Extended device pigtails on equipment - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 460 Delta
  • 1 Post By Bird dog
  • 1 Post By Gnome
  • 3 Post By 460 Delta

Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 215
Default Extended device pigtails on equipment

I have a large job here that involves ingredient distribution through process piping, etc

The equipment is coming with devices attached and a lot of them have pigtails that are a couple feet long.

The environment entails stainless boxes so I have many small junction boxes in areas where I can pick up multiple devices, but there are still devices a ways out that their pigtails dont reach any local JBs.

Naturally, my PM is a cheapass so Im trying to figure out a cost effective way to extend these cables.

I would usually use a cast zinc rab box, but there is no nema rating on these boxes and a nema 4 rating is required, in addition to the stainless requirements.

Any thoughts or suggestions? In my searching and contact through my supply house, it seems like JBs smaller than 6x6 are not very common, but maybe we arent looking in the right place
Breakfasteatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,430

There are condulets that are rated NEMA 4, would that work?

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...letbodies.html
Old 05-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 968

Like Splatz says, you can make up connections in a conduit fitting, I do it for solenoid air valves often. You may need to upsize your condulet fitting though.
active1 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,230

The master electrician I trained under considered a conduit body with a cubic inch mark as a small junction box as long as you followed the rules concerning the cubic inch capacity of the fitting.

Still better to ask then having to do rework on a new install (no idea what type of conduit you are installing but if its ridged it probably wont be a problem)
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
The master electrician I trained under considered a conduit body with a cubic inch mark as a small junction box as long as you followed the rules concerning the cubic inch capacity of the fitting.

Still better to ask then having to do rework on a new install (no idea what type of conduit you are installing but if its ridged it probably wont be a problem)
Have you ever done those calcs? Usually better off setting a box and flexing into it.
splatz likes this.

Last edited by Bird dog; 05-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Have you ever done those calcs? Usually better off setting a box and flexing into it.

Depends on the job. Installing a 6x4x4 stainless box for every low voltage analog sensor or prox switch connection is a great idea as it makes upgrading easier in the future. Its just expensive (t&m) and look a little odd.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,966

This might be smaller, but, not sure.

p/n EJ443SS
http://www.newark.com/hammond/ej1614...nel/dp/50H3918

Last edited by Bird dog; 05-24-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 12
Default Extended device pigtails on equipment

I got this box last week ej 6x6x4ss. rexel had it in stock for 120$ they have smaller sizes also. But like other have said if they want to be cheap conduit fitting with cubic inches marked can be spliced in. I prefer a t and a bell box with a wp cover. But if area is corrosive they donít last long.
https://www.hammfg.com/part/EJ664SS?referer=109

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ctsparky93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 759

Hoffman makes 4x4x3 clamp cover Nema 3R, 4, 4X, 12, 13 boxes in stainless. Warning though that because the 4x4 dimensions are outside and the flange subtracts from that they are a bit of a bitch to work in. I'm betting they aren't cheap (and in some cases a 6x6 is cheaper than the 4x4).

Cooper (Crouse-Hinds) makes a FD style box in stainless. Better looking and a bit easier to mount in many cases but I'd bet even more than a 4x4. Plus it's hubbed so you don't have to mess around with sealing rings etc. if using rigid.
splatz likes this.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Like Splatz says, you can make up connections in a conduit fitting, I do it for solenoid air valves often. You may need to upsize your condulet fitting though.
That's what I have done for solenoid valves and such. Just screw a C condulet on it and splice the small wires in that.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
That's what I have done for solenoid valves and such. Just screw a C condulet on it and splice the small wires in that.
The secret is using a fitting one size larger and using a threaded bushing to reduce it down. That little bit makes a difference.
splatz, Bird dog and gpop like this.
460 Delta is offline   Reply With Quote