zamac set tools...where??? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Default zamac set tools...where???

I have been looking everywhere for one of those zamac set tools...you know the one, looks like a small pea shooter with an anvil end and a sleeve for the handle.

I've looked everywhere for these, I know I can use a piece of thick rebar to do it but prefer the real mccoy.

I'd put a picture up if I had one...
heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

hiliti or fastenal should have em.
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,164

Drive pin tool a staple of the supply houses in the past, I am surprised you are having trouble locating one.

But a web search did me no good.
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Buy American

Are you talking about a tool for the 1/4" drive pins? I use a piece of 3/8" all thread with 2 nuts on the end. The first nut screwed 3/4 of the way on and the second to act as a jam nut. You can even get fancy and weld the whole thing together.
crazymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymurph View Post
Are you talking about a tool for the 1/4" drive pins? I use a piece of 3/8" all thread with 2 nuts on the end. The first nut screwed 3/4 of the way on and the second to act as a jam nut. You can even get fancy and weld the whole thing together.
exactly what i been using . running 3/4 emt & rigid in the jail we been working on. 2-hole straps every 5' and 12" of box or ANY bend. not to hijack but do any of you guys know a mfg'er that makes 3/4 2-hole straps with a factory 1/4 " holes ?? have had to drill out 1000's of them lately.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Malco:

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #7

that aint it. i think the one the OP is wanting has a guard on it. ( to keep from hitting hand. )
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,284

I have them made. take a piece of 1/2" rod about 12"long and a 1/4"x2 pipe nipple.
Had a welder weld the pipe nipple on the side of the rod flush with the end. You want to chase the nipple with a bit that is slightly larger than 1/4" to clear the head ot the Zmac.
Anouther thing is you can substitute a 5/16" nut for the nipple it works equally well.
A 3rd is take long 3/8" bolt 6" or longer a 3/8" rod coupeling and a 3/8 nut for a jam nut Screw the jam nut and rod coupeling on the long bolt.
When you use the tool start with the rod coupeling down set the anchor then reverse the tool to drive the pin down. You can reverse dimple the head of the bolt so it will stick to the center pin of the anchor better.
LC
Lone Crapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d. View Post
that aint it. i think the one the OP is wanting has a guard on it. ( to keep from hitting hand. )
Oh, that orange one? Remington Strike Set. Most Lowe's stores have them.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

thanks guys...I knew this wouldn't be impossible to find but asking around hadn't yielded any results as of yet besides the usual "I got this a dozen years ago, haven't seen them for a long time."
heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

For the life of me, I can't figure out what type of set tool you are looking for.

Everyone is talking about how they made their own tool for this, but I just can't imagine what type of anchor it is.

Is it the type of tool to set steel anchors, sometimes called drop-ins or bang-ins?

NewBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
Buy American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBack View Post
For the life of me, I can't figure out what type of set tool you are looking for.

Everyone is talking about how they made their own tool for this, but I just can't imagine what type of anchor it is.

Is it the type of tool to set steel anchors, sometimes called drop-ins or bang-ins?

try heretrufast.com/zamachtml
crazymurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymurph View Post
links dead

Edited, I found it.

We just call those hit pins. I never knew there was a set tool, I just always smacked then in with a hammer.

Last edited by NewBack; 09-23-2009 at 09:45 PM.
NewBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #14

I normally just click my hammer drill to chisel and drive it in with the 1/4" drill bit.
Selectric is offline   Reply With Quote