3 phase transformer for 1 phase power - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By dronai
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By VELOCI3
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By micromind
  • 3 Post By JRaef

Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 63
Default 3 phase transformer for 1 phase power

Any body out there recommend using a 480 3 phase transformer for 1 phase lighting loads. I Have a customer who wants to use a three phase transformer to supply a 240/120 1 phase panel board. Iv'e always used a single phase transformer for this. I guess it's possible but is it correct, efficient and safe?
myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 26,904

No.

It's stupid.
micromind and emtnut like this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
No.

It's stupid.
Why ?

480/120/208V
VELOCI3 likes this.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #4

You end up with chronic circulating losses. That power bill adds up.

What a climate crime!

If you're going with a 3-phase transformer -- set a 3-phase panel.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 63

I could not make any sense out of it either. Business owner says he has friends telling him it will work. So at the risk of losing the job I suggested he should have his friend install it. A three phase panel is not an option these are existing panels on a single phase feed that is going to be replaced be three phase 480/277.
myenergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 338

I had a customer over a period of 50 years. He has died now. He was obsessed with auctions, or he'd always cruise around raiding construction dumpsters.

Always had a three phase 600 Volt industrial panel to install in his dairy barn. He never could understand why it wasn't good enough. It usually ended in me refusing to install.

Nothing unusual about a three phase transformer reducing voltage to 240/120 or 208/120 for single phase loads.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by myenergy View Post
I could not make any sense out of it either. Business owner says he has friends telling him it will work. So at the risk of losing the job I suggested he should have his friend install it. A three phase panel is not an option these are existing panels on a single phase feed that is going to be replaced be three phase 480/277.

Huh
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,414

If it's my design, a single phase transformer of 10 KVA or below is ok but if it's 15 KVA or higher, it'll be 3Ø.
gpop likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 118

Just use a 3ph panel for better load distribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
micromind likes this.
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #10

Lights belong on 277 VAC L-N -- straight up.
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:18 PM   #11
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 3,414

Not only does using 2 legs of a 3Ø Y look like the installer was a complete idiot but it'll be hard on the transformer. They like all 3 currents to be somewhat balanced.

I notices you stated panels......more than 1? If so, then it is perfectly fine to have 2 or more single phase panels on a 3 transformer. Balance the panels among the 3 phases so one leg isn't heavy or light.
telsa likes this.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Not only does using 2 legs of a 3Ø Y look like the installer was a complete idiot but it'll be hard on the transformer. They like all 3 currents to be somewhat balanced.

I notices you stated panels......more than 1? If so, then it is perfectly fine to have 2 or more single phase panels on a 3 transformer. Balance the panels among the 3 phases so one leg isn't heavy or light.

I’ve seen the B to C phase jumper to energize the C phase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by myenergy View Post
WILL work, sure. But as tesla said, you will have the magnetic and hysteresis losses of a 3 phase transformer with the performance of a single phase. Over a relatively short time those extra losses will add up to MORE than what it would cost to just buy a single phase transformer. So he will be paying for the gear once, or paying for the wasted energy forever.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should...
glen1971, telsa and Bird dog like this.