Paper and lead cable 40 Kv G&W pothead - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By em158

Old 02-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Paper and lead cable 40 Kv G&W pothead

Does anyone have experience building a lead cable to a G&W pothead? Looking for some info on the building of the stress cones and taping of the phases after the stress cone is installed. Our procedure is vague and looking for something thatís up to date.
Tin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,754

Welcome to Electrician Talk.
Thanks for taking the time to fill out your profile.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,865

You weren't planning on hand taping the stress cones, were you? I guess you could, depending on the application, but..............I wouldn't.

https://www.gwelec.com/easy-terminat...-107-l-en.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

The stress cones are pre made and are rolled onto the cable phase. It’s the applying half lapped layers of polyester tape to build up the phases that I’m talking about. Very hard and time consuming. Wondering if anyone else built these with a different taping process or even using barrier tubes and heat shrinking to build?
Tin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #5
Modťrateur

Rewards Points: 16,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin man View Post
The stress cones are pre made and are rolled onto the cable phase. Itís the applying half lapped layers of polyester tape to build up the phases that Iím talking about. Very hard and time consuming. Wondering if anyone else built these with a different taping process or even using barrier tubes and heat shrinking to build?
That is a one way I done and it was a old school methold to do use a lot of tapes to build up but for 40 KV that I havent done that level but 15 KV yuh from time to time I done it but it really eat up your time. ( I go about at least 30+ rolls of it per phase )

I try to order a stresscone in premade and useally come in cold shrink set up they work pretty good but just watch the cleaness on cable if you dont get perfect clean you may get some arc flash if not done right.

Check with your supply house or rep to find out more on the modern cold shrinkwrap to fit on your cable for 40 KV class I think 3M and couple other company do make them
Old 02-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 30

Call a qualified splicer, he won't try to do your job if you don't try to do his. MV terminations are not brain surgery, but they are a skill, and knowledge set that needs to properly learned and practiced to stay proficient.
em158 is offline   Reply With Quote