13.8kv stress cones - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kadenselect

Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default 13.8kv stress cones

Here's the install of 13.8KV @ source. Here's the thing... I don't have a complete understanding of each component of this cable.
We have the porcealen mount, lugs to cable, the stress cone to elevate the immense flux which is made of this grey putty I don't know its composition. Then I do and don't know exactly which each layers job is so any explanation would be fantastic!

We have the outer jacket, the stranded grounds, the semiconductor, the dielectric, a layer under it and the conductor.
Attached Thumbnails
13.8kv stress cones-image_1474203304293.jpg   13.8kv stress cones-image_1474203345619.jpg   13.8kv stress cones-image_1474206323398.jpg  
360max likes this.
Kadenselect is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kadenselect For This Useful Post:
360max (12-01-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,052

Here's a pretty good write-up of all the components..
http://www.openelectrical.org/wiki/i...e_Construction
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

The point where the shield terminates puts a whole lot of focused stress in the cable because there is a huge difference in capacitance between the shielded and unshielded sections of cable and this occurres over a very short length.

The idea is to reduce the stress on that insulation gradually and this is what the putty or tape-buildup in a stress cone do. Very often the material is a semiconductor that gradually dissipates the lines of electric stress across its length.

You guys gonna ground your shields, though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
sparky970 (11-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

Yes! At the switch gear end. Could you explain why only the switch gear end? The picture is of the peckerhead I terminated, and in it we isolated each run using mica board. Then switch gear side we braided the grounds. Thank you for the write up I was hoping for this kind of an answer. And I appreciate the link as well very good information!
Kadenselect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadenselect View Post
Yes! At the switch gear end. Could you explain why only the switch gear end...?
The only time I see that done is when the cable shielding is not suitable to carry the current that may flow during a ground-fault. In those cases only one end of the shield is grounded because this still allows the shield to create uniform stress control on the cable insulation without completing a circuit.

My concern is that you still need a fault clearing path, and this would be in the form of a separate equipment grounding conductor pulled with the cables, but I don't see that in your photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
Vacated

Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadenselect View Post
Yes! At the switch gear end. Could you explain why only the switch gear end? The picture is of the peckerhead I terminated, and in it we isolated each run using mica board. Then switch gear side we braided the grounds. Thank you for the write up I was hoping for this kind of an answer. And I appreciate the link as well very good information!
if your not grounding those braids tape them up. engineers sometimes only want you to ground one end to reduces recirculating currents on ground paths, usually this is desired where cathodic protection is being used in the vicinity. it's best for the cable and safety to ground both ends. my source of information on this is okonite engineering design book. yeah and wheres your ground?
Wiresmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 46

That looks an awful lot like concentric neutral on that cable. Depending on the rating of the shield wires, they may serve as the ground.
McDaniel8402 is offline   Reply With Quote