wish I had bought the toolbox style now.
MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Commie Inflator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
I convinced my boss to buy the new Milwaukee toolbox style posted above with internal tool storage for my Sprinter. I can't really live without it. With his account at HD it was only $80. All the guys I work with love it too.

I bought the Milwaukee kettle style vac for myself but I wish I had bought the toolbox style now.
You have used both a lot? The toolbox is much better?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
You have used both a lot? The toolbox is much better?

I have not even used the kettle style yet, but I like the toolbox much better because of the internal storage. I have to keep the kettle in a Husky bag to keep all the accessories together. I have used the toolbox extensively ever since I bought it and I'm very happy with the performance.
HackWork likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Commie Inflator

The reason I like the kettle style is the way the guy in the video that I always post of it so easily cleans the floor without even having to bend over. It just seems fast and easy for my type of clean-up.

How does the M18 toolbox style vacuum compare to our Ridgid?

Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
MTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The reason I like the kettle style is the way the guy in the video that I always post of it so easily cleans the floor without even having to bend over. It just seems fast and easy for my type of clean-up.

How does the M18 toolbox style vacuum compare to our Ridgid?
I will have to give the kettle its first run through and report back.

As for the Rigid, it's been so long since I used it that I will need to do a side by side comparison now to compare them. I know the Rigid performs very well and I was never disappointed by it. But the convenience of the Milwaukee and compact design give it the edge, IMO.