What clamp meters do you recommend? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default What clamp meters do you recommend?

I'm an HVAC service tech looking to replace some of my old meters. What brand do you guys use in the field? I've got old (USA made) Flukes but seems everything is Chinese now. I'm not too sure I want to pay Fluke prices for Chinese stuff. I'm also looking at the UEI 379 phoenix clamp.
nratom45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,262

I know where you are coming from. I use a Fluke 337 it is made in Thiland if that is any conoslation.
Dont quote me on this but I think the only thing Fluke makes overhere is high end meters and instrument calibration equipment.
LC
Lone Crapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

I use a FLuke 33 (replaced now by the 337), and an i410.
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
stop pickin on Peter D...

Rewards Points: 506

I use a Fluke 336. I used to be industrial, now commercial.

Maybe the 322 would be a good choice.
BP_redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

If you do HVAC work, why would you consider anything other than a Fieldpiece? Makes future test equipment investment much cheaper.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
If you do HVAC work, why would you consider anything other than a Fieldpiece? Makes future test equipment investment much cheaper.
I'm just not sold on all those detachable heads. A lot of those pieces aren't that necessary.
Also, they only have a 1 year warranty for most their tools.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
The new UEI meters have detachable heads that fit the field piece meters. We just recently brought them on, but I am not up to speed yet on their product line.

Nratom, if you don't mind import, you can also check out the Extech EX623 & Fluke 902.

Extech: Built in IR thermometer, two built in thermocouplers, 400amp clamp TRMS, NCV detector with LED alert

Fluke: Built in thermocoupler, 600amp clamp TRMS.

If either works for you, we always give a 10% discount to board members.

JJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 07-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Aiken Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
The new UEI meters have detachable heads that fit the field piece meters. We just recently brought them on, but I am not up to speed yet on their product line.

JJ
I've been using FieldPiece stuff since they first came out. My latest addition is the HG-1 tester. It has on-screen guides that take you through the testing procedure for many HVAC tests.

UEI and FieldPiece are brands that are traditionally only marketed and sold to HVAC people.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #9

Quote:
I've been using FieldPiece stuff since they first came out. My latest addition is the HG-1 tester. It has on-screen guides that take you through the testing procedure for many HVAC tests.

UEI and FieldPiece are brands that are traditionally only marketed and sold to HVAC people.
Yeah the UEI line, from what I have seen, is all HVAC related. I only found 1 item I was not impressed with, and that is their gas leak detector. It only goes down to 50ppm, which will not work for our customers. The c125 combustion analyzer is very nice, and they have a really nice dedicated combustion analyzer for oil that is only around $500. Lately we have really been focusing on the weatherization and energy auditing business, which requires a lot of the HVAC type meters.

The UEI line is made in a few different places. They are owned by a company out of the UK, so you see some of it made there. Some in the USA and some china/thailand/etc. The asian stuff is mainly their cheaper items.

JJ

Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Colon View Post
Yeah the UEI line, from what I have seen, is all HVAC related. I only found 1 item I was not impressed with, and that is their gas leak detector. It only goes down to 50ppm, which will not work for our customers. The c125 combustion analyzer is very nice, and they have a really nice dedicated combustion analyzer for oil that is only around $500. Lately we have really been focusing on the weatherization and energy auditing business, which requires a lot of the HVAC type meters.

The UEI line is made in a few different places. They are owned by a company out of the UK, so you see some of it made there. Some in the USA and some china/thailand/etc. The asian stuff is mainly their cheaper items.

JJ
When are you going to post the UEI stuff on your site?> I'm going to give the 379 kit a try.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nratom45-70 View Post
When are you going to post the UEI stuff on your site?> I'm going to give the 379 kit a try.
Going to be ahwile before it gets up there. However I am pretty sure this price is right. $139.95 - 10% = $125.95. I will double check it tomorrow and let ya know.

JJ

Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by nratom45-70 View Post
I'm an HVAC service tech looking to replace some of my old meters. What brand do you guys use in the field? I've got old (USA made) Flukes but seems everything is Chinese now. I'm not too sure I want to pay Fluke prices for Chinese stuff. I'm also looking at the UEI 379 phoenix clamp.
Damn NR, you're really sweatin' this meter purchase!
I think Iíve seen your posts on like four different forums.
I know moneyís tight these days, so research is a good thing.
I guess you decided not to go with TPI?
A lot of guys have been saying good things about their stuff over on HVACTALK, except maybe for the response time of their combustion analyzer.
BTW, not to step on any toes, but the UEI DL379 PHOENIX clamp meter can be had for $113.95 everyday from www.tequipment.com.

link: http://www.tequipment.net/UEiDL379.html
KayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJay View Post
Damn NR, you're really sweatin' this meter purchase!
I think I’ve seen your posts on like four different forums.
I know money’s tight these days, so research is a good thing.
I guess you decided not to go with TPI?
A lot of guys have been saying good things about their stuff over on HVACTALK, except maybe for the response time of their combustion analyzer.
BTW, not to step on any toes, but the UEI DL379 PHOENIX clamp meter can be had for $113.95 everyday from www.tequipment.com.

link: http://www.tequipment.net/UEiDL379.html
No toes being stepped on here, that is just the meter, he wanted the kit. $107.95 with us for just the 379 meter alone. And the 379kit in my above post is correct at $125.95.

JJ

Old 07-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #14

[quote=KayJay;102025]Damn NR, you're really sweatin' this meter purchase!
I think I’ve seen your posts on like four different forums.
I know money’s tight these days, so research is a good thing.quote]
I just want the most bang for my buck 9especially since it's all made overseas). Manufacturer's will tell you their cheapest pice of $hit works great, I trust the guys in the trenches opinion far more than corps
I didn't hear much about TPI so I've ruled their stuff out.
Actually, this started bacause I've been Fluke onlyince the early 80's but suspicion they are now overpriced for the foreign stuff.

Last edited by nratom45-70; 07-20-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

[quote=nratom45-70;[quote I just want the most bang for my buck (especially since it's all made overseas) [/quote]

I think were all the same as far as that goes.

Yeah... simply shopping by brand name is hit or miss sometimes, especially in the low to mid price ranges.
I know a couple of guys that bought the Fluke meter with the type K thermocouple input and the temp function stopped working on them after only a few months,[they were both highly PO'd], so without the temp function, they were nothing more than basic crappy multimeters with a cap test function and needed to sent back for in-warranty service.
On the other hand, Iíve had a cheap $120.00 TPI 343 dual thermocouple thermometer kit thatís already lasted for several years, so there is definitely a lot more than just brand name to be considered in these situations nowadays.
KayJay is offline   Reply With Quote