Service tech's checklist - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Switched
  • 4 Post By 460 Delta
  • 1 Post By gpop
  • 1 Post By Flyingsod

Old 12-21-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Service tech's checklist

I oversee a growing commercial/industrial service department. We are looking for a computer program or a form that our service techs (all j-men electricians) would use on every service call, similar for example, to the form you might receive after having your oil changed at a Chevy or Ford dealership. The forms they use indicate what they checked and list any deficiencies and include the depth of the tread left on your tires. Before we build our own form, I wanted to see if there was anything in the marketplace that might serve the purpose. I have found many software applications that help with estimating, accounting, and project management, which we already use, but nothing for the field service tech. Any help is appreciated.
jimallelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,754

Check out iAuditor, it is a pretty awesome piece of software for inspections and checklists.

https://safetyculture.com/iauditor/
Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
jimallelec (12-24-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 416

It’s such a broad array of work that happens in industrial, I imagine that one form style check list would be impossible. I know that in my day to day I could be repairing a heater or pulling a bucket from a MCC, or changing out a motor, or reset overloads and fuses, or fixing a 1000 watt MH light, or the list goes on and on.
I understand that a check list brings accountability, but if that’s a avenue you want to go down, you’ll need a list for every job they are sent to.
I’m just thinking that in my job (r-mix) a check list would be nigh near impossible. JMO.
jimallelec (12-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 288

We use FormConnect Pro

LINK
jimallelec (12-24-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Itís such a broad array of work that happens in industrial, I imagine that one form style check list would be impossible. I know that in my day to day I could be repairing a heater or pulling a bucket from a MCC, or changing out a motor, or reset overloads and fuses, or fixing a 1000 watt MH light, or the list goes on and on.
I understand that a check list brings accountability, but if thatís a avenue you want to go down, youíll need a list for every job they are sent to.
Iím just thinking that in my job (r-mix) a check list would be nigh near impossible. JMO.
Im in industrial and we have check lists that we have to go over to ensure we have communicated what we are doing, what we have done and what safety precautions we have taken. On food contact surfaces we also have tool logs and other paperwork we have to complete like equipment hand off sheets.

You would be amazed how many times jobs were finished and equipment wasn't handed back or the equipment needs a different trade to complete the job but no one has passed on the message. Then theirs one of the worst offenses of simply forgetting to remove a lock which becomes a nightmare.

Most of the paper work is simply to protect us from being blamed for something or other.
460 Delta likes this.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
jimallelec (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 700

shoot me a PM. I have a simple word document that is formatted with tab stops I've used for service work in the past. It needs to be filled out on a laptop, but you could easily adapt it to meet your needs.
sparkiez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 110

I agree that one form might be a nightmare but where I used to work we made one that worked well. I wouldnít trust one that someone else made to work for me. I know from experience in our field it needs to be spartan and leave most of the page for the tech to write things. A ďchecklistĒ is going to hamper and annoy the type of people that can do industrial service work. Donít foist some generic form you find on them. Create one with them involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpop likes this.
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingsod For This Useful Post:
jimallelec (12-30-2018)