To wiggy, or not to wiggy - Page 9 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products


View Poll Results: Do you use a wiggy, or not
Yes, I use a wiggy 32 72.73%
No, I never owned a wiggy 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree137Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #161
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,146
Rewards Points: 3,686
Default

As for the Klein meters - like Milwaukee, they do have nice combinations of features ON PAPER. In reality, it will be a while before the stink of their recalls drifts away and I'd even consider one. Even then, it's unlikely with rebranded off brands I'd ever buy one. I have had first hand experience with this, which I try to learn from.

A single tail-chasing adventure with a crap meter wastes enough time / money to pay for a better meter. And that's not the worst thing that can happen with a crap meter. It's just not something I'd skimp on, with safety and frustration and time / money involved, it's the LAST thing I'd skimp on.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #162
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
That looks like a cool little tester, but $9 scares me lol. I also don't care for Klein products anymore, especially not testers/meters.
They are nothing until they have been banned in factories that are over run with PLC-5s!
HackWork likes this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #163
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
As for the Klein meters - like Milwaukee, they do have nice combinations of features ON PAPER. In reality, it will be a while before the stink of their recalls drifts away and I'd even consider one. Even then, it's unlikely with rebranded off brands I'd ever buy one. I have had first hand experience with this, which I try to learn from.

A single tail-chasing adventure with a crap meter wastes enough time / money to pay for a better meter. And that's not the worst thing that can happen with a crap meter. It's just not something I'd skimp on, with safety and frustration and time / money involved, it's the LAST thing I'd skimp on.
Cheap safety equipment isn't the way to go.
bill39 and splatz like this.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #164
Senior Member
 
HackWork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: -
Posts: 32,606
Rewards Points: 355
Default

I still have a Milwaukee tester that was supposed to be the Fluke T5 killer. I remember Big John was eager to get it so I got one too.

It's roughly the same size as the T5, it did 200A in the ampprobe, has LoZ, trueRMS, etc.

But it was very slow to show the voltage. I keep it in my little "basic tools" bag in my personal vehicle.

Jrags, here is a thread you started a while back on it in which we discussed a similar topic to this thread lol: https://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/...dation-224057/
__________________
I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:22 PM   #165
Senior Member
 
HertzHound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: East coast
Posts: 411
Rewards Points: 646
Default

I had the Klein ET-200 for a few years before I switched to the T+ Pro.

The ET-200 served me well for a “check for dead” tester. Also had continuity and a light. The light would get turned on often accidentally. It was low Z but the battery was for the vibration function. The indicator lights worked without battery.
__________________
Why say lot words when few words do trick
HertzHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #166
Senior Member
 
stiffneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Custer's Last Stand, Missouri, USA
Posts: 410
Rewards Points: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I started with a DMM but I listened to others talking about the advantages of a solenoid tester for safety and agreed that for many tasks, you're better off with the reliability and ruggedness despite the limited functions.

I can't imagine trucking around all day every day with a full function DMM, too big, too delicate. I need a dead reliable voltage check and a continuity tester, it has to fit in a pocket or small pouch, it has to be rugged enough to get knocked around a little, and it has to be cheap enough it won't break my heart if it's lost or stolen or damaged.
Long ago I had my government issue Square D type VT-1 "Wiggy" let me down. I received a call from the airport police department that a customer had been "shocked" when standing between 2-signs. The location was along the wall, as you exited concourses "C" and "D" into the baggage claim area Terminal-1 (older area). I checked for voltage between the 2 sign frames and read nothing. The cop said, "just put your shoulders between these 2 signs like I did". I ignored him and then pulled out my cheapy no-name digital multi-meter, to test for voltage. There it was, a little over 500 volts. Turns out the secondary side of the ballast had gone to ground, but the sign and raceway didn't carry the current back to the service. So I turned off and disconnected the sign. The only thing I can figure is there wasn't enough current flow, to energize the relay in the Wiggy. As for the cop, back then they used to shoot each other with their stun guns. Higher voltage with lower current, makes for safer toys.
splatz, joe-nwt and Incognito like this.
__________________
In Bred Electrical Worker
stiffneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #167
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 69
Rewards Points: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I still have a Milwaukee tester that was supposed to be the Fluke T5 killer. I remember Big John was eager to get it so I got one too.

It's roughly the same size as the T5, it did 200A in the ampprobe, has LoZ, trueRMS, etc.

But it was very slow to show the voltage. I keep it in my little "basic tools" bag in my personal vehicle.

Jrags, here is a thread you started a while back on it in which we discussed a similar topic to this thread lol: https://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/...dation-224057/
Haha. Nice pull Hack!

I should have asked if anyone had experience with the new Klein ET60 to see if their quality has improved. This is the one that actually seems more like a LoZ Wiggy than their other ones.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/e...voltage-tester
Jrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #168
Senior Member
 
FishinElectrcian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
As for the Klein meters - like Milwaukee, they do have nice combinations of features ON PAPER. In reality, it will be a while before the stink of their recalls drifts away and I'd even consider one. Even then, it's unlikely with rebranded off brands I'd ever buy one. I have had first hand experience with this, which I try to learn from.
Was there a lot of recalls on the Klein?

Am I correct that those are made by UEI?

I've been using that CL800 more since I know what the low Z does, it's got everything, even has a single lead holder on the side of the clamp. (Which I only noticed yesterday) Like I said before it's a whole lot of meter for $150, but so slow to read might be 3 or 4 seconds before it registers a voltage and it's a little painful to see amps unless you set it to "max" before energizing.
FishinElectrcian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #169
Hackenschmidt
 
splatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 8,146
Rewards Points: 3,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinElectrcian View Post
Was there a lot of recalls on the Klein?

Yes there were a few that were posted on here and if I recall correctly at least one was a potential safety issue, failing to read voltage or something like that.
__________________
Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #170
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
Long ago I had my government issue Square D type VT-1 "Wiggy" let me down. I received a call from the airport police department that a customer had been "shocked" when standing between 2-signs. The location was along the wall, as you exited concourses "C" and "D" into the baggage claim area Terminal-1 (older area). I checked for voltage between the 2 sign frames and read nothing. The cop said, "just put your shoulders between these 2 signs like I did". I ignored him and then pulled out my cheapy no-name digital multi-meter, to test for voltage. There it was, a little over 500 volts. Turns out the secondary side of the ballast had gone to ground, but the sign and raceway didn't carry the current back to the service. So I turned off and disconnected the sign. The only thing I can figure is there wasn't enough current flow, to energize the relay in the Wiggy. As for the cop, back then they used to shoot each other with their stun guns. Higher voltage with lower current, makes for safer toys.
This example is exactly why one tester is no better or reliable than the rest. Test your testers regularly.
stiffneck likes this.
joe-nwt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joe-nwt For This Useful Post:
stiffneck (08-09-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #171
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
Long ago I had my government issue Square D type VT-1 "Wiggy" let me down. I received a call from the airport police department that a customer had been "shocked" when standing between 2-signs. The location was along the wall, as you exited concourses "C" and "D" into the baggage claim area Terminal-1 (older area). I checked for voltage between the 2 sign frames and read nothing. The cop said, "just put your shoulders between these 2 signs like I did". I ignored him and then pulled out my cheapy no-name digital multi-meter, to test for voltage. There it was, a little over 500 volts. Turns out the secondary side of the ballast had gone to ground, but the sign and raceway didn't carry the current back to the service. So I turned off and disconnected the sign. The only thing I can figure is there wasn't enough current flow, to energize the relay in the Wiggy. As for the cop, back then they used to shoot each other with their stun guns. Higher voltage with lower current, makes for safer toys.


I think in that instance I'd start off with a NCVD.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #172
Senior Member
 
stiffneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Custer's Last Stand, Missouri, USA
Posts: 410
Rewards Points: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I think in that instance I'd start off with a NCVD.
Back in 1996 I didn't have one, but we did have a few "tic" tracers IIRC. Those where located in the Field trucks, not the Service vans. Today everyone has a pocket pencil sized NCVD tester. Progress by inches is still progress.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
In Bred Electrical Worker
stiffneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #173
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffneck View Post
Back in 1996 I didn't have one, but we did have a few "tic" tracers IIRC. Those where located in the Field trucks, not the Service vans. Today everyone has a pocket pencil sized NCVD tester. Progress by inches is still progress.

Not sure what year I got my first neon pocket screwdriver. You touched the clip and the bulb would light up, it didn't take all that much voltage.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #174
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington DC Metro Area
Posts: 69
Rewards Points: 70
Default Fluke T90

Anyone have experience with a Fluke T90?

It is a UK produced fluke tester that looks perfect for this application. Not sure why it wouldn’t work in the US... tests our Voltages too.

Aside from not easily attainable here, it seems pretty good.

https://www.fluke.com/en/product/ele...t110-t130-t150
Jrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #175
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: US
Posts: 3,282
Rewards Points: 1,874
Default

I was thinking about picking up the T6-600. A comparison on sparky channel made it seem like an upgrade from the T5. I like the idea of a quick check of voltage with the open jaws. Accuracy was +/- 3% +3 which is good enough to know what range you're dealing with.

I only own the UEI clamp meter which I really only favor because it has a magnet on the back. Seriously.

I have an etcon solenoid tester but don't carry it.

Anybody have experience with the T6?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
TGGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #176
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
I was thinking about picking up the T6-600. A comparison on sparky channel made it seem like an upgrade from the T5. I like the idea of a quick check of voltage with the open jaws. Accuracy was +/- 3% +3 which is good enough to know what range you're dealing with.

I only own the UEI clamp meter which I really only favor because it has a magnet on the back. Seriously.

I have an etcon solenoid tester but don't carry it.

Anybody have experience with the T6?
They must have improved it since it's inception.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #177
Senior Member
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 14,137
Rewards Points: 3,966
Default

I just bought a T6 today, so far I like it, it is nice to have a back light. I'm curious to see how the field sense works out.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
__________________
Everything has user serviceable parts inside.
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #178
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 875
Rewards Points: 1,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Not sure what year I got my first neon pocket screwdriver. You touched the clip and the bulb would light up, it didn't take all that much voltage.
It was 1975 when I bought my first neon light screwdriver tester.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
bill39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM   #179
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill39 View Post
It was 1975 when I bought my first neon light screwdriver tester.

I can't recall accurately but I think it was before that as we were still dealing with a lot of K&T on jobs.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #180
Old Grumpy Bastard
 
MechanicalDVR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Old Dominion"
Posts: 58,849
Rewards Points: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
I just bought a T6 today, so far I like it, it is nice to have a back light. I'm curious to see how the field sense works out.

Best of luck with it, let u know what you think once it has a little time in grade.
__________________
I'm as Christian as possible in the times we live in.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com