480v Ungrounded Delta - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By ppsh
  • 2 Post By ppsh
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 2 Post By brian john
  • 3 Post By Bird dog

Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 82
Default 480v Ungrounded Delta

Went on a service call today about fluctuating voltages to ground on a 200a 480 feed to a tenants unit in an industrial park. All L-L voltages in the units panel are 486v. Line to ground were around L1, 360v, L2, 270v, L3, 280v.

The 1600a feed in the electrical room measured the same.

Tenant has an electrical engineer employee that claims that its a corner grounded system and the ground goes bad. And only a few months ago it was reading to ground A=0v, B=480v, C=480v.

I did not see any sign of a bonding jumper in the electrical room. All disconnects tapped off of the gutter had all 3 lines fused. There was also a gutter with 3 bulb holders and 3 burned out 250v 15w bulbs on the wall in the electrical room.

That makes me believe that it is indeed designed as an ungrounded delta, as a corner grounded would not have the ground fault lights and wouldn't have fuses on all 3 conductors. Looking at the transformer bank that feeds this part of the building, there is no ground hooked anywhere to the conductors, just bonding the transformer cases together and to the slab rebar.

I have a feeling there was a long standing ground fault somewhere in the system, nobody knew due to burned out ground fault lights, the somebody fixed the fault or demoed out a circuit or feeder that had the fault.

The tenants engineer was not present today, and had just said that the grounding was "faulty" and and that the voltages now are "not referenced to ground properly - a very bad situation".

This 1600a drop feeds ~12 other units in this portion of the building. The place began as an engineered wood product manufacturer in the late 70s, sold mid 2000s, and is now leased industrial spaces. This tenant appears to have various wood sawing / planing /sanding machines and conveyors, so they obviously have VFDs.

What is the best method of remedying the situation if they won't use the ungrounded 480? Changing to corner grounded would not exactly be fun having to make solid grounded conductors at every fused disconnect in the place. I am thinking of putting in a ground fault detector with audible alarm at the service, and setting a 150kva 480 delta-wye xfmr in their unit to feed their panelboard.

There is a second 1200a service that feeds the other half of the facility, and part of their unit, that somebody had converted from ungrounded to corner grounded, and left all 3 phases fused.
splatz likes this.

Last edited by ppsh; 01-14-2019 at 11:38 PM.
ppsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25,344

Ungrounded delta Services are RARE. The Pocos pretty much hate them.

Left unsaid: what exactly is being powered?

Paper mill/ lumber mill -- what?

THAT'S a HUGE signal as to whether the Service was and is 3-phase delta.

The average EUSERC firm is just not going to get an ungrounded Service.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Ungrounded delta Services are RARE. The Pocos pretty much hate them.

Left unsaid: what exactly is being powered?

Paper mill/ lumber mill -- what?

THAT'S a HUGE signal as to whether the Service was and is 3-phase delta.

The average EUSERC firm is just not going to get an ungrounded Service.
Building was originally a sawmill / truss factory. Company sold / went under a few years back, and the facility got divided into units for lease. Tenant in this unit makes custom trim, siding, and such from exotic woods. Various sanding / planing lines, likely chock full of VFDs.

Power company supplies 3ph 13kv overhead, goes thru a CT metering setup at the road then to customer owned lines the rest of the facility.

I know for a fact it is a 3ph delta drop to this electrical room, I can see the the bussing on top of the transformers connected in delta. I just don't seem to believe that it is corner grounded like they are telling me, I think there was a long existing fault on one leg that nobody knew about, and made them think it was corner grounded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,344

My hunch is that you've nailed it.

A corner grounded system would be obvious.

An ungrounded system ought to have indicator lamps.

What's the story with them?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
My hunch is that you've nailed it.

A corner grounded system would be obvious.

An ungrounded system ought to have indicator lamps.

What's the story with them?
Lamps are inside a locked electrical room where they are never seen, all 3 were burned out, disconnect that it was tapped off of didn't appear to have power either.

Planning on installing a premade 3r unit with a siren on the outside of the electrical room.
circuitman1 and telsa like this.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,788

I think your theory makes sense - they are mistaking a ground fault for a corner ground.

Would it possible the ground fault is intermittent, sometimes it's a dead short to ground and you see A-G = 0V, other times it's a high impedance fault and you see A-G = who knows what voltage?
brian john and ppsh like this.

Last edited by splatz; 01-15-2019 at 06:33 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 640

The utility transformer would likely also be grounded if this is a corner grounded system. Can you see any evidence for that?

Sounds a lot like an ungrounded system.
splatz likes this.
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
The utility transformer would likely also be grounded if this is a corner grounded system. Can you see any evidence for that?

Sounds a lot like an ungrounded system.
The presence of the ground fault lights makes it a sure bet it was ungrounded at some point - I don't know what else they could be, you could verify that's what they are.

If someone intentionally corner grounded it, it sounds like it wasn't done by the numbers, is it possible that the utility transformer would remain ungrounded?
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,266

Quote:
i think your theory makes sense - they are mistaking a ground fault for a corner ground.

Would it possible the ground fault is intermittent, sometimes it's a dead short to ground and you see a-g = 0v, other times it's a high impedance fault and you see a-g = who knows what voltage?

what he said
circuitman1 and splatz like this.
splatz (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 830

Verify the service with the POCO.
circuitman1, telsa and CoolWill like this.