Bolt on Panel conversion - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 6 Post By MDShunk
  • 1 Post By Dauphin

Old 10-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default Bolt on Panel conversion

Does anyone know if Schneider Electric makes a part to change a QOB buss bar to QO bar?
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,276

OK, I gotta ask what would make you ever want to do that?
Bird dog likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
OK, I gotta ask what would make you ever want to do that?
To be able to change out breakers from the buss without unscrewing from the buss bar. I thought they made an adapter that screws in to the buss bar to make it accept QO breakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

They make an adapter to put QO breakers in an I-Line panel. Most QOB panels are actually QOD panels (QO-dual), and they'll take either bolt-on or plug-on breakers. The only part to convert a straight QOB panel to a QO panel is called a new panel interior. I think doing so, and the motivations for such, are extremely unwise and ill-advised.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 404

Think safety!!! You are going backwards and looking to work hot. Them days are gone, even just pushing a breaker into a hot panel is not a good practice anymore.

You list yourself as industrial, think that way bigger boom.

Good luck
Cowboy
Old 10-03-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

The panels I’m working with now are NTFB 44235 electrical panels with bolt on fused breakers. I’m looking to upgrade all 25 panels with QO breakers. I’m not interested in working on live circuits but the nature of my work, being able to change out breakers more quickly is a big plus. I did buy a NQ442L2C however this panel interior did not fit with the way it was originally wired. I was looking for other ideas to be able to convert them all to QO breakers.

More notes these fused breakers are failing. The plastic is brittle and the internals of them are heating up probably due to their age.
just the cowboy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dauphin For This Useful Post:
just the cowboy (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

The old NTFB panelboards have ordinary QOB bus fingers. I'm confused as hell why you insist on wanting to change to QO breakers. That's going backwards with no benefit other than satisfying your hard head. You actually had an NQOD/NQ panelboard interior and were's savvy enough to install it. Maybe you're not cut out for this electrician thing? Although I've never tried to convert a QOB panel to a QOD panel, I'd imagine the SKNQOD225 kits are what you'd need. They're the renewal kit for burned up bus fingers in an NQOD panel. They might actually work on QOB busing. I have no idea, though.

Last edited by MDShunk; 10-03-2018 at 08:49 AM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 404
Default Think duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post

More notes these fused breakers are failing. The plastic is brittle and the internals of them are heating up probably due to their age.

This is one reason to stay with bolt-on, in my opinion QO are for homes, bolt on for industry because of the continuous load and heating.

Cowboy
Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
The old NTFB panelboards have ordinary QOB bus fingers. I'm confused as hell why you insist on wanting to change to QO breakers. That's going backwards with no benefit other than satisfying your hard head. You actually had an NQOD/NQ panelboard interior and were's savvy enough to install it. Maybe you're not cut out for this electrician thing? Although I've never tried to convert a QOB panel to a QOD panel, I'd imagine the SKNQOD225 kits are what you'd need. They're the renewal kit for burned up bus fingers in an NQOD panel. They might actually work on QOB busing. I have no idea, though.
Thats what i was looking for. Thanks Mr. MDSkunk
Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

I have been in this a long time. I have seen fused breakers exactly twice.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I have been in this a long time. I have seen fused breakers exactly twice.
Well almost every panel where i am has fused breakers. These panels are from when the building was constructed in the 70's. Im going to go panel by panel and change them to QO style if this part works out.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 25,866

That's just crazy.

QOB !
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Well almost every panel where i am has fused breakers. These panels are from when the building was constructed in the 70's. Im going to go panel by panel and change them to QO style if this part works out.
That is a thermal magnetic breaker not fused.
If you change out those QOB's to QO you should be fired.
There are a lot of good electricians on here and not one of them thinks that is a good idea.

I am starting to think thins is a troll thread.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,058

A panel from the '70's would be QOB only, since they were only slightly different then the '60's panels, even if they could use QO, plug-in, QOB,bolt-on breakers are still the better choice.
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
qo power panel, qob