Hermetically sealed or class I div 2 fuse required - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Hermetically sealed or class I div 2 fuse required

All,

Good afternoon. I'm designing a 24vdc distribution jct. box using a Hoffman type 4X, fiberglass enclosure in a class I div. 2 area. I have 20, fused terminals, 1 amp (+) and 20 terminals (-). The plant told me that I could not the Cooper 5X20 fuse because fuses do not meet the area class. Does anybody know where I can find a hermetically sealed or class I div. 2 rated fuse? I sure would appreciate it. Currently designed with Weidmuller type "WSI 4/LD 60-150V AC/DC" terminal with Weidmuller type "G 20/1.00A/F" fuse.

Thank you,
David

Last edited by notredave; 04-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
notredave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 416

Are the terminals rated for class1 div2?
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/asset.../3465_en_A.pdf
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,449

You need to find something sand filled. The plant should tell you what to buy not what not to buy.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,680

If they are installed in an enclosure rated for the area classification, you can use a regular fuse. But that will be a really expensive can.

According to the article below from Bussman, with a regular enclosure, you can use non-indicating, filled, current-limiting fuses.

From http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...iv-2-fuses.pdf

Quote:
Fuses for the protection of motors, appliances, and lamps installed in general
purpose enclosures must also meet one of the following:
a) They are non-indicating, filled and current-limiting type. Bussmann offers
many fuses that meet the criteria for non-indicating, filled, current-limiting
type (See Note 1 and Note 2)
b) They are the type in which the element is immersed in oil or other approved
liquid. Bussmann does not offer this type of product.
c) The element is hermetically sealed against gases and vapors. Bussmann
does not offer hermetically sealed fuses for this type of
application.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bus-ele-an-3186-class-1-div-2-fuses.pdf (232.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by splatz; 04-18-2019 at 05:07 PM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
If they are installed in an enclosure rated for the area classification, you can use a regular fuse. But that will be a really expensive can.

According to the article below from Bussman, with a regular enclosure, you can use non-indicating, filled, current-limiting fuses.

From http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...iv-2-fuses.pdf
I gotta disagree.. Speaking from the land of the CEC, a gasketed Junction Box is approved for Zone 2. A glass filled fuse is not approved in that area.. We'd have to use sand filled or ceramic fuses..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by notredave View Post
All,

Good afternoon. I'm designing a 24vdc distribution jct. box using a Hoffman type 4X, fiberglass enclosure in a class I div. 2 area. I have 20, fused terminals, 1 amp (+) and 20 terminals (-). The plant told me that I could not the Cooper 5X20 fuse because fuses do not meet the area class. Does anybody know where I can find a hermetically sealed or class I div. 2 rated fuse? I sure would appreciate it. Currently designed with Weidmuller type "WSI 4/LD 60-150V AC/DC" terminal with Weidmuller type "G 20/1.00A/F" fuse.

Thank you,
David
I'd steer clear of the LED indicating ones.. They SUCK! They often let enough leakage current through mess with some electronics. I don't believe they are approved in a classified area..

As for fuses, use sand filled or ceramic. In addition to the ones that Splatz posted, here are some more..
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...onicfuses.html
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote