Oilfield wireman - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By HertzHound
  • 1 Post By gnuuser
  • 2 Post By gnuuser
  • 1 Post By Rora
  • 1 Post By Peewee0413

Old 03-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
Default Oilfield wireman

Hey everyone, I have got a pretty good new gig as an oilfield electrical trainee. Good pay, great bennies, and more in the direction I want to go. I will be doing lots of pipe work and some instrumentation. My question is “what should I expect, what would my employer expect of me, and what tools would I need to bring?” Any info is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,237

A couple of pipe wrenches. That should do it.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

Bring some sun block.

There used to be a long thread with lots of pictures. “Life of an oilfield electrician”.

I just searched for it but couldn’t find it. So for everyone that always says “search the back threads”, the search here always sucks. I never have any luck finding something specific. Now if I search “IBTL”, or “thanks for posting on electricians talk” I can probably read for days.

That post might have been a sticky. I searched using the enhanced mobile version. I couldn’t search from the full site because they are experiencing severe delays. I can only bare the mobile version at this time.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
Bring some sun block.

There used to be a long thread with lots of pictures. “Life of an oilfield electrician”.

I just searched for it but couldn’t find it. So for everyone that always says “search the back threads”, the search here always sucks. I never have any luck finding something specific. Now if I search “IBTL”, or “thanks for posting on electricians talk” I can probably read for days.

That post might have been a sticky. I searched using the enhanced mobile version. I couldn’t search from the full site because they are experiencing severe delays. I can only bare the mobile version at this time.
I know exactly what you are talking about. It was a great thread with a guy named “robroy” if I remember correctly. I can not find it either that’s why I started this one.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Google found it.

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/t...s/54412?page=1
glen1971 and splatz like this.
Chaz (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 07:07 PM   #6

On the phone it’s 91 pages long.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,259

Got any experience with a Greenlee triple nickle? Everything will be explosion proof, with rigid pipe. Two levels is helpful. You'll probably only be running pipe, the instrumentation guy's will install the devices. Remember, wear your gloves.
The Following User Says Thank You to joebanana For This Useful Post:
Chaz (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #8

@joebanana I have a little, but I do have quite a bit with class 1 div 1 fitting etc.
thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
Sweet! Thank you
Old 03-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,528

you will always have a little oil contamination to contend with so have a few cleaning rags an a good no flash contact cleaner to add to your tool kit.
at this time you are running pipe, but eventually you will be wiring so pay close attention to your journeyman or masters.
learn to inspect your own work carefully and take pride in good work.
and if something doesn't feel safe to you ask questions and get correct answers.
MikeFL likes this.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnuuser For This Useful Post:
Chaz (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
you will always have a little oil contamination to contend with so have a few cleaning rags an a good no flash contact cleaner to add to your tool kit.
I once had a control panel get soaked with hydraulic fluid. Right before quitting time.

I start wiping up with rags and got as much as I could.
Well here comes my idea to use some contact cleaner. What was I thinking? Why did I not read the label? They bought a new brand and no one realized it was flammable. We had been using the CRC brand before. Cheap ****s.
As soon as I pressed the start button it caught on fire.
4 PM on Friday!
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 AM   #12

Lol that’s a great story. I will keep that in mind, thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,528

We used the LPS Noflash good sutff!
has no flash right on the label as part of the name. CRC was also a good one but a bit more expensive.
although you should make sure the power is off before using it!
I watched our engineer get belted pretty hard when he sprayed the fuse block in an mcc panelgee for some strange reason he became very anal about shutting down the power after that!
glen1971 and MikeFL like this.

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2

Good luck.
Just do everything you are told and don't complain.

Cowboy
Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 708

I do I&C in the oilfield and only advice I have is to think twice about bringing your good tools. I have a pretty high end toolbag put together but I tend to keep it tucked away until there's a serious problem, because everything gets used and abused a lot more than in other industries. Most guys who have been doing it for a long time do their best to get by with beater level stuff.
glen1971 likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #16

@Rora Thanks, good to know. I didn’t think about how rough oil fields would be on my tools
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
@Rora Thanks, good to know. I didn’t think about how rough oil fields would be on my tools
I didn't either when I started, but if you can imagine--the environment is rough, dirty, and fast paced, so taking care of tools is a low priority compared to getting things done and a disposable mindset if pretty common. Also, it's not always the most organized environment, so you and the people you work alongside may be poorly equipped... the more you bring personally in terms of quality or quantity, the more likely on average you may be providing (or worse, loaning) tools to get things done, so you only stand to contribute at the expense of your own equipment. I have loaned out my nice Knipex plier wrenches only to have them returned (expect you'll have to go hunt them down, of course) covered in crap too many times.

Obviously you need to bring enough to do what you need to do (you'll figure out what that is with experience) but ideally, not too much more than just enough. Unfortunately, the more prepared you are in terms of quality or quantity tends to just be money out of your pocket vs. allowing you to produce better quality work or work more efficiently (which is the case with most jobs in terms of tools).

Best of luck!

edit: I should mention that I do break-fix maintenance where I work alongside operators, so this may not be as much of an issue for installation or if you work alone.

Last edited by Rora; 03-14-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Rora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #18

@Rora thanks so much! I will be doing construction on a crew of guys so I’d imagine I would have similar results
Old 03-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 254

Oilfield electrician.. ahh, the good ol days.. nice way to make 2500/wk. Lots of butt time and tons of knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
glen1971 likes this.
Peewee0413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, high voltage, instrumentation, oilfield