Favorite brands - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By 460 Delta
  • 4 Post By Cow
  • 3 Post By JRaef
  • 1 Post By 460 Delta
  • 4 Post By micromind

Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 964
Default Favorite brands

As much as the industry uses drives and soft starts, there are a huge amount of simple starters installed daily. If it was your decision alone, what brand would you buy?
We can have two categories, IEC and NEMA.
JoeSparky likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 PM   #2
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

AB 509's.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #3

I’m getting fond of the Furnas/Siemens Innova.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
I’m getting fond of the Furnas/Siemens Innova.
Cant complain about Siemens.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Peewee0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,106

Furnas did their level best to copy the A-B starters back when they released it. Originally they called it the "Innova 45", because to get around the A-B patent for a Vertical Lift Gravity Dropout (VLGD) design, they angled theirs at 45 degrees off vertical, hence Innova 45. I was with Furnas at the time, most of us were embarrassed about it (copying someone else and tweaking it just enough to avoid a lawsuit)...

Furnas did innovate when they released the ESP100 OL relay however. Other people had SSOLs, but Furnas were the first to have one that was self powered, as opposed to needing another separate power input, which could render the SSOL non-functional if it lost power and not trip. Now almost everyone has adopted that concept.

To me, all IEC contactors from the major players are virtually the same. Their need for interchangeability in the type of crowded control panels that they build makes it so that anything different or better gets suppressed by the market. To me it comes down to which local supplier has the best inventory.
tmessner, 460 Delta and joe-nwt like this.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,752

Wadsworth, Zinsco, FPE, Trumbull, Challenger, General Switch, Frank Adams, and Colt are some of my favorites.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

Who here likes AB 100-C? I can say I've seen these welded closed more than any other.

Peewee0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Wadsworth, Zinsco, FPE, Trumbull, Challenger, General Switch, Frank Adams, and Colt are some of my favorites.
Where's your love for Bulldog Electric and EC&M?
MTW likes this.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee0413 View Post
Who here likes AB 100-C? I can say I've seen these welded closed more than any other.

I like them.

But, we do oversize them. I've used a boatload of them for lighting contactors.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #10
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
AB 509's.
Same here; these are pretty much bullet-proof. I've seen them take pretty horrible abuse and keep on working. Like the size 2 (25 HP max) that has been starting and stopping a 40 HP conveyer motor 3-5 times a day for at least 30 years.........

I also like their little brothers, the 609s. These are the manual version of the 509s. I just installed 2 of them today.

I ran 2 - 15 amp 208 3Ø circuits to a pair of 2 HP condensate pumps that were factory mounted on a tank and had 2 pole float switches as controllers. I mounted the 609s on a nearby post and used them for the lockable disconnecting means and motor O/L.

Yes. a bit more $$$ than the IEC ones but this plant likes NEMA stuff.

I used to have an intense dislike for anything IEC but have warmed up to it a bit over the years. I will use it for small motors but always oversize the contactors. I stock several motor protection circuit breakers (disconnecting means, short-circuit and ground-fault protection and motor O/L in one unit) on my van. I like the Allen Bradley 140M-C series and 100-K contractors.

For small single phase motors without integral O/Ls, I like the Square D 2510 starters. They come in single and 2 pole versions and have 1 heater. They can be purchased with an enclosure or mounted on a single switch industrial cover. I also like their 3 pole (no O/L) switches, I use these often for the disconnecting means for small 3Ø motors.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #11
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 508

Big fan of Woodford Reserve, but tonight its Four Roses.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

[QUOTE=JRaef;5241894]Furnas did their level best to copy the A-B starters back when they released it. Originally they called it the "Innova 45", because to get around the A-B patent for a Vertical Lift Gravity Dropout (VLGD) design, they angled theirs at 45 degrees off vertical, hence Innova 45. I was with Furnas at the time, most of us were embarrassed about it (copying someone else and tweaking it just enough to avoid a lawsuit)

How can AB patent VLGD? Sq.D used it on the old 8500 series [I think that's the right number] starters which ran concurrent with the AB 709's. If there was a patent issue, I think they would have slugged it out first with a big player like Sq D and not a small player like Furnas.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
How can AB patent VLGD? Sq.D used it on the old 8500 series [I think that's the right number] starters which ran concurrent with the AB 709's. If there was a patent issue, I think they would have slugged it out first with a big player like Sq D and not a small player like Furnas.
The Square D 8502/8536 are different, they use what's called a "Bell Crank" mechanism, basically a lever that is assisted by gravity, but the armature operates horizontally, so it needs springs to make it all work. What A-B patented (originally on the 709 and re-issued on the 509) was a single component armature system, a coil + gravity; no springs, no levers, no other moving parts.

PS:
Or maybe you are thinking of the old 8903 lighting contactors? Those were vertically operated, but they also still used a bell crank lever system because of their making it capable of up to 20 poles.

Last edited by JRaef; 09-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
JRaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #14

I have these in my RPC at home, the genesis of these I don’t know, these things just find me. The armature and contact yoke lift in a purely vertical manner. There is a strap on the bottom with a pivot to keep the armature in a vertical fashion and in alignment.
Attached Thumbnails
Favorite brands-5d6722f6-c1a1-4e66-b1d6-f6d0580f4692_1568936574237.jpg  

Favorite brands-e19e7a51-d0f9-4682-8306-3a94f0aa5e11_1568936622222.jpg  

Favorite brands-f8eab2ad-959a-4ce7-8554-74d2f16687c9_1568936700515.jpg