Time allowed for paralleling to Utility? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Industrial Electrical Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MDShunk
  • 2 Post By nolabama
  • 1 Post By MDShunk
  • 1 Post By Trailboss

Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 310
Default Time allowed for paralleling to Utility?

Is there a rule somewhere that says how long a generator is allowed to parallel to the utility? I'm thinking specifically about ships paralleling to shore power when shutting down onboard generators and transferring load to shore.

I figured this would be an NESC type of rule?
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I have no idea, but everything in my gut says that if there's a time limit, it's dumb. Why would a utility ever bark about free power?
QMED likes this.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028
Default Call POCO

It's going to be a local power company regulation if so. X2 on its dumb if so.

We are allowed to tie our co-gen plant into the substation for any length of time. We do have to call our local power company and tell them we are doing this. I am pretty sure their backroom - or whatever its called - makes a note of this.
brian john and QMED like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 6,421

I can see the shipping company or the shipyard having their own time limit, or maybe more like a goal. That would make more sense than the utility having a time limit.

I worked at a place for a spell that got a little bit of a power discount if the utility could start our generators remotely during peak time. They were indoor generators and it would scare the crap out of me sometimes if they just started up when I was near them. Black magic.
nolabama likes this.

Last edited by MDShunk; 02-28-2018 at 08:04 AM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I can see the shipping company or the shipyard having their own time limit, or maybe more like a goal. That would make more sense than the utility having a time limit.

I worked at a place for a spell that got a little bit of a power discount if the utility could start our generators remotely during peak time. They were indoor generators and it would scare the crap out of me sometimes if they just started up when I was near them. Black magic.
That's hilarious same thing happened to me the other day when I was working on a generator space heater. Engine next to me started up and I got a nice blast of oil mist from the air starter.

Yeah there are time limits programmed in. 15 seconds is what we have now. The power management system parallels and unloads but 15 seconds and the generator breaker opens
QMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMED View Post
Is there a rule somewhere that says how long a generator is allowed to parallel to the utility? I'm thinking specifically about ships paralleling to shore power when shutting down onboard generators and transferring load to shore.

I figured this would be an NESC type of rule?
It depending on the POCO regulations reguarding using ship generators paralleling to the utility source.

some will say unlimited time but some say just for a short time all it depending on the grid set up and what the POCO got on their side. ( most case typically less than a minuite )

but for smaller ships they do have open translation from ship generator to shore source however .,, the larger ship and smaller ships do have sychronous control to handle the correct phase sequice and HZ due most forgein ships do typically use 50 HZ system and others use 60 HZ setting.
few do have dual setting but that is kinda rare.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 7,604

It depends.
If it’s a civilian ship then it’s as per the yards utility agreements.
If it’s a gov then it’s based on the needs of the ship.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 78

Worked on shore based floating fish processing ship, had to run our generators for production because of issues between the state pier and the power company in getting us a bigger feed. That was back in 2007 when diesel prices were very high.
QMED likes this.
Trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote