City of Los Angeles electrical mechanic performance test???? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree5Likes

Old 09-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Default City of Los Angeles electrical mechanic performance test????

I recently applied to the city of la electrical mechanic position 3841. I have already passed the written exam and passed now I have to take the performance test. Wondering if anyone knows what that test consist of so I better prepare myself. The test is this Saturday. Any help would be appreciated.
jedimast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Hey how's it going. I searched 3841 and it lead me to your post. I have the written test coming up this Saturday and I'm currently in class for the electrical craft helper class here at the dwp as I write this. I was wondering if you remembered what exactly do they test you on for the electrical mechanic 3841 position. I've been reviewing just about everything but if I could narrow it down that would be awsome. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.
Herfavnumbertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

City job? It'll be a test to see how many doughnuts you can eat
glen1971, Tonedeaf and splatz like this.
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1124 View Post
City job? It'll be a test to see how many doughnuts you can eat
I resemble that remark! (retired LADWP).

Quite often Lineman apprentices with two years experience at DWP apply for Electrical Mechanic. Mostly, perform construction and maintenance of major electrical assets in a Substation (up to 1 million volts DC, 500kV AC).

I'll try to find out more about the practical exam, but you better have good balance to climb ladders, reach out to wipe insulators, you know very physical stuff. Do you think you can disassemble a 230kV bus 50 ft up in the air, things like that.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggratecc View Post
I resemble that remark! (retired LADWP).

Quite often Lineman apprentices with two years experience at DWP apply for Electrical Mechanic. Mostly, perform construction and maintenance of major electrical assets in a Substation (up to 1 million volts DC, 500kV AC).

I'll try to find out more about the practical exam, but you better have good balance to climb ladders, reach out to wipe insulators, you know very physical stuff. Do you think you can disassemble a 230kV bus 50 ft up in the air, things like that.
We won't hold it against you.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimast5 View Post
I recently applied to the city of la electrical mechanic position 3841. I have already passed the written exam and passed now I have to take the performance test. Wondering if anyone knows what that test consist of so I better prepare myself. The test is this Saturday. Any help would be appreciated.
By now you have had the performance test...however I talked to someone at work who took this performance test. One thing they do is put you in a confined space such as a substation CB tank (emptied of oil).
Also, may ask you climb a ladder and tie a knot at the top.
Then donuts to celebrate!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,438

Quote:
By now you have had the performance test...however I talked to someone at work who took this performance test. One thing they do is put you in a confined space such as a substation CB tank (emptied of oil).
We knew it!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfavnumbertwo View Post
Hey how's it going. I searched 3841 and it lead me to your post. I have the written test coming up this Saturday and I'm currently in class for the electrical craft helper class here at the dwp as I write this. I was wondering if you remembered what exactly do they test you on for the electrical mechanic 3841 position. I've been reviewing just about everything but if I could narrow it down that would be awsome. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.
Perhaps you don't need this info anymore if you passed the test...I just talked with a coworker who did the electrical mechanic job for years.
He recommends you take one of the Military Training courses for Mechanical Aptitude, such as:
https://www.jobtestprep.com/mechanical-aptitude-test

The written exam may include gears, pulleys/levers, math and reading voltmeter scales correctly.

The practical may also include carrying heavy portable grounds and identifying tools.
best luck to you guys!
Old 01-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Hi there, You seem to have a lot of knowledge about the LADWP and I was wondering if you could tell me more about their apprenticeship. I am currently an apprentice at another local but was interested in LADWP/Local 18. I just can't seem to find information on how to apply. Do you have to start as a craft helper? I've called Local 18 and DWP and everyone seems to give me vastly different answers. The girl at local 18 said they don't even have an apprenticeship. I have a few years experience so ideally I could apply to be an apprentice vs a craft helper. I also don't know if you can switch locals as an apprentice or if i need to wait to be a journeyman. Any advice would be great. Thanks man!
joeselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeselectric View Post
Hi there, You seem to have a lot of knowledge about the LADWP and I was wondering if you could tell me more about their apprenticeship. I am currently an apprentice at another local but was interested in LADWP/Local 18. I just can't seem to find information on how to apply. Do you have to start as a craft helper? I've called Local 18 and DWP and everyone seems to give me vastly different answers. The girl at local 18 said they don't even have an apprenticeship. I have a few years experience so ideally I could apply to be an apprentice vs a craft helper. I also don't know if you can switch locals as an apprentice or if i need to wait to be a journeyman. Any advice would be great. Thanks man!
Here is the link to the City of LA jobs (LADWP only hires through the city portal) which is:
https://www.lacity.org/find-jobs/lat...-opportunities
Then scroll down until you find: Electric Distribution Mechanic (3879);
this is the Lineman Apprentice Job!
The requirements are pretty stiff to apply, I recommend you complete your current apprenticeship first.
You don't have to start as a craft helper, however I recommend you apply for that job also.
joeselectric (01-29-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,367

Quote:
Don't forget the "Sky-hook" operator, and "steam bucket" carrying challenge.
glen1971 likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Here is the link to the City of LA jobs (LADWP only hires through the city portal) which is:
Then scroll down until you find: Electric Distribution Mechanic (3879);
this is the Lineman Apprentice Job!
The requirements are pretty stiff to apply, I recommend you complete your current apprenticeship first.
You don't have to start as a craft helper, however I recommend you apply for that job also.
Thank you so much. A few follow-up questions:

1. So if I finish the Local 11 apprenticeship, can I apply as a journeyman to Local 18/LADWP via those job postings you sent or do I have to start as an apprentice? Essentially will I have to do two separate apprenticeships?

2. Is the Electrician Mechanic Apprenticeship through Local 18 or directly through LADWP? (I should clarify that I am interested in the Electrician Mechanic position, not the Electrician Distribution Mechanic (Lineman) route.

3. Are there any issues switching from Local 11 to Local 18 either as an apprentice or as a journeyman. I know the union frowns on training you and then having you go private or on your own, but are you allowed to switch from local to local? I definitely don't want to jeopardize my standing with the IBEW.

Thank you man! I'm willing to do whatever it takes but I want to do it right.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 861

You don't have to start as a LADWP Craft Helper. You can qualify by the other means listed on the website. The LADWP Electrical Craft Helper is a career path for kids out of high school to get enough training to enter the LADWP Electrical Distribution Mechanic position. If you did well in the program you will have no problem with the test. If you are not in the program you will have to know basic electrical theory, technical math, and have good mechanical aptitude. Damn good job.
ggratecc likes this.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaultCurrent View Post
You don't have to start as a LADWP Craft Helper. You can qualify by the other means listed on the website. The LADWP Electrical Craft Helper is a career path for kids out of high school to get enough training to enter the LADWP Electrical Distribution Mechanic position. If you did well in the program you will have no problem with the test. If you are not in the program you will have to know basic electrical theory, technical math, and have good mechanical aptitude. Damn good job.
I agree with FaultCurrent,
you can also come in as a Utility pre-craft trainee , although you are probably way ahead in knowledge. http://www.lacityview.org/programs/l...aining-program

My son got into EDM trainee by: graduated from LA trade Tech college in Electrical Construction, then got his climbing certificate!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #15

Hi,

I've been doing more research on the best way to get into LA DWP and I've heard its best to apply as an exempt employee and once I get in then apply for the electrical mechanic route. Has anyone heard of this? I would have to leave my current union apprenticeship in order to do any of this so I want to make sure I do this the right way.

Thank you for any advice.

Joe
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi,

I've been doing more research on the best way to get into LA DWP and I've heard its best to apply as an exempt employee and once I get in then apply for the electrical mechanic route. Has anyone heard of this? I would have to leave my current union apprenticeship in order to do any of this so I want to make sure I do this the right way.

Thank you for any advice.

Joe
Joe, I hesitate to give you advice on this one, however I do know we have many exempt employees doing electrical mechanic work in substations and other facilities. I'm pretty sure if you get two years experience doing this exempt job, then you can apply for EM (regular employee). We seem to always be hiring electrical workers of various classes. This is a great job but an even better career with great benefits.
City of Los Angeles personnel dept does the initial application process which means you have to have a clean record, etc.
good luck
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #17

I have also passed my written test. I have my assessment test this weekend. Anyone know what to expect? Thanks in advance!
Electrician805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Joe, I hesitate to give you advice on this one, however I do know we have many exempt employees doing electrical mechanic work in substations and other facilities. I'm pretty sure if you get two years experience doing this exempt job, then you can apply for EM (regular employee). We seem to always be hiring electrical workers of various classes. This is a great job but an even better career with great benefits.
City of Los Angeles personnel dept does the initial application process which means you have to have a clean record, etc.
good luck

Thank you for the insight. Do you if it specifically has to be an electrician type excempt job? Are those the helper roles? What do you mean by clean record.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Thank you for the insight. Do you if it specifically has to be an electrician type excempt job? Are those the helper roles? What do you mean by clean record.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
A helper role would be Utility pre-craft trainee,Electrical Craft Helper or Electrician, these are not exempt roles.

I am working as a contractor/consultant employee at DWP right now ( I am not considered exempt, because I am an employee of a subcontractor).
I asked around and we do have one Exempt Employee hired in through this Electrical Mechanic position (I believe he had much experience that qualified him for this position).

As far as clean record, City of Los Angeles can disqualify you for conviction of criminal offense. They also look at your application for any missing time periods where you weren't in school, training or working, and can claim you are delinquent! so don't leave any time frames empty.

good luck
Old 03-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician805 View Post
I have also passed my written test. I have my assessment test this weekend. Anyone know what to expect? Thanks in advance!
Which job name? EDM or EM?

Either way you better know tools and their names.
Can you climb a ladder and tie a knot?
Enter enclosed environments.