Smith and Loveless electrode vacuum sensor - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,160
Default Smith and Loveless electrode vacuum sensor

I looked at a S&L lift station this week and I have most of the control scheme figured out .
Once a high level is detected a small vacuum pump starts and pulls the main pump into a vacuum this allows the main pump to prime and start.
The vacuum sensor electrode is located in a small glass dome on the pump volute and the electrode hanges in the middle of the glass dome. there is a single wire feeding voltage to the electrode and the electrode conducts to the grounded pump assembley.
In the circuit feeding the electrode are some control logic contacts a resistor (of unspecified value) a diode, a relay coil with a capacitor (of unspecified value )in parallel to the coil and electrode which conducts to ground.
What S&L calls a electrode relay may have some circutiry in it besides coil and contacts that I do not know.
The more and more I look at the drawing the electrode may not detect a vacuum so much as it detects when the pump is flooded and that lets the pump start. However I always thought you were never allowed to use the grounded case as of equipment as a circuit conductor.
Thanks
LC

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 420

Is this a B/W liquid level control? I have a couple on water heater tanks to control the water inlet valve.When they touch water they activate a set of contacts, they're pretty tough.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

No this is a Smith and Loveless design you can go to their website and look at their pumps. You can see the glass dome on the pump. The mount is cast into the volute of the pump.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 170

Maybe they are sinking the ground for the relay,
Attached Thumbnails
Smith and Loveless electrode vacuum sensor-electrode.jpg  

Last edited by Wardenclyffe; 01-21-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 666

Having a control signal pulled to ground is not the same as using the ground as a circuit conductor. Nanoamps or less.
CoolWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

No it is a single #12 or #14 wire that is pulled in with motor circuit conductors and exits the motor lead junction box and is connectrd to the electrode on the glass dome on the pump volute.
The more I think about it I believe what they are doing is not detecting a vacuum but detecting a liquid level in the glass dome . That would confirm that the pump is primed and the pump will start.
Just my theory.
LC
Old 01-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 170

I changed my mind after seeing the picture of the domes,

in the parts ,...

https://www.smithandloveless.com/parts-catalogs
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 292

I have worked on many liquid level probes that go to case ground, I could see a vacuum working the same way. It would just have to be ultra sensitive to read the impurities in the air