Generac transformer control transformer troubleshoot - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rora

Old 03-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,662
Default Generac transformer control transformer troubleshoot

Had a good one the other day. So the boss sends me to change out a control transformer in a Generac industrial transfer switch for a pump station, 480 volt primary, 240 secondary. There are two transformers, one one normal power and the other for generator power. The original normal power transformer burned out in spectacular fashion. There is no primary or secondary OCPD for these, they are tapped right off the incoming 200 amp feeders, and the control circuit has no OCPD whatsoever either

I tell the boss "This burned out for a reason, you know. There is something wrong in the control circuit." "Change it out anyway, see what happens." So I do. I replace it and fire it back up, all is well.

I then put the transfer switch back in automatic mode, throw the main, and the generator starts as it should. Immediately a horrible noise starts coming from the transfer switch and I know what is happening. Within a few seconds the transformer dies with a very loud bang and cloud of smoke inside the pump house, however, it's not the one I just replaced but rather the emergency power transformer.

So my question is why did the normal power one not die when I put the normal power back on? Did it have something to do with keeping it in manual mode instead of automatic? Once I switched it back to auto mode and threw the main to test it, the carnage began. I'm guessing the problem is likely a bad transfer solenoid.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 AM   #2
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 1,028

I don't work on the industrial ones, but wondering if there was a bad limit switch within the transfer mechanism, or like you say shorted solenoid. Tough without a wiring diagram to see how its wired.
nrp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 700

The real question is whether the primary transformer would blow up again in automatic mode once it has online power.

Assuming it was in automatic mode during the first failure--the primary blew up while in automatic, the emergency blew up while in automatic, but the primary did not while in manual. Would need schematics to say if this is a valid theory, but it seems the only explanation is that the source of over-current must be somewhere in the automatic power delivery before the load... something that manual mode is bypassing.
MTW likes this.