What do you carry in your tool bag/box? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default What do you carry in your tool bag/box?

I was just curious what tools you guys bring out to service calls. I try to keep my tool bag as light as possible for service, but it's hard to narrow it down when there is just soo many tools to choose from. Thanks.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 640

It's almost a question of what don't I carry.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
It's almost a question of what don't I carry.
Me too. I probably look like a SWAT team warrior when I ring the bell. My standard compliment has evolved over the years, and will likely continue to evolve. Here's what I have on me normally, at the moment.
Right side bag: Straight, Phillips, thin straight, really big honking straight, 10 in 1, 3/8 nutdriver, 9/32 nutdriver, T strippers, fluke non contact voltage thingy, Buchannan C-24 crimpers, nine's, dikes, needle nose, 8" crescent wrench, all steel awl, Lennox folding saw.
Left side bag: wire nuts, staples, tape rule, triple tap, Fluke T5-600 multimeter, flashlight
Middle of back: hammer.

Depending on what I'm doing, I might take a couple things out and add a couple things. Now, on the truck, I've got one of everything you've ever heard of. I'm sure of it.

Last edited by MDShunk; 02-28-2007 at 04:51 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2

Marc, do you carry your hammer in the middle of your back too? I'm the only electrician I've ever seen to do that. I saw a framer do that, and it's the only place it doesn't bother me.
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
Marc, do you carry your hammer in the middle of your back too? I'm the only electrician I've ever seen to do that. I saw a framer do that, and it's the only place it doesn't bother me.
It's the only place I have left! I'm skinny. Well, many electricians are in my observation.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road
Default what to carry

Interesting how country's differ. In England we would not normally use a 'tool belt' The Tooltime types are available here but I suppose it is just a culture thing. We mostly carry a tool box to the job and take from the box what we need as we need it. We also wear designer work gear complete with pockets Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn would have died for.

With bits and pieces of sharp intruments and tools sprouting out from all orifices and openings you get a real 'porcupine look' after a while.

Of course the downside is that not having an at hand pouch to place unused tools means you leave them all over the place, so Saturday mornings is a great place to meet fellow 'dud heads' at the tool shop place.

Frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
Of course the downside is that not having an at hand pouch to place unused tools means you leave them all over the place, so Saturday mornings is a great place to meet fellow 'dud heads' at the tool shop place.
Hey, wearing bags is not a cure for leaving tools lay. I still do so on a regular basis. It seems like the only way I get a phonecall that I've left a tool lay, or remember where I left it, is after I've already bought a new one. A couple of years ago, I lost 3 pairs of skinners in a week's time. I was so angry with myself.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Glad I'm not the only one!
I try and do a last walk through on my small jobs. but more often than I like I leave somthing behind. No excuse for it. The mind just races and things get lost.

Heck, I just went to check a local guys hot tub connection and as I was backing out of his driveway, he chased me down his driveway with my wire strippers in hand!

But his hot tub was outside and We are in the middle of a blizzard!
faber307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #9

I only break out the belt if I'm gonna be doing the same thing all day and need more than my pants can hold up. And when the belt comes out it's loaded very specifically with the tools I know I need. And I don't use suspenders because they're hard on your back.

In my Klein lineman's bag with custom handle. around the outside; I have all my nut drivers, reamer, 420 channies, ideal strippers, dikes, Kleins, needlenose, checkpoint level, and utility knife.
Inside pockets; #1 and #2 phillips and straight, keyhole saw, half round file, beater screwdriver, 6" #1 staright, #2 square head, small channies, various pens pencils and markers, center punch and a tick tracer.
In the bottom; 440 channel locks, MC splitter, plug tester, a "viewtainer" filled with bits and tips, steel tape, small set of hex keys, light weight estwing hammer, leather gloves, and a bottle of water.
Oh I also always carry my Ugly's and a pocket size pad of paper in the side of the bag.

Last edited by Joe Momma; 03-01-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Joe Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

You always carry you Ugly's? That's odd.

When I'm doing a lot of pipe, I often let the Benfield book lay on the tristand or at the bender table. I have the Ugly's on the truck, but can't remember the last time I broke it out. What do you refer to in it, most often?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #11

I dug it out of the truck one day for a load calculation 6 months ago, and it's been there ever since.

But I'll use it for the trig table every once in a while. It's easier to look it up than worrying about breaking or losing my calculator.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #12

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road
Default where did that come from?

What is it about some missing tools. OK some disapear and never surface again. But others live a SPOOKY life style. Do you ever turn your van or truck inside out looking for something you can't find. Maybe empty all your toolboxes and even look in places you know you will not have had it last.
Only, to go buy new and then to find the missing item 'just turn up' out of the blue. So now you have two!!!!!!!!. But where has it been. As I say SPOOKY.

But considering mysteries. Why does cable always snag on something.But only when out of line of sight. You could lay and pull on cable on a football field but as soon as you start pulling with your back turned......there you are. It snagged on something. Again, SPOOKY.

Frank
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

"SPOOKY life style" for some tools. It noticed faithfully. Especially drill bits and side-cutters. Apropos, correctly chosen side-cutters at event can change several tools. It's interesting, what sign you use for their choose. Corner of the sharpening, quip of the edges, backside pliers, non-spring handle, insulation type or each else? Or simple trust name like Klein?
http://v.foto.radikal.ru/0703/483a7abb0d96.jpg
DeepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Wire Ninja

I like the Klein one's with the angled head. Helps me pull staples. I don't like tools with a spring in them, since they don't always sit down in my pouch nice. They tend to "BOING!" out of the pouch.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,208

In our area few electricians carry a tool belt, most use a tool bag. Myself I got tired I got tired of searching in the bag for the one tool I needed. So I switched to a briefcases, at a glance I can tell if something is missing, additionally when I park blocks away I use a hand truck my cases stack nicely and the cases provide added protection to my test equipment.

Daily briefcase

[img] http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...IMGP0256-2.jpg [/img]

Secondary briefcase

[img] http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMGP0257.jpg [/img]
brian john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
In our area few electricians carry a tool belt, most use a tool bag. Myself I got tired I got tired of searching in the bag for the one tool I needed. So I switched to a briefcases, at a glance I can tell if something is missing, additionally when I park blocks away I use a hand truck my cases stack nicely and the cases provide added protection to my test equipment.
I'm sufferring from amp clamp envy.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #17

Daily briefcase

Secondary briefcase

[img] http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/IMGP0257.jpg [/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #18

I am suffering from double post disease Thanks MD, this is about half of what I carry. I have always liked (LOVED) tools, not sure where that comes from, but I have always bought what I needed and try to purchase top of the line. Though one of the meggers in the picture is inexpensive, but I liked the small size for the tool case.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
Wire Ninja

By the way, nice to have you here Brian
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #20

MD:

Thanks for the kind welcome. One question can I post the actual image here?