Sometimes IEC actually is a better choice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By 460 Delta
  • 2 Post By John Valdes
  • 2 Post By bill39
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 658
Default Sometimes IEC actually is a better choice

I’m not sure where to post this but this is one of our plants “MCC” cabinets. This is factory as near as I can tell, mid 80’s timeline, just before IEC hit the shores. I love my NEMA stuff, but this is wrong on a multitude of levels.
Attached Thumbnails
Sometimes IEC actually is a better choice-664b3c66-aa82-4ff2-ada0-c1b5b47f7d88_1565660246812.jpeg  

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,853

From a mere price standpoint, I think it's always better. Service factor? Not my concern. Fast easy paycheck? Yep. I get better than 5 years out of them every time in my experiences. Usually more. What me worry?

P.S. Before showering me with all the hate, consider your GM vehicle and it's highly undesirable plastic door handles. But we keep buying them don't we?
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,988

IEC is a lot better in those point, size, price and security, iec are finger safe, those old nema are very dangerous when doing live troubleshooting
This panel doesn't follow manufacturer specs, they need some spacing between each starter.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 09:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 768

We use all IEC. just over size when necessary. It is cheaper and way easier to change out an entire IEC contactor that to change the contacts on a nema
tmessner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,736

I like IEC as well. Small and reliable. Great price too.
Seems its hated around here. I have an idea why, but this is not the controversial forum.
MechanicalDVR and tmessner like this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,498

What is wrong in your picture has nothing to do with NEMA or IEC, but with lack of spacing between components and properly sized wire duct.

It is a design problem not a component problem.
MechanicalDVR and glen1971 like this.
bill39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:04 PM   #7
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 15,853

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill39 View Post
What is wrong in your picture has nothing to do with NEMA or IEC, but with lack of spacing between components and properly sized wire duct.

Yes and no. Yes there is a lack of space between components . No that Hoffman box is undersized, so you couldn't get more space between components...... unless.......... You switched em all to iEC.

So then, the problem is the size of the box. Yes? No?
Old Today, 04:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Yes and no. Yes there is a lack of space between components . No that Hoffman box is undersized, so you couldn't get more space between components...... unless.......... You switched em all to iEC.

The definitive answer is....well, maybe.

It depends on how much physical space was available when the location for the box was picked out, plus what were the customer’s spec’s, if any. Were IEC components even permitted?

Sizing the enclosure is often the last thing to be done. I hate having to shoe horn things into an enclosure only to see the fitters or HVAC folks spread out like there’s no tomorrow.
bill39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:58 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 19,888

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
I like IEC as well. Small and reliable. Great price too.
Seems its hated around here. I have an idea why, but this is not the controversial forum.
I think they both have their place.

Really large high amp loads you can't beat NEMA.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #10
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill39 View Post

Yup, can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Old Today, 05:02 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post

It's just a piss poor design.
glen1971 likes this.

Old Today, 06:49 PM   #12

To everyone, there was room for a larger enclosure on the iron work, but the available space wasn't used for whatever reason. Later plants use a larger Hoffman box with IEC components with room to spare inside. Why this is made like this is anybodies guess. Honestly a 12"x12"x8' wire trough with combos kearneyed on to a cable bus would be an improvement over this, but this is what I've got. This is a glimpse into the wonderful r-mix world and my day to day doings. @John Valdes, at first blush I thought what about IEC vs NEMA would be a controversial topic that would need to be in Controversial, then I thought, yeah, it'll end up 6 pages long and way over in the weeds. I may start a thread about it in Controversial.
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #13
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
I’m not sure where to post this but this is one of our plants “MCC” cabinets. This is factory as near as I can tell, mid 80’s timeline, just before IEC hit the shores. I love my NEMA stuff, but this is wrong on a multitude of levels.
DANGER 3 PHASE lol.

This just went from order to chaos. Either lazy or underfunded maintenance or something worse.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
DANGER 3 PHASE lol.

This just went from order to chaos. Either lazy or underfunded maintenance or something worse.
Really none of the above, ignorance mostly. I buy voltage stickers and the Danger Arc Flash Hazard stickers like I own stock in a sticker plant and still only a fraction of my plants are marked.
Old Today, 09:55 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Really none of the above, ignorance mostly. I buy voltage stickers and the Danger Arc Flash Hazard stickers like I own stock in a sticker plant and still only a fraction of my plants are marked.
Doesn't look like there is space even for a sticker.