Self-employed industrial work - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 6 Post By just the cowboy
  • 3 Post By joebanana
  • 1 Post By tmessner
  • 4 Post By just the cowboy

Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
Default Self-employed industrial work

Hey just a thought I wanted to get some thoughts on? Is anyone here self employed doing industrial work and if so, how did you get to that point?
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 08:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 666

I do industrial service work. Not exclusively. But I got several customers because I just answered the phone when they called during an emergency. Others I got through referral. I didn't specifically go looking, but if I were to do that, I suppose I'd start by striking up a conversation with the maintenance heads at various facilities. I have one industrial customer because I gave him some advice at the supply house counter.
MechanicalDVR and Chaz like this.
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolWill For This Useful Post:
Chaz (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25,344

Don't bring up the Libyans.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
I do industrial service work. Not exclusively. But I got several customers because I just answered the phone when they called during an emergency. Others I got through referral. I didn't specifically go looking, but if I were to do that, I suppose I'd start by striking up a conversation with the maintenance heads at various facilities. I have one industrial customer because I gave him some advice at the supply house counter.
Nice! Do you have an industrial background? Or a commercial/resin background?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
Nice! Do you have an industrial background? Or a commercial/resin background?
I started in industrial. Then went commercial/industrial. I've done enough residential along the way to know how. Most of my jobs are commercial and residential service these days. A handful of industrial and agricultural clients.
Chaz likes this.
CoolWill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I started in industrial. Then went commercial/industrial. I've done enough residential along the way to know how. Most of my jobs are commercial and residential service these days. A handful of industrial and agricultural clients.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,532

Up here the safety programs would almost make it impossible to be a one man shop in the industrial world. Then you get the client that wants a job way larger than you can provide and someone else scoops the work..
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 17,458

I've had much the same experience as CoolWill, always meeting maintenance guys from various plants at the Grainger counter when they were trying to come up with parts to make a repair the counter person was at a loss with.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 292

I did many moons ago. I see you are an apprentice, you do not have enough time in to know all you would need to start your own business in controls. It is a great field to get into but it takes years of experience to be able to design and install something.

Your biggest problem would be insurance, since most projects would involve some type of human interaction, and then life safety is involved. This is what caused me to stop doing machine upgrades. There is also errors and omissions insurance in case something you design causes big time lose of production or damage to a machine.

If you enjoy doing this type of work, do it for somebody.

Cowboy
Old 01-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,405

The only one man operations I've come across in the industrial field do consulting work. Mostly in controller programming.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 710

Quote:
Same here. Answer the phone after hours, on weekends. Answer questions when they ask. Be friendly. It helps to have the same birthday of the owner and eat lutefisk together.
CoolWill likes this.
tmessner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #12

@just the cowboy yeah I realize I’ll many years/decades from having a business in control/ instrumentation etc. It is really just a pipe dream for me. Thank you for the insight
Old 01-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 292
Default Don't give up the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
@just the cowboy yeah I realize Iíll many years/decades from having a business in control/ instrumentation etc. It is really just a pipe dream for me. Thank you for the insight

Don't give up the dream. But like I said if you enjoy it get a job in it. You can make almost as much money working for a good company as working for yourself, without all the headaches.
I got into machine upgrades in the 90's when PLC's were on the uptake. Not as much legal issues then, most of the stuff I did has probably been decommissioned by now, but I still worry about the what ifs because I am no longer in business and insured. Some lawasser could still try to come after me if someone were to get hurt.

Learn Learn Learn. It was a good question you asked.

Cowboy
Chops146 (01-29-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,160

I am trying to do the same thing now . It is extremely slow now and a lot of the problem is the weather and the time of the year. It has been a real education and a expensive one putting it together.
One thing you have to realize is that big companies are EXTREMELY SLOW TO PAY.It is nothing for them to owe a contractor $50,000 for 120 days or longer. It takes a special kind of company to withstand that kind of hit.
When I had my first business I did a lot of work for UPS. I could bill them on Monday and have the check in the bank on a Thursday. That was the exception not thr rule. I don't know how they are now. I am going to fill out a vender form for them in the immediate future. Back then we conducted business over the phone now it is all done on line. Most of the time it gets worse not better when you do stuff on line.

LC