Veto OT XL toolbag - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Always Learnin'

Rewards Points: 500
Default Veto OT XL toolbag

In the Veto OT XL center divider there is a zipper compartment on both sides that runs the length of the divider and is about1" deep. Can somebody tell me what it is supposed to be used for?
amptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
stop pickin on Peter D...

Rewards Points: 506

driver bits...
nutdriver bits...
telescoping magnet...
center punch...
ear plug packet...

Anything that may lie in there that may get lost elsewhere.
I had a Veto XL closed-top that had similar shallow zippered pockets. That's the type of tools that I put in there.
BP_redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yeah, that's one of the things that irritates me about these bags. They don't have any proper large compartments.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Thread Pirate

Rewards Points: 250

I put sharpies in mine.
PhatElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
R.I.P. 2014

Rewards Points: 4

I believe you are reffering to the "stash" pocket, ask an apprentice.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #6

Come on now, Marine. That's a low blow...

...Unless you are referring to ammo. There may <or may not> be some of that 'stashed' in this apprentice's tool bag...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP_redbear View Post
Come on now, Marine. That's a low blow...

...Unless you are referring to ammo. There may <or may not> be some of that 'stashed' in this apprentice's tool bag...
Honestly I don't even know why anyone would wanna do that stuff at work...

Even when I was smoking on a regular basis I never wanted to do it before 6 or 7 at night after work. It just makes me too damn paranoid around other people and makes it much harder to multitask.

On the other hand, ephedra supplements (no, I'm not talking about meth or crank) def. help this ADD-stricken wireman focus better.
heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
Bucket Head

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by amptech View Post
In the Veto OT XL center divider there is a zipper compartment on both sides that runs the length of the divider and is about1" deep. Can somebody tell me what it is supposed to be used for?
I would put spare hacksaw blades in there.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 538

is there any other bags out there that are like the veto xl. i have seen the clc but it only has a zipper flap on one side and i know it has the deep center pocket but i want something that looks like the veto xl without having to pay 134.95 for it. but that looks to be were im headed, any suggestions??????
bduerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #10

You want quality you need to pay.

Remember they're American made and still a quality product.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

ok so get the veto xl then? do you have any exp. with their bags? if so what are the pros and the cons? sorry im asking so many questions
Old 10-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #12

I own the Veto XXL-F bag, closed top.

Yes, it's big, yes it already adds weight before you put your tools in, but it's built to last.

Keep in mind, I prefer open top bags, but tools kept walking off, and it rains a lot here in New Orleans and my tools had been getting wet too frequently. The zippers are sturdy and have a little loop for a small lock, (which I bought separately and use).

If you don't work out of your bag, the XXL-F closed top is good for just storing a bunch of tools, since lugging the thing around all day going from room to room would be a chore with the amount of weight it can achieve. It does a relatively good job a keeping everything pointed up, but tall tools like 12'' channel locks probably need to be laid down or stored in the large compartment on the other side. Also, the pockets are placed so close together, they don't stay as orderly as you may like, but it does keep them pointing up which I suppose is the purpose. The XXL-F is bigger, yes, but it's mostly just wider, because it's actually shorter than the XL. Another general complaint is that there are no large zippered (or non-zippered) compartments to easily store small oddly shaped bits and things. There are a series of long shallow, tight compartments, but not much beyond that.

I think if you're not looking to lug such a large amount of tools the XL would be fine, or even the XL Open top would be good if you don't need to worry about rain or security. But on that note, there are plenty of similar products on the market.

I cannot say that this is a must-buy, it just comes down to what you need out of your bag, and when the price is as high as it is (but justly so), these are things to consider.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #13

Quote:
I own the Veto XXL-F bag, closed top.

Yes, it's big, yes it already adds weight before you put your tools in, but it's built to last.

Keep in mind, I prefer open top bags, but tools kept walking off, and it rains a lot here in New Orleans and my tools had been getting wet too frequently. The zippers are sturdy and have a little loop for a small lock, (which I bought separately and use).

If you don't work out of your bag, the XXL-F closed top is good for just storing a bunch of tools, since lugging the thing around all day going from room to room would be a chore with the amount of weight it can achieve. It does a relatively good job a keeping everything pointed up, but tall tools like 12'' channel locks probably need to be laid down or stored in the large compartment on the other side. Also, the pockets are placed so close together, they don't stay as orderly as you may like, but it does keep them pointing up which I suppose is the purpose. The XXL-F is bigger, yes, but it's mostly just wider, because it's actually shorter than the XL. Another general complaint is that there are no large zippered (or non-zippered) compartments to easily store small oddly shaped bits and things. There are a series of long shallow, tight compartments, but not much beyond that.

I think if you're not looking to lug such a large amount of tools the XL would be fine, or even the XL Open top would be good if you don't need to worry about rain or security. But on that note, there are plenty of similar products on the market.

I cannot say that this is a must-buy, it just comes down to what you need out of your bag, and when the price is as high as it is (but justly so), these are things to consider.
wow thats a long answer lol. but its what i asked for. yea i dont work out of my bag to much anymore and im not a big fan of my tools walking off and no one seems to know where they went. but im gonna look into the veto xl or the xxl closed bags. plus i know how you feel about the wet tools i live right next to the louisiana border it humid as hell and always wet here. thank you for the advice on the bags i appreciate it
Old 10-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

If you're referring to the Veto bags, sadly enough their made in China.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
If you're referring to the Veto bags, sadly enough their made in China.

Yup, they were just designed by an american carpenter, between beers.
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #16

Oh, that's too bad, my mistake.

On that note, for a product made in China it's of good quality.

Plus there's a 5 year warranty on manufacturer's defects.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 23,618

Quote:
Oh, that's too bad, my mistake.

On that note, for a product made in China it's of good quality.

Plus there's a 5 year warranty on manufacturer's defects.

Yeah it is a well made product for Chinese made but , then again it probably has lead or something nasty in the plastic mix that would be bad if you chewed on it but who other than an Aussie would do that?
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduerler View Post
is there any other bags out there that are like the veto xl. i have seen the clc but it only has a zipper flap on one side and i know it has the deep center pocket but i want something that looks like the veto xl without having to pay 134.95 for it. but that looks to be were im headed, any suggestions??????
The CLC is zippered on both sides, on the model that I have (CLC has many models).
Very similar in construction to Veto XL, which I used to own. And, for $50 for the CLC as compared to $130 for Veto, CLC wins in my opinion.
Considered going to the Veto LC-OT recently, but am sticking with the CLC fo a while, I believe.

I liked the plastic bottom on the Veto better. The pockets seem just a bit more floppy on the CLC. Maybe they're just sewn bigger. The material is just a bit thinner on the CLC.

If the Veto (LC or XL) series of bags were more like $70 to $85, I would consider this a more reasonable price range.

Last edited by BP_redbear; 10-14-2009 at 06:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BP_redbear For This Useful Post:
Mich drew (03-03-2013)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP_redbear View Post
The CLC is zippered on both sides, on the model that I have (CLC has many models).
Very similar in construction to Veto XL, which I used to own. And, for $50 for the CLC as compared to $130 for Veto, CLC wins in my opinion.
Considered going to the Veto LC-OT recently, but am sticking with the CLC fo a while, I believe.

I liked the plastic bottom on the Veto better. The pockets seem just a bit more floppy on the CLC. Maybe they're just sewn bigger. The material is just a bit thinner on the CLC.

If the Veto (LC or XL) series of bags were more like $70 to $85, I would consider this a more reasonable price range.

cool stuff thank you
Old 10-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #20

i just got the clc 1539 its the 18 inch tote with the two side compartments and the one large middle compartment. i put both my tool gags in it i no longer carry two bags now i just have one i love this bag
The Following User Says Thank You to bduerler For This Useful Post:
Mich drew (03-03-2013)