stainless steel locknuts - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By MDShunk
  • 3 Post By gpop
  • 2 Post By MDShunk
  • 1 Post By tmessner
  • 1 Post By Cow
  • 2 Post By gpop

Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 780
Default stainless steel locknuts

does anybody have any experience with standard locknuts on 306 ss boxes. I have a customer who is requiring ss enclosures where we used to use pvc. Said it "looks more professional". We are working in 10,000 cow dairy parlors with all on the job design and engineering. One my guys asked about using plated steel lock nuts on the ss enclosures and galvanic corrosion. All of the conduit is pvc using sealing washers in the wet locations.
tmessner is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

I do. They rot off. Takes a while, but it will happen. Never from galvanic corrosion... from water infiltration. All of my work these days is in a washdown environment. We use the plated locknuts if they come with fittings, but for fittings that don't come with a locknut, we use stainless steel locknuts from Calbrite and T&B. Runs in mu mind that a 3/4" SS locknut is several dollars. Oh, and don't even think about using cast locknuts in washdown. They turn to dust.

Alloy 306 seems like a strange alloy for a stainless electrical box. Typically it would be 304 or 316, with 318 hardware.
R777V likes this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,232

If they can afford SS boxes the they can afford SS hardware
Gnome, splatz and R777V like this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
If they can afford SS boxes the they can afford SS hardware
That's no crap right there. The roughly 16x16x8 Hoffman slope top watershed box I got in the other day was something like 1600 bucks.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
... using sealing washers in the wet locations.
There are some sealing rings in the market that have the metal reinforcing ring part made from ordinary steel. They rust pretty quickly and make your work look like satan's azzhole. Double check that your sealing rings have the metal part made from stainless. Most are, but a couple aren't.

Since this is field engineering, you'd be well-advised to do "bottom entry only". Or, at the very minimum, don't enter a box above energized parts or above splices.
GrayHair and Gnome like this.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
There are some sealing rings in the market that have the metal reinforcing ring part made from ordinary steel. They rust pretty quickly and make your work look like satan's azzhole. Double check that your sealing rings have the metal part made from stainless. Most are, but a couple aren't.

Since this is field engineering, you'd be well-advised to do "bottom entry only". Or, at the very minimum, don't enter a box above energized parts or above splices.
All entries in equipment boxes are bottom only. The sealing rings are T&B stainless.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

[QUOTE=MDShunk;

Alloy 306 seems like a strange alloy for a stainless electrical box. Typically it would be 304 or 316, with 318 hardware.[/QUOTE]

Wrong alloy. I should have looked it up.

Thanks for the rapid answers.
I agree on the cost. If they can afford the box they can afford the ftgs. I just have a practical mind that struggles with over the top.
R777V likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #8
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,686

I haven't used ss locknuts, but instead plastic locknuts. We get ours from Grainger I believe.

We also do dairies.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...SABEgJmYPD_BwE
Southeast Power likes this.
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Most of ss washer is typically 304 is most common I get but yes I get other grade of ss washers 316 is other common one but price get little more steeper so just be aware of cost.

I just used 13 mm ( half inch ) stainless steel washer they hit about a buck a pop so just give you a heads up on cost.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmessner View Post
All entries in equipment boxes are bottom only. The sealing rings are T&B stainless.
I used 2" sealing rings with the SS band and box adaptors at a Marina and they are still there 12 years later.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #11

I just found these: https://www.heyco.com/Liquid_Tight_C...metal-locknuts
Old 08-10-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,232

One thing to watch if you are using stainless is to never use a wire brush (unless its stainless) or a file that you have used on black iron.
If a slug buster leaves a sharp edge and you file it with a file that has been used on a standard metal box then it embeds black iron and will leave a rust stain with in a few days.
frenchelectrican and Gnome like this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
Flyingsod (11-10-2018)